LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Basic Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Tune question

I pretty much need someone to explain to me how our cars are tuned. in dummy form. I had the pcm on my last car (bonneville ssei) upgraded but from readin other post, I get the idea these are different. I have only had the gxp for a month so I am still kinda new.
for straters, where would I get the best tune, do I need to order something or send something in?? what is really achieved after a tune? with my moderate mods could I even do a tune?
I see a lot of people on here sayin good things about them so I am just tryin to educate myself.
Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

A tune will benefit even stock cars. Basically you have 3 routes that you can take: 1)A boxed tune like a handheld programmer 2) A mail order tune that works with a handheld like diablosport and 3) a custom road or dyno tune. Generally they're recommended 3, 2, 1 in order of decreasing effectiveness. However, Diablew has had VERY good results and service with his mail order tunes and from the outside looking in appears to be just as thorough as a lot of the in person road tuners out there.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Is it complicated to do yourself? and Im sorry for being stupid but what exactly do u mean by mail order? I have seen the handheld ones that worked on my old 3800 like hp tuners etc. I just wasnt sure if this was the same approach.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Tuning is extremely complicated and has a big learning curve. You'd be much happier and probably come out cheaper finding a good tuner to do it for you.

Hand helds are like superchips, etc that come with pre-made or "boxed" tunes. Some handhelds like the diablosport allow for custom tunes to be made and downloaded.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks 'BamaGuy!!

Uptown - by "mail order", he means getting a custom tune file created for your vehicle, via email...

in the case of the diablosport predator and trinity, you would install one of the preset tunes to your car so that the tool saves a backup copy of your original stock tune file...

you then use a diablo app to export that tune file from the tool to your PC...

then you would email it to a diablosport CMR custom tuner, such as myself...

the tune file is opened up in the tuning software, several tweaks/adjustments are made to the file, and then it's saved out as a new custom tune file...

that custom tune file gets emailed back to you... you import it into the diablo tool... then you hook up the tool to your car and install the custom tune...

and VOILA!!

of course, there are a few more steps in between there, like recording data logs that would be needed, etc etc.. .but that's the basic rundown...

HOWEVER... you have a 2008 GXP, and the 2008's are not supported by diablo products at this time... they use a different ecm in the 08's than they did for the 06's.... so, a diablo product is not available for your 2008 vehicle...

SCT does not offer one for your vehicle either... SuperChips makes one for your 08 car, but you can not get custom tuning done with their programmers - you are stuck with whatever preset tune they have in the programmer... and hypertech, well I wouldn't even waste your money on one, even if they do have one... and there's no custom tuning for those either...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 09-22-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

i made 45whp witth a custom tune.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
thanks 'BamaGuy!!

Uptown - by "mail order", he means getting a custom tune file created for your vehicle, via email...

in the case of the diablosport predator and trinity, you would install one of the preset tunes to your car so that the tool saves a backup copy of your original stock tune file...

you then use a diablo app to export that tune file from the tool to your PC...

then you would email it to a diablosport CMR custom tuner, such as myself...

the tune file is opened up in the tuning software, several tweaks/adjustments are made to the file, and then it's saved out as a new custom tune file...

that custom tune file gets emailed back to you... you import it into the diablo tool... then you hook up the tool to your car and install the custom tune...

and VOILA!!

of course, there are a few more steps in between there, like recording data logs that would be needed, etc etc.. .but that's the basic rundown...

HOWEVER... you have a 2008 GXP, and the 2008's are not supported by diablo products at this time... they use a different ecm in the 08's than they did for the 06's.... so, a diablo product is not available for your 2008 vehicle...

SCT does not offer one for your vehicle either... SuperChips makes one for your 08 car, but you can not get custom tuning done with their programmers - you are stuck with whatever preset tune they have in the programmer... and hypertech, well I wouldn't even waste your money on one, even if they do have one... and there's no custom tuning for those either...
Thanks, that really explained it well, although u have given me some bad news. Since I cant do a custom tune, does than mean I wont be able to achieve my cars highest potential. I still want to do a tune, maybe I will wait and see if a custom tune becomes available!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Uptown_GXP
Thanks, that really explained it well, although u have given me some bad news. Since I cant do a custom tune, does than mean I wont be able to achieve my cars highest potential. I still want to do a tune, maybe I will wait and see if a custom tune becomes available!
you would need to get a dyno tune done by a shop that uses HP Tuners... they can custom tune your car with that...

but, you can not just go back to stock whenever you want, like you can with a handheld programmer... you would have to work that out with the shop that does your tuning... if they charge ya for that, if they charge ya for tune updates if you need/want something changed, etc etc.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 09-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Teching In

ok, I actually kno of a place about an hour from here that uses HP. Thanks, my last concern is the the different options that come along with a custok tune. Im guessing shift points, idle, etc. How do know exactly what to ask for or will the guys at the shop be able to guide me. we all gotta start somewhere. I figured it depends on what I want to accomplish??
Old 09-23-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Make sure they do a road tune as well as a dyno tune. A quality tuner will spend time with drivablility as well at WOT tuning.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you go for a mail order route, Vector is something to look into.

They sell a cable so you can email logs like Lew does, and with it you can save your s tock tune and go back to it when you need to (warranty).

They also offer free retunes and such (when I was looking into it), I was looking into a tune from them since I don't really trust any local tuner - and it was cheaper than buying HPtuners and then going to a tuner out of town.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Teching In

I have an 07 gxp. Are 2007 models supported by diablo products. I am too interested!
Old 10-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stlracing289
I have an 07 gxp. Are 2007 models supported by diablo products. I am too interested!
No, 2007 GXP's are not supported by Diablo.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

correct... ^ ^ ^ ^

only 2006's are supported...

Old 10-15-2010, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

I am guessing it the same for 07 MC SS too.