Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker bolt stripped, what to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rocker bolt stripped, what to do

Well, I was putting my rockers on earlier, and I got to the intake valve on the #2 cyl, and I couldn't get it torqued to 22ft-lb. It goes to 20 and starts to loosen up again, so I know probably the bottom threads are stripped. I looked down it with a flashlight and can't see any stripped threads though, so I loctite it and torqued it to 20ft-lb. Will it be an issue? I feel like it will be fine, should I try to run it or just bite the bullet and tap the hole for a bigger bolt? It seems like the bolt is chamfered on the bottom so I don't know what bolt I could possibly use.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to take a rocker bolt in to a parts store and buy a Helicoil kit for that size bolt (it will come in handy for other uses on the LS engine series). Then, all you will do is drill the stud hole bigger, tap the new hole, insert the helicoil according to instructions and you'll be back in business. It will be a good learning experience and it's the proper way to repair this issue.

Steve
Old 10-22-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
You need to take a rocker bolt in to a parts store and buy a Helicoil kit for that size bolt (it will come in handy for other uses on the LS engine series). Then, all you will do is drill the stud hole bigger, tap the new hole, insert the helicoil according to instructions and you'll be back in business. It will be a good learning experience and it's the proper way to repair this issue.

Steve
I use helicoils all the time, for some reason I didn't even think of this. I use them at work but they are all standard sized.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tell the wife you need new heads because yours broke, and if you don't get new ones, it could ruin the whole engine, and you don't want to take any chances. That's what I'd do anyway
Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim_PA
Tell the wife you need new heads because yours broke, and if you don't get new ones, it could ruin the whole engine, and you don't want to take any chances. That's what I'd do anyway
They are new heads, which is part of why I'm pretty mad about it. I've already found 2 stripped bolt holes, the second one on the same head was the rear coolant crossover. I broke the bolt off in that one already. Still trying to decide what to do with it.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

use a small hammer and punch to try to back the broken bolt out. usually if it will move a little you can spin them out by hand. did you buy these heads used?
Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a tool & die maker and you never want to hammer on a bolt to try to remove it. Most of the time the threads in the hole get chewed up, specially since the heads are aluminum. The best way to remove a broken bolt is to drill a small hole in the middle of the bolt and use a screw extractor to back it out.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The coolant plug bolt is far too small to do any of those to. I just capped the back holes and used an LS6 crossover I had for that. For the one with the broken bolt I just tapped the coolant hole and put a bolt in it with some thread sealer. I'm trying to avoid taking the heads off and ruining the gasket already.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Were you following GM's rocker installation procedure or LS1howto. That will let you know how it got stripped. Per the service manual, fix it with a helicoil.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I followed GM's procedure. #1 TDC on compression stroke for the first ones then 360* for the second set. The one that stripped had a closed valve too, I think the threads were just weak. I went and got a helicoil set last night and fixed it, started right up so far no problems.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Im running with a helicoiled rocker right now from the PO's stupidity

Quick Reply: Rocker bolt stripped, what to do