Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just finished build now car is smoking pretty good

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just finished build now car is smoking pretty good

i have just recently added heads intake throttle body push rods and injectors to my car now the car seems to be smoking upon start up and reving and smells of gas really bad could it be just because its not tuned for the enjectors yet or do i have another isue
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't run the car anymore until you get it tuned for the injectors.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you should never have put injectors on and started the car if it wasn't tuned for them
Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

could i have messed something up by just starting the car a few times
Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

well the danger is that the extra volume of fuel can wash the oil from the cylinder walls and cause ring and cylinder wall damage. I would say you are just fine as long as it didnt run for an extended period or get driven that way. But get a tune before you start it again.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Banned

I have just recently added heads intake throttle body push rods and injectors to my car now the car seems to be smoking upon start up and reving and smells of gas really bad could it be just because its not tuned for the enjectors yet or do i have another isue

↑↑↑↑↑ When I first put mine back together and started it up without a tune mine did not smoke nor did my exhaust smell like raw fuel actaully there was no fuel smell to my exhaust. The engine would only stay running at 1500-2000 rpm though.
I ran the engine until it got up to temp to make sure that the engine was not leaking any oil or coolant.Also to make sure there was no knocking and to make sure the oil pressure was holding like it is suppose to.I did not have any side effects from this.

So to the OP I would say your having some kind of engine issue if it is smoking.

Last edited by incbed; 09-22-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by incbed
Also according to (HPTuners) when you go from say a factory tune with 28lb injectors to a say 36lb injectors without a retune the engine will run lean,,,if it were the other way around say the computer is tuned for 36lb injectors and you put in 28lb injectors then the engine would be running rich.
You are backwards on that. If you are on the stock tune for 28lb injectors and run larger ones you will be rich. the ecu has no idea that you have larger injectors and will continue to to use the same injector pulse length as it did with the smaller injectors. then once the O2 sensors read a rich condition, it will shorten the pulse length, but there is only a certain amount of adjustment the ecu can make without being told that it is using bigger injectors.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

CRAZZ28,,,your right ,,I went back and looked and it's like how I said if the wrong injector data is entered into the computer,,,I will delete that info.

But I still think the OP is having some kind of engine issue if it is smoking and the smoke doesn't go away even on the factory tune.

Last edited by incbed; 09-22-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by incbed
CRAZZ28,,,your right ,,I went back and looked and it's like how I said if the wrong injector data is entered into the computer,,,I will delete that info.

But I still think the OP is having some kind of engine issue if it is smoking and the smoke doesn't go away even on the factory tune.
engines blow black smoke when they are rich, if he's in cold start enrichment, its even worse, I beleve this is a cut and dry over-fueling issue... to the OP..get it tuned, and you will hurt the engine if you keep running it
Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

car also sounds of sewing machine ive read this is normal is there any fixes for it
Old 09-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned

rob00ss,,,With a completely untouched factory tune with factory 26lb injectors,LS1 intake,I even had factory exhaust manifolds ,cats,,and emissions.
I did what is in my signature bellow including no longer having any emissions stuff when I started the car up on the factory tune it did not smoke nor did my exhaust smell like gas,,,,,Maybe my computer responded well to all the changes better than most peoples ,,,but I would think if your computer is dumping so much fuel into your engine to make it smoke then your spark plugs would have been screwed from the start. If it is getting so much fuel to the engine to smoke then the engine should be sputtering and skipping like crazy.

↑↑↑↑↑ the above is based off my personal experince from doing a H/C/I/I swap just a couple months ago and starting the engine on a bone stock factory tune.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

anyone have anyideas on what would casue the smoke if its not the tune the bottom end had new rod bearings and rings put in it 5000 miles ago and everything else is new as stated
Old 09-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Banned

could be a broken valve seal or one of the pistons could have the ring gaps inline with each other.Or a piston ring installed upside down,,there's alot of stuff that can make an engine smoke..

What color is the smoke???
Old 09-22-2010, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

looks to be white smoke but reved up alittle and it was more a dark gray blackish puff
Old 09-23-2010, 07:42 AM
Banned

Do you know if the cylinders were honed when the rings were replaced???

Also you stated it has 5,000 miles was those miles put on the engine after the H/C/I swap.

Does the engine run on it's on?,,or do you have to keep giving it gas to keep it running???

Have you looked at the spark plugs to see what they look like.

Lastly normally if and engine is getting to much fuel to smoke then the engine oil will smell like fuel. Does your oil smell like gas???
Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

White smoke is usually coolant isn't it? He did replace the heads, could be a gasket. But I would get it tuned first or just swap the stock injectors back in and see if it still smokes. Good luck
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Banned

wytry,,I was thinking that to ,but he just did the H/C/I swap so he should have new head gaskets and they narmally want start leaking until atleast a hundred miles even if the heads are warped or not torqued properly.Unless the heads are warped big time.

But anything is possible
Old 09-23-2010, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Do you know if the cylinders were honed when the rings were replaced???

Also you stated it has 5,000 miles was those miles put on the engine after the H/C/I swap.

Does the engine run on it's on?,,or do you have to keep giving it gas to keep it running???

Have you looked at the spark plugs to see what they look like.

Lastly normally if and engine is getting to much fuel to smoke then the engine oil will smell like fuel. Does your oil smell like gas???

im not sure if the cylinders were honed previous owner put the rings and bearing in
the 5000 miles were put on before the H/C/I and the cylinder walls had no scratches on them when i did the install
i do not have to give it gas to keep it running it will idol on its own
have not pulled the spark plugs put new ones in with instal havent drove car since
and yes the engine oil does have a slight smell of fuel
Old 09-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

HMMM the cylinder walls should still be showing signs of being honed with only 5,000 miles on it,,for instance my engine had 114,xxx miles on it when I took the heads off and the factory cross hatching was still visible. I have personally never seen a LS1 the didn't still have the cross hatch showing.

Someone not to long ago had a thread on a engine that was sold to him that was suppose to have been rebuilt,,but the engine wasn't running right after he installed it. So when he pulled the engine out and took one of the heads off the builder did not Hone the cylinders before putting the new pistons and rings in. Also because of this and probly a dirty work area during the rebuild some of the cylinder walls were all scratched up.

Did you physically get to ride in the vehical this engine came out of before you did the H/C/I swap??

Just go ahead and get your self a flash tune ,,hopefully that will be the answer ,but i'm still skeptical.

Last edited by incbed; 09-23-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

the motor was already in the car when i bought it. the previous owner had installed the new rings and bearings put a cam in the car and new valve springs. and the would smoke at random times beforre i did the H/C/I on the car but we all figured it was prolly a valve seal or rings but when we tore the car down all of the cylinder walls looked good with no scratches so my mechanic said that the rings should be fine