Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Magic Stick 4 cam questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP Magic Stick 4 cam questions?

Looking for some input from those that are currently running the TSP Magic stick 4 cam (kit): Did you install any additional supporting mods at the time of the install or shortly there after? If so was it for piece of mind or it would be just plain stupid to not have done this. Overall how happy are you with the cam & how would you compare it to prevous cams you have had?

I could also use some feed back on my current set-up as to what I NEED for this cam install. (I plan on installing a new timming chain as well).

Vehicle:
2004 GTO
A4 with Vig 3600 stall
Dynatech LT's & catted mids (Stock mufflers)
Ported TB
K&N intake
SLP UDP
Tune (Dyno)

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Not a single post?
I was actually reluctant to post this thread in fear of having really no posts to my name and being flammed beyond recognition, but just abbandoned I suppose was the polite thing to do.

C'mon guys someone on here has first hand expierence that can provide me some insight or options to consider prior to a head & intake upgrade at the same time as my funds are restricted. Looking for suggestions on my 42k mi drivetrain... Did you or do you reccomend lifters (any specific to use or avoid), rockers, oil pump, injectors, or something I haven't considered but should have? Do I need to provide more information, like my intentions? I want to build a NA car that will run consistantly in the 11's with out stripping the car to a shell. Or if I haven't come to the realization that I am acting like a jack hole then tell me.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Launching!

i had a ms4 in my car and loved it pulls like a mad man up top! you will need valve springs i used patriot 660's and comp 7.4 push rods but i would double check that with a push rod checking tool also texas speed ported oil pump and ls2 timing chain would be good to upgrade at that time also it mite not be a bad idea to replace the lifters and trays so you will also need a head gasket and bolt kit all of this can be had from texas speed as well.

good luck.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mightybird
i had a ms4 in my car and loved it pulls like a mad man up top! you will need valve springs i used patriot 660's and comp 7.4 push rods but i would double check that with a push rod checking tool also texas speed ported oil pump and ls2 timing chain would be good to upgrade at that time also it mite not be a bad idea to replace the lifters and trays so you will also need a head gasket and bolt kit all of this can be had from texas speed as well.

good luck.
Thank you for some advice.

I am waiting for the TSP cam kit (includes springs & rods, ect) & their double roller timming chain. Thank you for ensuring that is done as a bare minimum. Is there a reason to do the lifters (I mean new ls7 lifters are around the $100 mark so not a big deal, but just want to know if there is any improvement to performance or reliablity maybe?) The trays; this is first time I have heard of of replacing these for a cam or recommend to.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a week out from slappin a ms3, I have a m6 but make sure the ms4 goes with the stall converter you are running,I do believe push rod length for that cam is 4.250,double check that though,another thing is a set of gears are needed to get the most out of that cam same with the ms3,don't know what you really are looking to do with the car but I would go no lower than 4.10s and if it was mine I would go a lil higher than that. Ms4 also straight loves nitrious.you'll want a higher gear to get you into the power band faster.call tsp before you order, there could be a way better cam for you with your stall,the ms3 n 4s are great cams but there could be something better for you or a custom grind.it all depends on future plans heads,gears,n20,etc. Hopefully someone running a ms4 with an auto will give ya better info,or maybe correct if I was a lil off on something but I think I'm correct.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Captain Double Post

And go with the tsp ported ls6 oil pump,I wouldn't go with anyother pump with a cam that size,and a cam that big is never gonna run as good as stock no matter what you will read someone write,for a hardcore ls1 owner that cam could be fine with them I like fighting the cam surge and rough lope of a big cam,yes tunning will help and how good it runs on the street will depend on how skilled your tunner is,but like I said there are diffrent people with diffrent opinions,and I wouldn't shoot for dyno numbers that isn't gonna help you in a race . I have seen guys running smaller lscams beat guys running the bigger ones,every car is diffrent and that cam could make 405hp in someone elsess car could only make 390 in yours.like I said call matt at texas speed he knows way more about ls motors than I ever will,just tell him your goals for the car and they will fix ya up right.again I'm new to the ls game and only been working on mine for a lil over a year . So if I'm off on something correct me. Good luck in your build I wish ya the best,one more thing if you have future plans for the car let matt know better to plan ahead then have to go back and waste money.sure you know a lot of this info, god bless you
Old 09-17-2010, 07:55 AM
11 Second Club

i installed the kit, double roller chain, melling oil pump, new lifters and havent looked back since

i love my cam, it pulls like crazy sounds great and really isnt too bad of a street cam.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
...I do believe push rod length for that cam is 4.250,double check that though...
You mean 7.4250?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Captain Double Post

Yeah that is what I ment lol,I gotta stop writing comments and watching tv.lol
Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
And go with the tsp ported ls6 oil pump,I wouldn't go with anyother pump with a cam that size,and a cam that big is never gonna run as good as stock no matter what you will read someone write,for a hardcore ls1 owner that cam could be fine with them I like fighting the cam surge and rough lope of a big cam,yes tunning will help and how good it runs on the street will depend on how skilled your tunner is,but like I said there are diffrent people with diffrent opinions,and I wouldn't shoot for dyno numbers that isn't gonna help you in a race . I have seen guys running smaller lscams beat guys running the bigger ones,every car is diffrent and that cam could make 405hp in someone elsess car could only make 390 in yours.like I said call matt at texas speed he knows way more about ls motors than I ever will,just tell him your goals for the car and they will fix ya up right.again I'm new to the ls game and only been working on mine for a lil over a year . So if I'm off on something correct me. Good luck in your build I wish ya the best,one more thing if you have future plans for the car let matt know better to plan ahead then have to go back and waste money.sure you know a lot of this info, god bless you
I am not too concerned about cam surge or rough lope. However, what I would be concerned about is if the car will die at stop lights or when parking. I would like to avoid the stare from the wife in front of spectators reinforcing my toolmanship to them when ever possible.

Not against the pump & will go ahead and get one as cheap insurance at the time of install.

You mentioned HP dyno numbers. I am not intending on building a roller racer but a streetabe & occasional weekend track car that gets into the 11's consistantly.

Last edited by MD04Goat; 09-18-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: edit
Old 09-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
i installed the kit, double roller chain, melling oil pump, new lifters and havent looked back since

i love my cam, it pulls like crazy sounds great and really isnt too bad of a street cam.
Not sure if these are your mods, could you help me with where you are in comparsion to me at the time of your install (do you have heads & intake)?
Any driveabilty issues, not it dosen't drive like stock but does it stall out? What lifters did you install & would you change them? Stock fuel injectors or did change them?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With that cam a 4000+ stall would be a good investment as well as a fast intake. That cam is going to need to breath. 11's should be no problem even in the summer heat.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Why do so many of you guys sweat the Magic Stick cams?
Old 09-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
Exactly.

Leaves me still trying to decide between a Comp 54-444-11 or a MS3....
Old 09-18-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
PTV issues... as long as people stay w stock style heads or Trick flow heads then they will b fine.... ive got almost 20,000 miles of my T-REX cam with a ton of track passes 3 bottles and 24thousands
ptv clearance
Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had P&P TB, Mac Mid Length headers, O/R Y, Borla CB, stock LS6 intake. 2002 M6 T/A.

I installed ported LS6 pump, LS2 chain, MS4, PRC gold dual springs & rets etc, and 7.425 PRs. Car ran horrible w/out tune. Once tuned, it was good, never died or surged or anything else. I sheared a rocker bolt, 5 miles after the dyno and street tune session. I knew this was a possibility due to the shitty nature of installing those same rocker bolts.

After that I picked up some 799 heads 7.400 PRs. Made around 420 rwhp and 390 rwtq. This was on a mustang dyno as well. Car ran good while it lasted, but my hydraulics and clutch couldn't handle it. I ended up stepping up to a Monster Stg IV with Tick MC. That was fun for a while, but I ran out of injectors.

You will be pretty close to maxing out stock injectors beyond whatever else you do. If you ever do step up to a FAST or other heads, etc, you will definitely have to install injectors. I remember running pretty high duty cycle being cam only. Ideally I would of liked to put a new set in, but never got around to it until the engine locked up.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Update:
MS4 Kit & Double roller timimg set arrived yesterday, and after a brief moment of hesistation install date is set for next week. My shop is strongly advising me to install new roller lifters for this cam. I did a google search and there apperantly is a size difference between the LS1 & LS7 lifters is this difference of concern with my pushrods of 7.425 that came with the kit to be concerned with?

So with that said, who has the most competive price on a set?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

I can get you setup with a set of you want. However, you will have to pull the heads off to do so. You will need head bolts and head gaskets along with them. I would also recommend a pushrod length checker. That way you can measure the length you need and get it right the first time. The LS7 lifters to setup a bit taller so you will more than likely need a .050" shorter pushrod.

How many miles are on the car? Is there an issue with them now? I would say 90% of the guys doing cam swaps don't change lifters. As long as you don't have an issue with them now, I wouldn't expect there to be one after. Either way, you will be fine. Just make sure your shop isn't just trying to get more labor out of you...

Jon
Old 10-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

doing the same set up. i have most of the parts trying to decide on lifter and tuner in nj or near.

Quick Reply: TSP Magic Stick 4 cam questions?