This ever happen to anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This ever happen to anyone?

So this morning I started my car and heard some squealing from my power steering pump. I thought, "Whatever, I'll have it looked at later." So I'm on my way to work and the squealing goes away. A few miles later, I faintly smell power steering fluid, but think it's my imagination. Then I hear a klunk and something drop from the engine bay. My power steering was out, so I coast to the closest neighborhood. I turn off the car, pop the hood, and coolant was coming out of the radiator cap, and was everywhere. The pulley on the front of my power steering pump was gone, and the serpentine belt with it. Coolant and what was possibly power steering fluid was ALL over the ground on my passenger side.

This ever happen to anyone? Is this an expensive problem?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slash8915
So this morning I started my car and heard some squealing from my power steering pump. I thought, "Whatever, I'll have it looked at later." So I'm on my way to work and the squealing goes away. A few miles later, I faintly smell power steering fluid, but think it's my imagination. Then I hear a klunk and something drop from the engine bay. My power steering was out, so I coast to the closest neighborhood. I turn off the car, pop the hood, and coolant was coming out of the radiator cap, and was everywhere. The pulley on the front of my power steering pump was gone, and the serpentine belt with it. Coolant and what was possibly power steering fluid was ALL over the ground on my passenger side.

This ever happen to anyone? Is this an expensive problem?
Yes it happen to me cost me about $175 for new power steering pump and coolant... I found out later my pulley on the pump was bad and caused it to break the Pump. The pulley cut a hole in the Pump.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Launching!

E46 BMWs have a really common problem where the impeller inside the PS pump sheers off and occationally can throw a belt. I don't put it past any PS pump to do the same after seeing that.

Luckily, these LS1s don't over heat really bad or else you could have been screwed and needed a head/gasket job.

Just buy a new pump and figure out why coolant was coming out of your radiator cap. It should have been going into the over flow tank. Either way, it was already getting hot if it was pushing coolant out.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:09 PM
9 Second Club

So it shouldn't be too expensive to fix? Good. I'd post pictures, but it says uploads are disabled.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Launching!

It depends on what your definition of "expensive" is. Probably in the $100-$200 range, if I had to guess... Unless you damaged anything else by over heating it.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:53 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
It depends on what your definition of "expensive" is. Probably in the $100-$200 range, if I had to guess... Unless you damaged anything else by over heating it.
$100-$200 would be fine with me. Anywhere north of $500 and I might not be so content.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Default Yes! This morning!

Hi,

I kid you not, this happened today at 10am:

I got in and started my car and I heard the belt squealing......Well, I thought, well, the belt is old; I should take a look at it when I get back. But for some reason I shut her down and popped the hood. I looked at the belt and it looked fine. I was checking the tensioner and idler when my hand rubbed on the power steering pulley and.......to my amazement it, did I see that right??? Did it move??? Yup it did and it was about to cut into my reservoir! Needless to say, I'm out of my Camaro for the 3 day weekend.

What are the chances of ours failing on the same day? I wonder if there is a silent recall on this? Oh, and my car only has about 7k miles on it. So it wasn't overused.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Teching In

Does the pump have to be removed to replace the pulley?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:56 AM
9 Second Club

Man, I wish it would let me upload the pics. That's what mine did. The pulley cut into the reservoir.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/

For about $100, these guys will rebuild your existing pump and valve it so that this will never happen again with or without a PS cooler.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Man, I wish it would let me upload the pics. That's what mine did. The pulley cut into the reservoir.
Well, my pulley was about 0.5 mm from cutting the reservoir. Had I driven off I would have been in the same spot as you!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Anyone know what makes the pulley (GM Part No. 12559885) unique to the 98-02 F-body? Can an aftermarket pulley, such as a March Performance be used? Otherwise I'll have to order it from the stealer or GMPD and its gona take a week to get.

Oh, does the pump have to be removed to change the pulley?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssorange
Anyone know what makes the pulley (GM Part No. 12559885) unique to the 98-02 F-body? Can an aftermarket pulley, such as a March Performance be used? Otherwise I'll have to order it from the stealer or GMPD and its gona take a week to get.

Oh, does the pump have to be removed to change the pulley?
Like you said the pulley cut into the power stearling pump... I would replaced everything just to play it safe.

When mine did this it cost me $175 might as well get it all done now so later you dont have anymore problems.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car has been sitting up for awhile, and after the run of rain and moisture that we had the pulley started making the "crickets chirping" noise. I would run and idle the car and eventually it went away after a few drives. I think some moisture might have gotten into the bearings.

After reading this thread though Ill be sure to take a look at it.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssorange
Hi,

I kid you not, this happened today at 10am:

I got in and started my car and I heard the belt squealing......Well, I thought, well, the belt is old; I should take a look at it when I get back. But for some reason I shut her down and popped the hood. I looked at the belt and it looked fine. I was checking the tensioner and idler when my hand rubbed on the power steering pulley and.......to my amazement it, did I see that right??? Did it move??? Yup it did and it was about to cut into my reservoir! Needless to say, I'm out of my Camaro for the 3 day weekend.

What are the chances of ours failing on the same day? I wonder if there is a silent recall on this? Oh, and my car only has about 7k miles on it. So it wasn't overused.
You jinxed me. My trucks ps just started making noise. Guess I will have to check my pump.

Mitch, PSC is the ****. Ive used their full hydro steering on a few off road toys. Great people, and a good product.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Exclamation Is My Pump Shot Too???

Hi guys, I'm taking my pulley off and I've noticed that the pump shaft is moving in-and-out. Is this normal? Or is my pump shot too?

If I need a new pump can I use a Corvette pump? Or should I go with something like a TurnOne pump?

If I go with PSC to get a rebuilt pump, do they rebuild my pump or send me an already rebuilt one?

Please help. Thanks!
-John

Quick Reply: This ever happen to anyone?