Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Borla Stingers vs. B&B Bullets

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Borla Stingers vs. B&B Bullets

I have a '99 Coupe with TSP LT's, TSP off-road X-pipe, no cats, and currently a Ti exahust... also, car has a 228 cam, 3.73 rear gears and a 3600 stall converter....

I wanted to do the Ti bypass mod, but can't find anyone in my area to weld Titanium.... so.... i have several pending trade offers, and would like some opinions...

I want the car to be louder at idle and normal driving.... i tried the custom straight pipe route, but i just couldn't take it... the drone was awful and the noise was ghastly..... I'm assuming that both of these exhausts will do the trick, but i wanted to see if one was drastically louder than the other, and how they would compare to my Ti and straight-pipe exhausts....

I know that i'm going to have to deal with some drone with both of these, and i don't know anyone in my area that has either exhaust... nonetheless, i'm sure i'll be very happy with either exhaust's sound, but i would like a good comparison of them versus teh exhausts i currently have... the Ti is bada$$ at WOT! but i don't want to get rediucously loud like the straight-pipes - i felt afraid to touch teh throttle in town for fear of waking the dead - but would defintely like something that makes a little more noise at idle and normal driving than the Ti...
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

also, are either of them 3" exhausts, or are they still only 2.5" ones?

One last thing - please note whether or not you have an auto, stalled auto, or a manual... i feel this will make a huge difference in how the exhaust drone affects each individual car

Last edited by SonofaBish; 09-20-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Launching!

They are both 2.5" systems. LG is the only company that has a 3" catback. The B&B's are a little louder/deeper than the borlas, but they also drone a lot worse. Hope this helps. And yes, it will sound 1,000X better than the TI's.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:49 PM
c6r
On The Tree

I have bullets/ no cats and they are loud as helll...you have been warned, race car sound bad ***!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Launching!

I have the bullets on my 03 Z06, and love the sound, but be warned they are loud. I have read some forum posts that say the auto cars will have more drone than the manual cars, and with LT's, no cats and the bullets, it will be more like the straight pipes sound.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 AM
master of the "jack"stand

I have Kooks 1 7/8, offroad X, B&B Bullets. I get compliments all the time, but it is LOUD.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

on my 01 coupe a4 I had TSP Lts with b&b bullets and it sounded awesome great at idle and take off the only thing I didnt care for was the drone inside at highway speeds but you have to pay some price running an exhaust like that.. another route which Im most likely going to do this time is b&b fusion you have the sounds of bullets when you want or a muffler for the other times
Old 10-18-2010, 03:57 PM

Well Ive got LT's, No cats with the B&B quads on my vert. It sounds really good. I get props all the time for the sound. I enjoy the sound mainly cause I dont drive her much except on weekend.

I will warn you be ready to hear the drone unless you like cruisin 75 in 4th....

l8r,

Shane
Old 10-18-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by c6r
I have bullets/ no cats and they are loud as helll...you have been warned, race car sound bad ***!!!
Bullets are the ****.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Launching!

are they the same as slp loud mouth? i was thinking about getting them
Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

B&B PRT's an option? How about GHL? They are a cheaper set but they don't drone and sound great WOT. I have a 228R cam, LT's and O/R X-pipe, and with the B&B PRT's it's loud and drones at highway speeds. I'm running an M6 not a A4 though.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my Bullets on my C5Z.427
Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

I actually went a different direction altogether...

I took a chance and bought the OBX catback... its designed after teh Borla, and honestly, after hearing borla recently, its better sounding... its deeper sounding and similar in loudness, but i can't commetn on teh drone... borla was on a manual, and my car is an auto.... Eitehr way, i LOVE the sound of teh OBX... its got a loud idle ..... perfect cruise, as you can hear it but it doesn't drone at all.... and its pissed-off loud at WOT....

However, it doesnt' come without issues... i got it because the fitment issues were rumored to have been fixed.... well, that's certianly not the case... The fitment is garbage and the tips aren't what they advertise... however, with a little bit of adjustment, the exhaust is awesome... so even after paying for adjustments, its still far cheaper than any other exhaust on the market, and honestly the best sounding one i've ever heard!! If it werent' for teh fitment issues and the pathetic excuse for customer service, i'd be superbly happy!

so, to sum it up.. i love the sound of my exhaust... but DO NOT BUY OBX!!!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Teching In

B&B Bullets = In Your Face Loud/I want To Race
Borla Stingers = DRONE DRONE DRONE

If you want something toned down but still louder then stock go with B&B Route 66. B&B also has the Fusion Exhaust for the C5 Corvette for a Dr. Jeckyl & Mr Hyde setup.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Love my BB Bullets on my 98. Loud yes, Cool yes!
Old 11-21-2010, 01:46 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
I have Kooks 1 7/8, offroad X, B&B Bullets. I get compliments all the time, but it is LOUD.
I had the same thing on both of my sleds and it is loud but I dont think it was intolerable.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:10 AM
On The Tree

Its too bad you can't find a welder in your area. I personally think you should hold out with the Ti Exhaust until you can find a good welder. No cats and any aftermarket exhaust is gonna be annoying after a while. I'm staying with my stock Ti until I get my shop to do cutouts.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BT03mach-1
are they the same as slp loud mouth? i was thinking about getting them
No there a bit different. The B & B uses resonators instead of mufflers. The SLP Loud Mouth is just straight pipes.

I am running this set up. 1 7/8 LT American Racing Headers, with off-road X Pipe (no cats) and SLP Loudmouth. I love this set up, yes there is drone but it dose not bother me but at 3k it sounds like a straight Formula 1 car. Every time no joke I go out someone comes up to me and tell me how bad *** my car sounds. I have 2 other buddys both have C5 Z06's and one has B & B and the other Borla Stingers and both have the same LTH's and catless X pipe and they both tell me they wish they would have went with the SLP Loudmouth.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Joe Boost
B&B Bullets = In Your Face Loud/I want To Race
Borla Stingers = DRONE DRONE DRONE

If you want something toned down but still louder then stock go with B&B Route 66. B&B also has the Fusion Exhaust for the C5 Corvette for a Dr. Jeckyl & Mr Hyde setup.

Quick Reply: Borla Stingers vs. B&B Bullets