Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68-72 A-Body, Which Pan Did you use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68-72 A-Body, Which Pan Did you use?

I moved this from Chevelles.com to see if i could generate some more interest.

This is to the ones that have already done it.
Ive read many build threads on here and LS1Tech. Every time i read them, it brings up more questions than answers. The decision of the pan affects every aspect of the LS swap. Transmision locations, accy drives ( alt and a/c ), header issues, and front suspension to name a few.

Im not ready to start a build thread yet. Im still in the research stage. I purchased a used LS3 out of a new Camaro, that was receiving an upgrade. I have a 70 Chevelle project car with the chassis/frame finished. The car is ready for paint, but i couldnt pass up the engine.

Here is my pan dilema:

FBody Pros- Shallow. Cons-Its long, move the engine back.Tranny tunnel problems, bolt access. Acc drive issues, crossmember.

CTSV Pros- Short. Engine forward, Acc drive. Cons-Deep, ground clearance. Raise engine, tranny tunnel.

H3/Muscle car Pros-Short, Price. Cons-Deep front. Deep rear.

Retro Pros- Deep front Cons- Oil control issues? Steering issues. Price

Mast Pros- Shallow front. Shallow rear. Cons- Price. unproven.

What pan, mount, acc drive did you end up using? Thanks

I forgot to mention I plan on using a 4L60E Transmission.

Anyone use the F Body pan and 4L60E tranny with no clearance issues?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesquitebean
I moved this from Chevelles.com to see if i could generate some more interest.

This is to the ones that have already done it.
Ive read many build threads on here and LS1Tech. Every time i read them, it brings up more questions than answers. The decision of the pan affects every aspect of the LS swap. Transmision locations, accy drives ( alt and a/c ), header issues, and front suspension to name a few.

Im not ready to start a build thread yet. Im still in the research stage. I purchased a used LS3 out of a new Camaro, that was receiving an upgrade. I have a 70 Chevelle project car with the chassis/frame finished. The car is ready for paint, but i couldnt pass up the engine.

Here is my pan dilema:

FBody Pros- Shallow. Cons-Its long, move the engine back.Tranny tunnel problems, bolt access. Acc drive issues, crossmember.

CTSV Pros- Short. Engine forward, Acc drive. Cons-Deep, ground clearance. Raise engine, tranny tunnel.

H3/Muscle car Pros-Short, Price. Cons-Deep front. Deep rear.

Retro Pros- Deep front Cons- Oil control issues? Steering issues. Price

Mast Pros- Shallow front. Shallow rear. Cons- Price. unproven.

What pan, mount, acc drive did you end up using? Thanks

I forgot to mention I plan on using a 4L60E Transmission.

Anyone use the F Body pan and 4L60E tranny with no clearance issues?
I bought 2001 Corvette Accessories. My research said they fit best in a-bodies.
I am waiting for the Mast pan to come out.
I intend to buy the BRP Mid-length headers as the Edelbrock headers make it impossible to service the starter on 64-67 cars and the ground clearance looks poor to me.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Speedtigger,
The LS3 I have has the long water pump and crank pulley. I havent priced the Camaro Acc. drive yet, but i think it may be a plus to have everything stick out a little further. I think we have plenty of room between the radiator.

I like the idea of mid length headers also, A little horsepower loss but a better fit I think.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

I have the fbody pan in mine, I did have to put a 1/4" plate under the motor stands due to tie rod clearance and it did move the engine back so I had to redrill the holes. I am going to use a t56 so cutting the tunnel was needed anyways. I have verified f body acc clear without issues and I am going to try the truck stuff pretty soon aswell (had to sell my original set-up and piecing together another one).
Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Teching In

I used to muscle car pan from Summit racing along with the edelbrock mounts and headers. The fit is great as is the ground clearance.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a CTS-V Pan and F-Body Accessories. I Used the Early Style BRP of mounting the engine, I did have to move the engine up a bit higher and but was able to move it as far back as I could. Used Tall and Narrow Mount with Short and Wild frame Stands.

I replaced the top of my Trans Tunnel. Using Edelbrock Headers.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm looking at starting a 72 cutlass. Looks like the muscle car/LH8/H5 pan is a pretty good choice if you're not lowering the car. Price is great, under $130 new from summit.
I also saw a build with a batwing corvette pan. May be a good choice if you're lowering the car.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by spdracer256
I used to muscle car pan from Summit racing along with the edelbrock mounts and headers. The fit is great as is the ground clearance.
You are the first person I have heard that said that pan does not hang almost 2" below the crossmember. Tell me your secret. Did you raise the motor up?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Launching!

f-body pan,gto accesories,BRP style (homemade) mounts. crossmember clears, tierods clear, even used factory GTO low drivers-side alternator with minimum grinding to steering box. Factory 2000 exhaust manifolds also....
Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Great post Mesquitebean!!!! I too have spent countless hours researching this same topic and still have not come to a clear decision on what pan to use. I have a 69 Chevelle that I'm putting in a 5.3 with a T56. I do plan to lower the car, but can't make myself pull the trigger yet on buying as I'm not quite sure which one will work. And of course, all the aftermarket pans are pretty pricey. 2nd note, I too have done lots of research and I am planning to buy the C5 accessories. GMPD has the full set for what I think is a reasonable price. 19155066 is the part number for the complete set. $769 with tax and shipping. This includes a new AC compressor and alternator..
Old 11-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Launching!

autokraft pan. everything fits great but i do have steering clearance issues at full lock. it put a couple marks on each side of the pan but other than that the pan is very nice. just wish it was a tad cheaper...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Old School Heavy

There is a new pan to discuss now too. It is the new Holley cast LS retrofit pan. I have posted all of the info in the oil pan thread.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H3 pan, truck accessories, truck intake, 1/2" plate under the frame stands, brp mounts with tall narrow sbc mounts. Ac compressor clears frame with no mods, tie rods clear, and oil pan only hangs 3/4" below corssmember
Old 11-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by chevyboy91188
H3 pan, truck accessories, truck intake, 1/2" plate under the frame stands, brp mounts with tall narrow sbc mounts. Ac compressor clears frame with no mods, tie rods clear, and oil pan only hangs 3/4" below corssmember
Wow. The BRP mounts are tall already. You had to shim those up and your pan is still below the crossmember? Does your engine still fit under the hood?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Wow. The BRP mounts are tall already. You had to shim those up and your pan is still below the crossmember? Does your engine still fit under the hood?
they are the homemade brp mounts the diagram that is online. the pan does hang really low next time I'd use a ctsv so i didnt have to go as high, but no tierod issues what so ever
Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your talking about the Early Style BRP plates.!?. The new BRPP kit style does mount the engine up a bit higher..

I used 1/4" plates for my BRP style when I made them.. my CTS-V pan is about 1" below the x-member also.

I recall that MAS is coming out with a Cast Aftermarket pan. Maybe it will be at the SEMA Show and on the market after that. Someone posted it on a thread a few months ago. Try searching..
Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Teching In

There is a new pan to discuss now too. It is the new Holley cast LS retrofit pan. I have posted all of the info in the oil pan thread.
I saw your previous post on this new Holley pan. I went to there site, but only the flyer I can find. No other information in terms of release date or price. I may try sending them an email for info.

thx
Old 11-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by MrBollWeevil97
I saw your previous post on this new Holley pan. I went to there site, but only the flyer I can find. No other information in terms of release date or price. I may try sending them an email for info.

thx
Travis at Holley tech said by the 1st quarter of 2011. However, by email, I recieved this response:
HI,
thanks for your e-mail
That part will not be available untill some time in Dec.
Do not have any specs. on it yet
Thanks Ricky
Old 11-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Travis at Holley tech said by the 1st quarter of 2011. However, by email, I recieved this response:
Thanks. I will wait to see what's the final specs and pricing for this one.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

spdrcr256: I am curious also about your ground clearance.

speedtigger: Nice find on the Holley pan. It looks like the Retro and Mast pan, but with tranny bolt holes. Hopefulley it wont cost an arm and a leg. I can wait til December for specs and pricing.

Quick Reply: 68-72 A-Body, Which Pan Did you use?