Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AC Delco update and more

============
AC Delco Update\ Optispark Updates
============
After prolonged discussions with Factory Motor Parts (the Master Warehouse Distributor) for AC Delco, the best price they would muster was $320+ on 1104032 (they were also including core charges in that price, but on a new unit?). Long story short, we will not be able to sell AC Delco. AC Delco wants you buying them from your dealer for $450... period.
I am not going to stay seated with this though. My next plan of attack is to work on Mitsubishi for the next month and try to get these sensors. I don't have high hope, as Mitsubishi as a company is ENORMOUS. But if I can get these sensors its game over. The aftermarket wins the battle!
Also I've been working with Gordon Killebrew http://www.gordonkillebrew.com/ who is a retired GM dealer support tech that did phone support at the Corvette plant for dealers. He is a MASTER of these items and understands them inside and out. We are waiting on his recommendation for a V2 unit we will be selling in the near future. Probably about 4-5 months out. So far here are the intended changes.
  • Better materials on the sealing gasket. He has noted that the GM unit as well as all aftermarket units are susceptible to intrusion into the unit when this wears away.
  • Possible vented conversion integrated into the 10457702s, still up in the air.
  • At the very least, resourcing the sensor to T1 OEM provider for say Honda or Toyota. Best case scenario breaking Mistubishi's wall down and getting the OEM sensor.
  • Better screws, possible loctite from the factory.

Items we are confident in that do not need ANY revision.
  • Cap & Rotor - Solid pieces, brass terminals
  • Distributor housing\Various hardware and housing related items
  • Connector\Cover piece.

Still waiting on Gordon. He's coming up with a complete list of changes as well as creating a diagnostic flowchart for us that we'll include with our optisparks and post online for free to eliminate the optispark being the scapegoat of all problems. We understand this means we sell less, but again, honesty is the approach I care about.

As others have noted we do recommend maintaining the units with cap and rotor replacements, have recommendations for preservation and also have told people who have wet their units to let it dry out. We don't put a dollar in front of service. That's how we've stayed in this game and grown so quickly.

But that's were things are on the Delco deal and progress on where we're taking our units. We're out of stock on 1104032 for about another week or so, so keep that in mind if you're in a hurry with your order.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a real shocker to be honest. Ever since GM was bailed out they have been going through and removing parts that don't move much volume anymore. Even though the laws say they have to support it for 10years GM and Mopar used to carry parts for much longer than that. Now they are running on empty all the time as far as parts in stock and alot of stuff that used to be sold retail from summit and other 3rd parties are being moved back to dealer only parts or removed from thier parts invintory all together. What ever, I guess they have to pay the tab back some how.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All good info, thanks for the update!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for the work Nick. And I don't even own an LT1
Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Good work man. Can't wait to receive the opti I ordered from you guys to throw it in the other LT1 I acquired.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Good to see someone working on the problems! I'll keep you guys in mind when mine dies!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Man this is awesome! I'll go with you guys when I'm in need
Old 10-14-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is really positive to see a vendor putting this kind of work into such a niche item, but the fact that it's the opti is even better! Very nice job CM.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

How about riveting the metal contact to the rotor instead of just leaving the crappy company glue.

Quick Reply: AC Delco update and more