Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this cam toast?And what about my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is this cam toast?And what about my engine?

so i was in the middle of taking out my cam that came with the carto go smaller and noticed this on the cam and scared me..is it done not worth nothing but a paper weight? and what about my engine? thanks

cam is a LG G5x3 with 77k on the engine

Old 10-25-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO the marks on the lobes are not that bad Id say they could be polished as long as there not groves. As for the chip id say the cam is toast i don't know of anyway to fix that. Did the engine have valve float? Ive seen a few other threads where valve float caused the lifter the lift off the cam and then come back and smack the cam chipping it like yours.

Let me just say im not a expert though so if Im wrong about anything don't flame me.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

junk.....
Old 10-25-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

no grooves just looks like a big cam but yea the chip makes me think its toast also..the cam i can care less about..would have been great to make a couple dollars off of it but thats a dream now..im more worried about internal damage..im going to have to look into what valve floating is
Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 408Maro
no grooves just looks like a big cam but yea the chip makes me think its toast also..the cam i can care less about..would have been great to make a couple dollars off of it but thats a dream now..im more worried about internal damage..im going to have to look into what valve floating is
Its where you no longer have enough spring pressure to control the valve train at high rpms. How High do you rev the engine? What kind of springs do you have and how many miles?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm why does that happen though? its got prc springs and tsp rods everything on the valve train looked good and nothing loose
Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 408Maro
hmm why does that happen though? its got prc springs and tsp rods everything on the valve train looked good and nothing loose
Have you check your valve springs pressure? How many mile are on them? As they age they lose spring pressure Id start looking there as long as you haven't over reved the engine.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

from what i was told but this is what i was told..cam has 4k on it and same for the springs and everything..i can also confirm with who installed it to be sure..i havent over reved it but whos to say last owner hasnt
Old 10-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Teching In

I think with the bearing journals looking scored and the chunks of metal missing it looks like an extreme lack of lubrication. What kind of oil pressure you got?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i want to say it was at 40 idle 60 at higher rpms..going off what i think i remeber..havent drivin it in a month
Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by timowen1
I think with the bearing journals looking scored and the chunks of metal missing it looks like an extreme lack of lubrication. What kind of oil pressure you got?
40psi @ idle and 60psi @ wot is fine. Honestly I could be wrong but to me the missing chunk really looks like a lifter coming down and smacking the hardened cam lobe. With 4k miles on the springs they shouldn't be worn out though. Wait and get some more opinions im sure somebody will have some more ideas.

If the other owner over reved the enigine though it could have caused some valve float.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did it run fine before you pulled it out?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man i appreciate your help and input so far and hope to hear from more aswell asap... i also did pm the guy who did the install to see what he remembers and knows..just from your opinion is the lifters and whatnot ok just the cam thats toast? thanks again

and the car ran so so but hard to tell since it had true duals when i got it and changed it to a catback and has a SD tune that is for a diff part of the state..i did however remove the 02's and plug them for now and drove a lot better just needed a better tune
Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Up top please
Old 10-27-2010, 04:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by got milk??
did it run fine before you pulled it out?
Drove back over 2hrs back home after this tune with the NOS making 530rwhp and 600rwtq.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_oRL3G3bI

Rick never noticed any fuel leak when he had to jack the car up in the rear to put on the dyna pack, nor had any fuel evap leak codes when dyno'd it!

Rick pulled out the shradder valve in the fuel rail for the nitrous line!

Tino cut the DRL behind the Headlight switch so they wouldn't come on at nights!

Car ran good and hard!!!

As for the camshaft, tino would never put a cam like that in before install. Like you said and tino will also say it had great oil pressure at idle and wot. So for him to know that cam had a chip how the hell is he going to tell when there are no signs to lead him the cam was "chipped" and you have had the car for a few months now and now you are just reporting this. You had a race camaro that you sold to a kid in Los Banos, so who is to say you didn't run this one hard before you decided to do a cam swap!!!! You say you wish you didn't buy the ******* car, WTF!!!! After you got it you were selling the NEW Hoosier DR's, You were looking for someone to trade you the ZR1's, You were looking for a smaller cam ALL RIGHT AFTER YOU JUST BOUGHT THE CAR WITHIN WEEKS OF THE PURCHASE!!!! When you buy High performance there is always a risk. This car was built good, and tuned good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_oRL3G3bI
Old 10-27-2010, 05:14 AM
11 Second Club

And John its also a bullshit thread you put up on norcal-lsx about your "VENTING". I like how you said there was a FUEL LEAK, but could never find it, said the ring seal was good. and then just put it on the seal wasn't tight, LOL.

If you look on ls1tech you can see tino has nothing but 100% positive rating and has over 45 transactions made and all were good. You talk about shady, and you are the one going to wyotech and can't figure this **** out, COM'ON MAN!!!! You for real?????

I just hate when people make a "VENTING" thread but say oh its no biggie and not trying to bash the OP buttttttttt........and some lame *** story comes out. Sorry I was just "VENTING" LOL!!!

**** a guy from Missippippi bought tinos old trans am and they made the drive to cali and when took it back loved it and it also ran good just like it ran good when it left here.

Oh and that noise you hear in your clutch is that "CLUTCH CHATTER" that some HI-perf clutchs have. My vette had a stage 3 6-puc and had "Clutch Chatter" not all clutches are the same and all will act a little different. Just like rear diffs when you put in new gears and hope after the install you don't get the "rear diff howl"

and I still think its funny how after the hole thing tino drove over a hour easy to meet you the 1st time to drive it and check it out and you feel head over heels for it and wanted it bad and said it was a bad *** car. and I remember emailing you and you talked about what you were going to do to it after you got it.

Last edited by MAXXLIMIT; 10-27-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why are you posting in my thread for again? Nobody even brought you guys up I'm trying to get help to fix this car and you come in with worthless postings. That's right I did get rid of the tires,exhaust and was going smaller. Obviously when you plan on making a daily driver in California you won't be needing those. And Yup the ring wasn't locked in and those other issues were happening and no I wasn't bashing your brother. Don't like my postings don't read them. But that's for the bump on this post and yes he did meet with me halfways. Because as much as I wanted a car he wanted a sale and it looked clean and drove decent to me. Like I said I messed up and do regret it. But what's done is done.

Ttt for some real help again please
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

That cam is a paper weight!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cam = junk, id look at the cam bearings! check the spring pressure, and if youre digging, check the lifters too. good luck OP
Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Teching In

I'd like to see the lifter that was on that lobe also. I'm guessing you didn't pull the heads yet though.