Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N/A Cam, Streetable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow N/A Cam, Streetable?

I have been looking into what to get for a street setup for my 01 formula m6. Since the car is a stick I'm not sure how much that will effect streetability or not but it's worth pointing out I guess.

My goals for the car:
-400whp or as much as I can get out of it.
-Still fun to drive on the street.
-11.XX on streets or drag radials. (No slicks).

Current Mods:
-4.10 Gears.
-Catback exhaust, ls6 intake, ram air lid, basic bolt ons but no headers yet.

I'd basically like to stay N/A if possible because I really like the raw powerband you get with N/A setups.

My "best guess" as to what might suit my goals:
-Torquer v2 Cam.
-LS2 Heads.
-Long Tube Headers.

I guess I'm just looking for constructive criticism and thoughts about what is going to be streetable for an N/A cam. I'd like to meet my goals of course or better. If you have an suggestion please explain why you think that way and what ballpark figures im looking at for 1/4 or whp on a good day. Any suggestions from experience would be great. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could potentially see 400rwh with full bolt on's and a TV2 or 3 and a good tune. You def need LT's. The TV2 or 3 would both be good cam choices and work well on the street. You might want to consider a custom grind cam as well. If you did heads I would step it up to something other then the LS2...just my .2
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Teching In

I don't know a whole lot about cams and what would be streetable or not. How would I go about doing a custom grind? As in what aspects would I change in comparison to like the torquer v2, and why? Thanks!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeWX
I don't know a whole lot about cams and what would be streetable or not. How would I go about doing a custom grind? As in what aspects would I change in comparison to like the torquer v2, and why? Thanks!
camming your car isnt just about throwing a new cam in there and hitting the road, if you looking for 400 wheel cam only your going to need some internal motor supporting mods, and be ready for **** to break without notice. I DD my MS4 and its no big deal at all for me, have you ever ridden in a big cammed ls1? try and find someone in your area so you know what your getting into. Even see if theyll let you drive it for 10-15 minutes or so around town so you can see. Your going to need a different clutch more than likely also. this list just goes on and on it seems, but its WAY worth it in the end.

Look up PatG, hell spec you a custom cam no problem at all
Old 10-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
camming your car isnt just about throwing a new cam in there and hitting the road, if you looking for 400 wheel cam only your going to need some internal motor supporting mods, and be ready for **** to break without notice. I DD my MS4 and its no big deal at all for me, have you ever ridden in a big cammed ls1? try and find someone in your area so you know what your getting into. Even see if theyll let you drive it for 10-15 minutes or so around town so you can see. Your going to need a different clutch more than likely also. this list just goes on and on it seems, but its WAY worth it in the end.

Internal engine supporting mods? Like what? I thought these engines could handle a decent amount of power on the stock bottom end. What is the limit where you start seeing issues with internal parts failling like pistons and rods? I guess I was under the impression I could find a good street cam and swap heads + cam and be fine engine wise. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

contact Patrick-G for a custom cam,or look at a EPS cam.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 10-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS4Luck

Internal motor support mods such as.....? And if you take the nesessary precautions and cross your T's and dot your I's, then why would "****" be breaking? And what exactly is it that is breaking? Valve springs?? Let's hear some examples.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:53 AM
11 Second Club

well springs retainers pushrods, lifter depending on how old the motor is. I made the mistake of trying to spin a bunch of RPMs on a single row timing chain and had that snap on me on the freeway. what about an oil pump if your stocker is getting up there it not going to handle supplying a good amount of oil up top at 6500ish RPMs. replacing valve springs every 15K miles or so because of high ramp rates beating them senseless

like said, a lot can boil down to how many miles are on the stock parts, but a big cam is hard on parts and you need to do your research first or it can cost alot in the end.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

The OP never mentioned anything about running a BIG cam in his original post. So if he does the basics like, pushrods, LS2 chain, oil pump, and a good set of valvesprings, he shouldn't have any problems with the set up running poorly.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Heh, when you said internal engine mods I thought you were talking about pistons/rods/crank being forged or something and I was confused. I guess I always figured the basics like springs and chain and seals and stuff were a given. I'm not sure what oil pump is in my car, its an 01, but my oil pressure is always like 60+ and it gets to like 80 I think at WOT.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

I'm running a torquer v2 (232/234 .595/.598 112lsa) and driveability is NO issue. I don't daily drive the car, but could with no troubles. The car is tuned (but still needs some work) and on street tires (eagle f1's) I ran a 12.38@114 with a 1.99 60' and 38psi in the rear tires haha.
Stock gearing and all. (I do have 243 heads though :/) Haven't dyno'd the car, so I can't give you any numbers (SORRY!) but there is no doubt in my mind that it's sitting at 400rwhp or even a little more.