LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PCV Catch Can Setup/Writeup... PICS!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Catch Can Setup/Writeup... PICS!!

I know that this question is asked a lot on this board so here is a write-up in progress.

This is meant to try to pull oil out of the intake mainfold and it costs very little to do.

Here is the link to the air/water seperator you use as the catch can --->

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100027474

You will also need two (2) brass 1/4" NPT male thread to 3/8" hose barb fittings

You will need a decent length of 3/8" heater hose (cheap) rubber tubing.

Here are pics of the Husky oil/water seperator:

The oil/water seperator gets connected between the PCV vavle on the drivers side of the intake (shown below)

and the other end goes to the port below the throttle body (shown below)

Use as much hose as you like to mount the oil/water seperator where you want it. Mine is going below the drivers side cylinder head.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I appreciate the pics, I've been planning on rigging one of those up soon. For some reason none of my local Home Depots or Lowes carry 3/8" inside diameter fuel line or heater hose so that's my current hold up. I fabbed one up on my Mom's TBSS with a similar air compressor filter and that sucker really does work, can't beat it for the $$$. Not sure if you are aware but you will need to close up the bottom of the filter with something because oil will slowly drip out, I glued the one made for my Mom and it works perfect.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

^^ Thanks. I was looking at that. I have yet to sinstall this fully, but figured I would make a thread with pics to help anyone else that may be trying to do the same thing im doing. I do have one question though:

The oil/water seperator has an INLET and OUTLET side. Which side needs to be pointed toward the PCV valve? I just have no idea which way the air actually flows through the system
Old 09-05-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Just did mine today don't know what happen but after install and 10 min of driving my low rpm back fire went away and knock senser reads right now and smooth as Hell up top....so call me crazy but I think the oil in the intake had something to do with it..
Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

wow very cool. Can you answer my above question on inlet/outlet?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need a pix that already on the car lol. btw I did this few year ago on mustang, and alot peoples those me that, synthetic oil will eat that yellow stuff inside the huskey. just take it off anyway.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
^^ Thanks. I was looking at that. I have yet to sinstall this fully, but figured I would make a thread with pics to help anyone else that may be trying to do the same thing im doing. I do have one question though:

The oil/water seperator has an INLET and OUTLET side. Which side needs to be pointed toward the PCV valve? I just have no idea which way the air actually flows through the system
I don't know either but I assume the the outlet in the front of manifold should lead to the inlet of the separator and therefore the outlet of the separator should lead to the PCV valve. I hope someone can chime in to verify that.

BTW, I took apart our old dishwasher today so I could scrap some of the copper and I found some 3/8" heater hose in there so I can finally rig it up. I can't believe they don't sell 3/8" hose around here.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Don't think it matter what side you put it on, but the pvc side sucks and the fresh air side pulls so either way it going to pull it threw the filter...
Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Here is a picture to describe what I need to know.

The pipe circled in red is how the stock PCV is setup on a stock car and is what the air flows throw. The Husky filter needs to get connected inline with that pipe somehow.

Does the air flow in the path of the red arrow or the blue arrow?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by killagt
I need a pix that already on the car lol. btw I did this few year ago on mustang, and alot peoples those me that, synthetic oil will eat that yellow stuff inside the huskey. just take it off anyway.
is this the "yellow" stuff you are talking about? Did the oil actually eat it away on yours? Or did you just hear that?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes the sysnthetic eat away, that y i ask question year ago, i think if u look closer it should have a little sticker say " not combatible with sysnthetic " or something like that. i just take that part off.

here what it look like on my mustang

btw the version you bought , have that turn ****, it will or made leak out at the bottem, I end up have to exchange for different version, and when it time to drain the oil , i just uncrew the whole tube part and drain it out. and wipe it off with paper tower,
Old 09-06-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

ok thanks. I'll be sure to get rid of that then and plug up the bottom of the clear plastic part.

I jsut need to know where to put the inlet/outlet and I will mount it up and get pics for you guys
Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

I'm wanting to do this guys but have a question first.

Some LT1s have the PVC on the intake manifold as above, that just loops right back into the intake. And others have the PVC routed to the front of the intake under the throttle body.

So my question is, which way is correct/better? And does it matter. Mine is looped right back in beside the PVC itself. And its just home made with a fuel line as I have no idead where the original piece went. Can I route mine to the front????
Old 09-06-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jayz28
I'm wanting to do this guys but have a question first.

Some LT1s have the PVC on the intake manifold as above, that just loops right back into the intake. And others have the PVC routed to the front of the intake under the throttle body.

So my question is, which way is correct/better? And does it matter. Mine is looped right back in beside the PVC itself. And its just home made with a fuel line as I have no idead where the original piece went. Can I route mine to the front????
yes I believe you can. But you can rig it up to use that same port that is right beside the PCV valve, you will just have to get creative where you run the hose.

Stang GT: How much oil were you getting in that thing? Did you notice any difference?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Here is a picture to describe what I need to know.

The pipe circled in red is how the stock PCV is setup on a stock car and is what the air flows throw. The Husky filter needs to get connected inline with that pipe somehow.

Does the air flow in the path of the red arrow or the blue arrow?

The blue arrow is correct - Oil vapor in the engine will be drawn through the PCV valve, which leads directly to the crankcase below.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes I believe you can. But you can rig it up to use that same port that is right beside the PCV valve, you will just have to get creative where you run the hose.

Stang GT: How much oil were you getting in that thing? Did you notice any difference?
98- mustang gt have bad valve seal from factory, so I catch alot of oil, mabe 3k miles is half of the tube if full of oil, I saw TB alot cleaner and not much oil after install the catch can.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan if you don't mind I can compile this as a page on my website so it can be linked easily. I'll of course credit you. Nice writeup!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jb442
The blue arrow is correct - Oil vapor in the engine will be drawn through the PCV valve, which leads directly to the crankcase below.
Thanks! that is exactly what I need to know.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
Ryan if you don't mind I can compile this as a page on my website so it can be linked easily. I'll of course credit you. Nice writeup!
I dont mind at all Joel! I will get a few pics more of what else you will need to do it and how it looks when its totally done

Quick Reply: PCV Catch Can Setup/Writeup... PICS!!