Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for new valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time for new valve springs

I have a '99 Trans Am, which was bought with the heads/cam already done. The heads are 5.3 truck heads, I'm believing not ported due to numbers.

Anyway, I was told that the cam is a 232/240 .598/.608 110lsa cam, comp custom grind. I'm guesstimating that the cam went in around 100k. It's running great now, but it has 135k on it, and I'm thinking that I'm a little over due for springs.

I'm not sure which ones I want to go with. What would be a good spring set up for a cam of that size?

I was thinking the Patriot Golds, but a friend told me to stay away from Patriot springs, and go with a Comp Cams spring set up to match the cam. He's a Ford guy anyway, but what springs to get?

Thanks,
4WOFURY
Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Pull one and have it checked.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent heard anything bad about the patriot springs. I know a few guys running them.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What spring are currently installed?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought Patriot Gold Xtreme springs for my LS3 heads but they installed at a much lower height than advertised, and as a result would have reached coil bind with the ~.640 cam I intend to run.

If you buy Patriots (actually, any spring), at a minimum make sure that you measure the installed height and verify that you're ok. Don't just install them and assume that they're ok.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
I havent heard anything bad about the patriot springs. I know a few guys running them.
Well for the OP I would not run the Patriot Gold. There is a reason some sponsers on here have stopped carrying there springs. I have a buddy that had Patriot Gold Extreams with a .650 lift and he broke 1 just at 15k on them. If your wanting to get the best get PAC made with the best stuff out there. Just spend the extra money and not have to worry about it.Cheaping out is not a good idea when it comes to internal parts, if one of your valve springs fail you could really be in a world of hurt.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I guess I have to change my OP then lol. PRC's or TEA's are supposed to be better?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend the PRC's. I run them on my car.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:18 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
I bought Patriot Gold Xtreme springs for my LS3 heads but they installed at a much lower height than advertised, and as a result would have reached coil bind with the ~.640 cam I intend to run.

If you buy Patriots (actually, any spring), at a minimum make sure that you measure the installed height and verify that you're ok. Don't just install them and assume that they're ok.
Solid advice in this post.

The Patriot Golds .650 are a decent spring. After using a few sets of the Xtremes, I'm not as big of a fan of them anymore.

With a .608 cam there's tons of options that will handle that cam no problem. If you want a spring that will handle that lift all day long, and provide a lot lighter valvetrain then check out PSI springs. I run their single spring on LSL lobed cams (.610-.620) with zero problems, and half the weight/harmonics of a big heavy double spring.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The PRC spring kits are made of higher quality material, and the small parts of the kit (seats and retainers) are held to a higher degree of quality control and tighter machining tolerances than their competitor's kits.

Let us know if we can help!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
Well, I guess I have to change my OP then lol. PRC's or TEA's are supposed to be better?
PAC or PRC are the two best ones I like.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
The PRC spring kits are made of higher quality material, and the small parts of the kit (seats and retainers) are held to a higher degree of quality control and tighter machining tolerances than their competitor's kits.

Let us know if we can help!
And by sponsers not carrying Patroit I was manly talking about Texas Speed. These guy have a great rep and will answer your questions the best.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by NoTractionLS1
And by sponsers not carrying Patroit I was manly talking about Texas Speed. These guy have a great rep and will answer your questions the best.
Thanks for the recommendation! To be clear, we DO offer other springs and kits aside from the PRC (PAC, Comp, and Manley just to name a few)....just not the spring kit mentioned in the original post

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Hmmm, weird people are now having issues with Patriot springs. I have a set of their Patriot Gold Duals on my 5.3 heads and have put about 50k miles on them without a single issue. I was plannin on throwin a new set on at the end of the year if they need replaced when we check them. Only reason I let them ride so long is b/c my cam isnt very aggressive & I havent seen any issues that would lead me to believe my springs are worn to the point of needing replaced just yet.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Did you check installed heights, Mike? No more lift than you're running, it likely isn't a big concern even if they are off....but on the more aggressive lobes with more lift, that becomes even more important! There could be many more of these kits out there that are setup improperly, but most don't check that to know that the retainer is cut wrong.

So is ignorance really bliss like they say???

Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Hmmm, weird people are now having issues with Patriot springs. I have a set of their Patriot Gold Duals on my 5.3 heads and have put about 50k miles on them without a single issue. I was plannin on throwin a new set on at the end of the year if they need replaced when we check them. Only reason I let them ride so long is b/c my cam isnt very aggressive & I havent seen any issues that would lead me to believe my springs are worn to the point of needing replaced just yet.
I would pull one and measure spring pressure. With my 918s, when one broke, I measured the rest and was 100lbs down, at open height. Not sure of mileage on mine tho.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Did you check installed heights, Mike? No more lift than you're running, it likely isn't a big concern even if they are off....but on the more aggressive lobes with more lift, that becomes even more important! There could be many more of these kits out there that are setup improperly, but most don't check that to know that the retainer is cut wrong.

So is ignorance really bliss like they say???
No, I bought a stock set of castings from Bo White. He did the work on the heads & then took them over to Gunnar@Patriot & had him assemble them & flow them. Then Bo picked them up & shipped them to me.

I installed them right outta the box expecting everything to be on point & so far 3yrs/50k miles later I havent had a single valvetrain issue. I know this is typically a big no no, but for some reason I put my full trust in Bo/Gunnar & they came thru for me.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont make my mistake make plans to change out valve seals while in you are in there.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Maybe people not checking installed heights has been a reason for some spring failures.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:39 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Maybe people not checking installed heights has been a reason for some spring failures.
That is a huge reason. Everybody wants to be quick and blame it on the spring. But yet their install consisted of them reading LS1how on how to hang parts on a car and let it ride.

I personally don't know anyone (other than some other reputable LSX shops) that takes the time to check spring height.