LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 Z28 Starts but wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 95 Z28 Starts but wont stay running

Didn't get a lot from searching which kinda surprised me.

So im working on my friends z28 in attempt to get it to run. He is in the marines and away from the car and im his only source to get it running.

Late last year he replaced plug/wires, and the fuel filter.

He came back and was gonna take the car back with him but wound up stuck at a gas station his first day back with a car that wont start. No biggie we replaced the starter and walaa. Then we did some little maintenance stuff like change the oil, coolant, etc.

We go to leave and the car won't stay running. He drove the car literally 15 minutes before it stopped running. Start but no run.
I noticed the fuel pump was barely working so we went and got that and it helped enough that you can keep it running if you peddle it, but still wont stay running on its own. Kinda backfired a little too.

So then I changed the MAF. It was able to stay running by itself but at ~500 RPM's which is way low. It only did this once. I gave it a little gas to see if it would rev up and idle at the correct speed. Nope died. Backfiring pretty much stopped unless you revved it to like 3 or 4 grand.

I'm gonna clean the TPS tomorrow and see if it helps any.

Any other thoughts of what it could be? Please don't tell me opti!
EDIT: Car is an Auto that's bone stock and there's no check engine light on.

Last edited by 4THGENCAMAROFAN; 09-22-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check 1.fuel pressure,2.plug wire placement, 3.have local auto part house test ICM..for starters.....
Old 09-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Already tested pressure previously. Has 40 psi after priming and then drops to 35 and maintains that. Is that normal.

ICM tested good.

Plug placement should be fine because it was running just fine about 15 minutes before.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4THGENCAMAROFAN
Already tested pressure previously. Has 40 psi after priming and then drops to 35 and maintains that. Is that normal.

ICM tested good.

Plug placement should be fine because it was running just fine about 15 minutes before.
That fuel pressure is about right, maybe a few PSI low but I dont think it would run that bad. hate to say it but since you replaced everything else, I think you're lookin at a new opti!

Maybe post a video if possible of how it acts and we can determine it a little easier. Good Luck!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

check stored codes
Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
check stored codes
Don't have a scanner for OBDI
Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ

Sounds like a symptom of plugged exhaust, could be something else easily though.

Fuel pressure spec from haynes manual:
key on, engine off - 43-47psi
key on, engine running - should drop 3-10psi

If you think it's ignition then all that's left beside the opti is ohm'ing the ignition coil, and going through the ignition coil wiring and opti wiring. Procedures for that are on Shbox's website or in a Haynes manual.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by S2K
Sounds like a symptom of plugged exhaust, could be something else easily though.

Fuel pressure spec from haynes manual:
key on, engine off - 43-47psi
key on, engine running - should drop 3-10psi

If you think it's ignition then all that's left beside the opti is ohm'ing the ignition coil, and going through the ignition coil wiring and opti wiring. Procedures for that are on Shbox's website or in a Haynes manual.
Alright i'll give that a try.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Launching!

UPDATE:
Ok just out of curiousity I went out to the car and tried starting it with the MAF disconnected..it ran FINE....absolutely perfect!!

So I reconnected the MAF...died
Disconnected the MAF again...ran FINE again!!

What does this mean? Bad MAF? I just put a new one in but I guess it's possible.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Bump I have a chance to buy this car now so i'd really like to get it running right.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Ok I decided not to get it since i'd rather have a 6 speed. So i'll probally just do an LS1 or LT1 swap into my RS.

However, he will be back in EARLY November and I would like to get it running by then that way where not trying to figure out whats wrong with it at the last minute so he can drive it back.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Don't have a scanner for OBDI
you can buy an adapter for an obdII scanner to plug into an obdI port and it works just fine. I used one on my 94 which is obdI...
Old 10-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RogueLT1
you can buy an adapter for an obdII scanner to plug into an obdI port and it works just fine. I used one on my 94 which is obdI...
It's obd1.5, meaning it has the obdI software but obd II connections. I beleive this is how it is from the seaching and reading ive done throught a couple of forums and what not.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Launching!

It's obd1.5, meaning it has the obdI software but obd II connections. I beleive this is how it is from the seaching and reading ive done throught a couple of forums and what not.
well, i could be wrong, and I'm not saying I'm not. But, I was at the shop I used to work in and they had an obdII scanner, and I had to use an adapter to plug into my car. I was told it was because it was an OBDI port on my car. As stated in other posts, I'm fairly new to this stuff, so i could be completely wrong.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Ok so we took the car for a drive(he came back early) and under 2000 rpms it would run fine with the maf disconnected, but if you tried to get on it it would just sputter and slowly accelerate. With it in park and not under load it revved up to 4000rpms just fine.

We also changed the MAF again to see if it would help but the same symptoms are present.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RogueLT1
well, i could be wrong, and I'm not saying I'm not. But, I was at the shop I used to work in and they had an obdII scanner, and I had to use an adapter to plug into my car. I was told it was because it was an OBDI port on my car. As stated in other posts, I'm fairly new to this stuff, so i could be completely wrong.
I could be wrong as well, i'm fairly new to this stuff too. The check engine light did shut off though after putting the new maf in and letting it run for a while with it connected.

Quick Reply: 95 Z28 Starts but wont stay running