LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Excessive gas tank sweating

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Excessive gas tank sweating

After I fixed my fuel gauge and put the fuel pump back in I noticed gas pooling up slowly around the red area in the pic below (I have the access door open). Its not leaking, its sweating if you know what I mean and it actually does it enough to pool up in the valley around the retainer. Ive never watched it before, didnt have a reason to. I think it might be normal to do it a little but is this normal? Maybe I need a new gasket for the retainer? What do you guys think? I think its something worth getting as many opinions as possible being gas and all. Thanks alot.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

What kind of fuel are you running and is it cool to the touch? Cold like a soda can?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

I havent even put gas in this thing since I bought it, it was full. Ive been working on it. I assume its 93 but for all I know it could be 87. I didnt touch it so I dont know if it was cold. I think it was hot. The heat index was like 105 or 110 that day.
I can touch it next time I run it.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
I havent even put gas in this thing since I bought it, it was full. Ive been working on it. I assume its 93 but for all I know it could be 87. I didnt touch it so I dont know if it was cold. I think it was hot. The heat index was like 105 or 110 that day.
I can touch it next time I run it.
Deff check it out. I've never heard of something like that before. Also, you fuel pump wires don't look so healthy. Look like they have been hot... right where they go into the yellow plastic piece...
Old 08-15-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlownEarDrums
Deff check it out. I've never heard of something like that before. Also, you fuel pump wires don't look so healthy. Look like they have been hot... right where they go into the yellow plastic piece...
Yeah, the wires were the first thing I noticed. I've still got some work to do. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Heres a pic of it where its doing it. Its int cold to the touch. It feels the same temp as it is outside. When I turn the car off it actually start to bubble and fizz around the retainer.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Quick vid of it right after I shut it off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8-JAJ1pNbs
Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Take it back apart and make sure the seal isn't out of place. The seals like to move sometimes when you're trying to put everything together. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slowmaro95Z28
Take it back apart and make sure the seal isn't out of place. The seals like to move sometimes when you're trying to put everything together. Good luck.
I did that right before I took the video. It didnt change anything. The seal isnt brittle and looks pretty good except for a few minor tears on the edge but that shouldnt produce all this. Its crazy how you can see the gas forming when it does it and then it eventually sweats enough to form a liquid pool.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

I did that right before I took the video. It didnt change anything. The seal isnt brittle and looks pretty good except for a few minor tears on the edge but that shouldnt produce all this. Its crazy how you can see the gas forming when it does it and then it eventually sweats enough to form a liquid pool.
Any tears in a seal could be bad news. A small tear can make huge problems if it's let go. That could also explain why the gas is leaking slowly and not pouring out. How much can a new seal be? My last one was around $5. Spending money sucks but if it solves the problem it's worth it.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slowmaro95Z28
Any tears in a seal could be bad news. A small tear can make huge problems if it's let go. That could also explain why the gas is leaking slowly and not pouring out. How much can a new seal be? My last one was around $5. Spending money sucks but if it solves the problem it's worth it.
It really isnt ripped in crucial spots but I guess I'll try that. Only takes 5 minutes to do anyway plus, I dont know what else it could be.
Thanks for your help. Anyone else? Can anyone take a look at there own really quick?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

I forgot to say in my last post but make sure the sending unit sits all the way down in the tank and also make sure the sending unit retainer isn't bent or anything. Also check for dirt or anything in the way of the seal. I really hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

^Im gonna check it one more time. Im also going to take the gas cap off and see if it stops. Could be an EVAP problem or something. I forgot to check for that.

Why is an excessive body odor ad coming up lol.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

^Im gonna check it one more time. Im also going to take the gas cap off and see if it stops. Could be an EVAP problem or something. I forgot to check for that.
Even if there was an evap problem it wouldn't push gas past a seal like that. It would cause pressure but a seal shouldn't leak no matter what you do unless it or the parts it goes between are bad. I'm extremely curious now to see what the problem is.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

I'll post back later tonight. Also, where did you find that gasket? I went to advance, Oreillys, and NAPA online and the gasket comes with the new fuel pump but I couldnt find it seperate.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

I got my last one at Advance years ago when I worked there. I just checked a few places online and had no luck. I would ask around if anyone carries a fuel pump strainer kit with a seal. That should be the cheapest if you can't find them alone. A dealership might be a good idea since it is a cheap part. If none of this works I might have a new seal still in the plastic at my dad's house. Let me know how it goes and I'll keep trying to help any way I can.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Alright guys and gals. It finally cooled off some here so I went out, made sure everything was installed correct and lined up (again), took the gas cap off, and fired it up. Well with the cap off it barely made any kind condensation/sweat which I think is normal. Think about it. how can gas make it all the way up going against gravity. Has to be some kind of condensation. So I put the cap back on and it starts doing it like before (sweating profusely). So what should I do? Maybe vent the gas cap?

Quick Reply: Excessive gas tank sweating