Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished up my cam install!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished up my cam install!

Man, 4 nights in a row up ‘til 3AM (my pre-determined cut-off time) & to work at 8AM. My total was right around 24 hours, taking my time with plenty of “frustration” beer breaks.

So, I got to the point of turning over the engine with the coil packs unplugged last night & left it at that. It was too late & I was too tired to fire it off. Figured I needed a fresh mind to make sure I didn’t forget something important.

So, any advice before I fire her off today? After re-reading the entire LS1howto tutorial this morning, I’m pretty confident I’m ready. I’m planning on firing it up at lunch, so wish me luck.

Last edited by osuhog; 09-29-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have an extra set of hands in the engine bay watching and waiting for anything out of the ordinary, and keep an eye on ur oil pressure!!! Like a hawk!! Like a hawkkk
Old 09-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also double check all the wiring that is around any exhaust parts to make sure none of them get melted. Especiall the starter,oil level,and crank sensor wiring that runs down between the headers and passenger side frame. Also the o2 wires.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck! You will be all sorts of giddy listening to that baby idle for the first time.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Well, just got back from lunch & I have good news & bad news...

Good news is, I found that pesky oil leak that’s been driving me CRAZY since the day I bought the car. It leaves spots in my garage & a mess on the undercarriage of my car & I have spent hours trying to track it down. Even had the rear main seal replaced when I had the stall converter installed.

Bad news is, when I torqued down the pan last night, my problem went from a small leak to an all out geyser.

Apparently there has been a hairline crack right behind the oil filter for who knows how long. As you can see, I reached up where the crack was & pulled a chunk right out of it.

Any suggestion now? I’m guessing replacing the oil pan is in my near future.

Also, I only had 20 psi of oil pressure at idle & I was expecting much more with this ported LS6 oil pump. Would the flow of oil coming out have affected this? Again, it was literally a flow, & it was right by the oil filter. Dumped out a couple of quarts in the matter of 60 seconds.

PS The car sounded BAD *** for the minute that it ran.

Last edited by osuhog; 09-29-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Tough break on the oil pan. They seem to go for 200 used and 225 new. I bought a new one
Old 09-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow i'm sorry to hear that

Because of the oil pressure you had I would put a new oring in the oil pump wile you have the pan off,,just incase you did pinch the one that is in it now.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

a small hair line crack will absolutely eat up oil pressure.. at idle your oil pressure should be anywhere between 45-55 I'd say on a COLD start.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm hoping when I get this fixed my oil pressure will be fine. If what you say is correct, it's probably pretty amazing I even had 20 psi.

Thanks again, I will keep everyone updated.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to pull the pan you might want to consider a rod bolt upgrade.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

You know, I thought about that, but I keep reading about special install procedures & people having more issues after installing them, etc. I'm a little afraid to change them out. Just planning on having my tuner set my shift points low enough not to worry too much about it. I'm sure I'll be leaving some power on the table, but I really want the dependability as much as possible.

Also, are there any good tutorials online for removing the oil pan? I haven't really found anything too good yet. I'm hoping not to have to completely remove the kmember, but we'll see.

Anyone?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by osuhog
You know, I thought about that, but I keep reading about special install procedures & people having more issues after installing them, etc. I'm a little afraid to change them out. Just planning on having my tuner set my shift points low enough not to worry too much about it. I'm sure I'll be leaving some power on the table, but I really want the dependability as much as possible.

Also, are there any good tutorials online for removing the oil pan? I haven't really found anything too good yet. I'm hoping not to have to completely remove the kmember, but we'll see.

Anyone?
entire k-member has to come off.. sorry to burst ur bubble lol