LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 trans am check engin problem HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 trans am check engin problem HELP!!!

ok so i have a 95 ta i bought an its 6 speed lt1 an ther is a problem i have tried to fix but havent been able to find the problem.. the problem is kinda werid if u ask me but i figured id give this a shot an hope i get a good answere... ok here we go lol.. i can run the car well but after it warms up a bit it starts to bog/sputter/ an tried to die, but when the check engin light comes on the car runs like its brand new... the light shuts off everytime the car is tured off but doesnt come right back on when started again.. it usually takes 5 to 10 mins for the light to come on again... an then it runs great once again... i tried to have the check engin codes pulled but the engin wont send any codes. all it will send is error.. i hope ppl can understadn what im say because i dont think its a big problem fix i just cant find it...
Old 08-31-2010, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

The problem you are seeing with it pulling codes is the fact that it's ODBI with an ODBII plug. Most places like Autozone don't know how to deal with that. Your main problem sounds similar to what my 95 did when the Opti started to go out. Hope that helps some.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:10 AM
Teching In

what exctly id the opti? sorry if thats a stupid question i dont know much about the lt1 motor..
Old 08-31-2010, 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

It's basically the distributor. Dubbed the opti, or optispark, because it uses an optical sensor to determine the position of the crank.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:23 AM
Staging Lane

I'd recommend taking it to a service center that can read the codes to make sure. Changing the optispark out isn't a 15-20 minute job. Lots of stuff has to come off the front of the engine, and the cooling system gets drained.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
FormerVendor

You're going to want to get codes somehow before deciding to go with a new optispark. Besides being expensive the install is definitely not fun.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Teching In

I had a similar problem with my 95 Formula. It would run poorly until the service engine light came on and then it would run a lot better. The problem was one of the oxygen sensors went bad. I think it was the passenger side. What was happening was when the engine was using the data from the bad oxygen sensor it was running badly either getting too much or too little gas. When the service engine light came on the engine reverted to default or limp home mode. This is when the fuel injectors are run by a preset map. This is so you won't be stranded when the oxygen sensors go bad. This may or may not be your problem. Get the oxygen sensors checked to be sure. Since this is an OBDI system the oxygen sensors aren't as expensive as the ODBII sensors. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Teching In

hey roger thanks a million man the 02 replacement was what i needed an now it runs amazing

Quick Reply: 95 trans am check engin problem HELP!!!