Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eliminating Header Tick..??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Eliminating Header Tick..??

I am trying to find a way to quiet down the ticking you get with headers. I have the LPP stainless steal headers and was thinking about possibly using some header wrap to see if that will give me a muffling affect to quiet them down. I am going to check and double check for leaks, but I just installed brand new gaskets and really don't think it is leaking. I read all the horror stories about the wrap with fires and corroding the metal. However, these are stainless and it is not my DD so the wrap will not be getting filthy dirty. I don't really want to cover them cause they do look good but I would rather cover them and not have the ticking. Will the wrap make them quieter?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Headers should not tick. If it only began when you installed the headers you probably have a leak. Many of the cheaper stainless ones have problems with the welds around the collector. My SLP's always leaked no matter what I did, it drove me nuts so I took them off and put stock manifolds back on. I'm ordering kooks right now, hopefully with the higher quality they will not have leaking issues.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Headers should not tick. If it only began when you installed the headers you probably have a leak. Many of the cheaper stainless ones have problems with the welds around the collector. My SLP's always leaked no matter what I did, it drove me nuts so I took them off and put stock manifolds back on. I'm ordering kooks right now, hopefully with the higher quality they will not have leaking issues.
I'm not so sure he was meaning that the tick was a leak but rather the fact that header tick is usually the hollow sound you can hear from under the car and under load when you accelerate. Bottom line is that the headers are thinner than manifolds so they tend to make noises from the car more audible that is not to say you dont have an exhuast leak I'm just saying that headers do tick on their own its just not the same as an exhaust leak sound. Mine have that sound and dont leak you can hear a slight tick under the car but the gaskets are tight and i show no blowby at the collector.
But to answer your question header wrap may help dampen the sound but they can rust them quickly as they tend to hold moisture
Old 09-06-2010, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ What he said. Seems like all the lower to mid range priced headers do it. The arh's, kooks and so on arent as bad since they use a thicker metal. I just made myself deal with it, or at least till i can afford nicer ones! I've used wrap on a older car with hooker headers and it really accelerated the rust, they came off quick...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

Yes that is the sound I am referring to. These are stainless steel so they shouldn't rust under normal conditions, the wrap doesn't change something to where they will rust will it? I have also heard wrap will make the metal brittle from the heat not escaping? Stainless should hold up better to this than normal steel right?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah you do have a point there with the stainless. I have a buddy with a turbo DSM with a stainless turbo header wrapped with no problems that i know of, its been like that for years. I just wonder if it will really help with the noise.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Well my thinking was that mufflers are made with fiberglass for sound dampening and the wrap is fiberglass. It might not eliminate it totally but if it would reduce it a decent amount it would make it so much better. I just want to be able to hear the exhaust coming from the mufflers not from the engine bay. ha ha!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Should help, but I like the sound of the headers. Makes the car sound meaner. Solid rollers are add even more engine noise and I love it.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Ha ha, I guess I am getting old. I like some of the noise, it just seems to be a little excessive. I might still have a leak somewhere but I think I might try this and see how it goes.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea I was getting annoyed with the tick that's went up and down with my rpm range too.... Then I put some gloves on and wiggled my rear drivers side plug wire and would get it to stop. Took the wire off and crimped it a little better and put it back on. My tick went away. Well and I had to tighten the header bolts a little bit.

Quick Reply: Eliminating Header Tick..??