Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Any decent spray paints out there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any decent spray paints out there?

By spray paint I mean like in an aerosol can (12 oz) or w/e they are. I called a guy at car paint online and he wants 21.99/can for this stuff...

http://www.carpaintonline.com/produc...=4184&SPCId=79

I know to stay away from duplicolor but I figure if I'm paying that much then this stuff must be good.

I painting the passenger side rear fender area where it meets the door if that makes any difference. And my car is bright red factory original color code 81/WA8774.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
By spray paint I mean like in an aerosol can (12 oz) or w/e they are. I called a guy at car paint online and he wants 21.99/can for this stuff...

http://www.carpaintonline.com/produc...=4184&SPCId=79

I know to stay away from duplicolor but I figure if I'm paying that much then this stuff must be good.

I painting the passenger side rear fender area where it meets the door if that makes any difference. And my car is bright red factory original color code 81/WA8774.
The only thing I would caution you is that any aftermarket spray is not going to match exactly. You may want to go to you local paint supplier and see what they can do. I know my supplier here does an awesome job of mixing up my touch ups for my customers.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I gave him the VIN of my car and the color code from the inside of the door panel and he brought up the paint by that to see if they could make it. He told me to use white primer to make it really look good and he also recommended a clear coat for me.

I'm not sure I have any local paint places that will put it in a spray can? Any big (Advance, Sherwin Williams) companies mix auto paint for a specific vehicle?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have used paint from http://www.expresspaint.com/ match was dead on but they run about $24 a can for aerosol
Old 10-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know how the colors will match from a mail order site, but I know if you to into the auto body/paint store here they'll mix you a can of aerosol basecoat based on your vin. An auto-refinish store would be your best bet. Napa does paints, but I wouldn't use them. I don't know if any other big "box stores" will be able to mix it.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I actually used duplicolor from O'reileys. i dont remember the exact name but they had it in there smaller cans that was supposed to match the factory paint. I did all the body work to the quarter panels and planned on painting it later on (which i did) so i just spray painted it for the time being.

in this picture the quarter panel from right above the wheel all the way back to the tail light is spray paint. literally half the panel is(you can slightly see the difference.)

In this pic the lower part in front of the wheel beside the door is all spray paint, including the gas door and just left of the gas door. (can also slightly see the clor difference)
Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Teching In

I have gotten paint from www.TouchUpPaintOnline.com twice, once to fixed a side mirror that was ripped off by a bunch of kids, but once to paint a spoiler for my gf's car. I think it was $20 shipped and the match was dead on as well.

At first, I was looking for a temporary fix on the mirror, but it turned out to look like factory paint. Very happy with it.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I called a local paint company here and they recommended a sprayer called Preval. Its an aerosol propellant can attached to a bottle that you can get your own quart of paint mixed, add thinner, attach it to the propellant and spray away. He said a lot of mobile touch up paint guys use them and it worked great. I wish I could get some pictures but i don't have a camera with me right now.

I wouldnt recommend painting the whole car because paint does get everywhere and your finger would probably hurt but the spot I did was only 2x2. I used 3 coats of paint and two coats of clear. now all I have to do is polish and it should look good as new
Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by boylondon
I have gotten paint from www.TouchUpPaintOnline.com twice, once to fixed a side mirror that was ripped off by a bunch of kids, but once to paint a spoiler for my gf's car. I think it was $20 shipped and the match was dead on as well.

At first, I was looking for a temporary fix on the mirror, but it turned out to look like factory paint. Very happy with it.
Just ordered from them - 81 red, lets hope it looks good!

(Back from the dead!)

Quick Reply: Any decent spray paints out there?