LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Need a new FWD winter car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new FWD winter car.

so my current winter time daily driver is a 2003 cadillac sts a fwd with 300HP 295 lb/ft of torque 4.6l V8 that is very heavy.

I also have a 2010 Mustang that is my summer daily driver, I'm seeking a new FWD winter car, I've always been interested in the FWD LS4's.

How would each of those cars measure up to the Cadillac? I know the LS4's are faster but by how much are we talking? Interior quality looks far better in these car as well. I really want to know if there any noticeable difference between the Impala, Monte Carlo and Lacrosse. I really hate the Pontiac interior and am forced to automatically rule that one out.

Which one out of those three has the most mod support?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by torchred'10
so my current winter time daily driver is a 2003 cadillac sts a fwd with 300HP 295 lb/ft of torque 4.6l V8 that is very heavy.

I also have a 2010 Mustang that is my summer daily driver, I'm seeking a new FWD winter car, I've always been interested in the FWD LS4's.

How would each of those cars measure up to the Cadillac? I know the LS4's are faster but by how much are we talking? Interior quality looks far better in these car as well. I really want to know if there any noticeable difference between the Impala, Monte Carlo and Lacrosse. I really hate the Pontiac interior and am forced to automatically rule that one out.

Which one out of those three has the most mod support
?
The GXP interior is a lot nicer than the stock Poncho interior.

But besides that..most mod support? For what they have its all the same. Basically all the parts work the same on all the cars. Because of the body style some parts might be a little different like the FWI will fit in the GXP but not in the MC or Impy's as well.

But any choice is about the same in performance. If I was going for a winter car..get the buick. Not many made and really nice!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:09 AM
Launching!

why would you needlessly subject yourself to the lack of traction that these cars has in the snow without good winter tires ... ALL SEASON my *** ... you want a good winter car ... solely for the winter ... buy a jeep, spend about 1000 on really good winter tires and now that youll never get stuck unless youre purposefully climbing snow hills ...

but then again, i didnt see where you live ... here in the midwest i got around better in my RWD crown victoria than i ever have in the Monte ... but its all about your driving style ... me, i like to go sideways and push through things rather than be pulled around and lose all the wheels and try to pull yourself out of trouble

i know a guy who makes it around all year in a little chevy cavalier and has never once needed a tow, where my friend with a 4x4 F350 constantly has to use the winch on the front bumper because he drives like hes 16 although being nearly 26 ...

im quite sure however that my outlook on things is jaded and will cause something of verbal ...

so ill leave you with this ... 2002 liberty sport 4x4 similar to my little sisters 2004 ... and IVE NEVER gotten that thing stuck ever ... even being a jackass

Cars.com

p.s. if this is your first and only post ... ill shoot you in the knee caps for wasting my time
Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Well said!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrJesus616

i know a guy who makes it around all year in a little chevy cavalier and has never once needed a tow,
buy a cavalier then some firestone winterforce tires. i promise you ,you will never get stuck and can go thru more snow than a truck this was my winter car i used for 2 winters, never got stuck and trust me me and this car went thru **** you wouldnt even try in a truck i still have it to and i have never had any problems with it
Old 11-03-2010, 11:03 AM

I get around just fine with my Cadillac I know pretty much what to expect from these cars in the snow. My Mustang with winter tires is fine in the snow. I pretty much am just looking for an excuse to get my hands on LSx engine in my garage.

I'm more or less looking for comparisons between the impala and the buck.

Is this a good price on an 08 Lacrosse Super?

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/bui...any&picstart=1
Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 AM

why would you needlessly subject yourself to the lack of traction that these cars has in the snow without good winter tires ... ALL SEASON my *** ... you want a good winter car ... solely for the winter ... buy a jeep, spend about 1000 on really good winter tires and now that youll never get stuck unless youre purposefully climbing snow hills ...

but then again, i didnt see where you live ... here in the midwest i got around better in my RWD crown victoria than i ever have in the Monte ... but its all about your driving style ... me, i like to go sideways and push through things rather than be pulled around and lose all the wheels and try to pull yourself out of trouble

i know a guy who makes it around all year in a little chevy cavalier and has never once needed a tow, where my friend with a 4x4 F350 constantly has to use the winch on the front bumper because he drives like hes 16 although being nearly 26 ...

im quite sure however that my outlook on things is jaded and will cause something of verbal ...

so ill leave you with this ... 2002 liberty sport 4x4 similar to my little sisters 2004 ... and IVE NEVER gotten that thing stuck ever ... even being a jackass

Cars.com

p.s. if this is your first and only post ... ill shoot you in the knee caps for wasting my time

I don't buy dodge products.

Any 2wd car will suffer from bad traction in the snow/wet winter weather.

I have a big FWD sedan for winter uses now, and I love it but the LS4's look to be a slightly smaller, better made, faster, more efficient, better handling big FWD sedan.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

I have a big FWD sedan for winter uses now, and I love it but the LS4's look to be a slightly smaller, better made, faster, more efficient, better handling big FWD sedan.
well if you want a sedan then either the super or the impala ss (seeing as you dont like the GXPs) as far as mods i think the SS would have more but the Super is a lot more rare
Old 11-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Is this a good price on an 08 Lacrosse Super?

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/bui...any&picstart=1
The $15,995 price is decent for that car and the mileage.

From what I can tell in the pics the car has the regular cd radio, no sunroof and painted rims. Everything else was standard like homelink, ultrasonic parking and heated seats/mirrors.

Another thing, take it for a test drive. You will be pleasantly surprised with the handling. It won't feel "boaty" or Buick-like.

I haven't had my car in the snow so I couldn't tell you what to expect.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Launching!

that far back Jeep was still fairly reliable ... but if youre doing it just for the lsx engine i would vote impala ss or buick ...
Old 11-03-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Says the guy that hasn't been here a month yet...
Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you grew up in the north and cant drive in the snow..just move..I drove my Z28 in the snow..my 78 Rally Sport in the snow..98 Mustang with no problem

The GXP with stock tires I had no problem with getting where I needed to.

addin snow tires to anythign just makes it much better. I did it with the Mustang and it worked like a 4x4.

Have fun.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Says the guy that hasn't been here a month yet...
Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Launching!

"but then again, i didnt see where you live ... here in the midwest i got around better in my RWD crown victoria than i ever have in the Monte ... but its all about your driving style ... me, i like to go sideways and push through things rather than be pulled around and lose all the wheels and try to pull yourself out of trouble "

coudln't be more true.
My 89 5.0 would go through everything, including drifts as tall as the hood, completely sideways by the time I was through... but i never got stuck and always stayed on the road
Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot
If you grew up in the north and cant drive in the snow..just move..I drove my Z28 in the snow..my 78 Rally Sport in the snow..98 Mustang with no problem

The GXP with stock tires I had no problem with getting where I needed to.

addin snow tires to anythign just makes it much better. I did it with the Mustang and it worked like a 4x4.

Have fun.
I don't have a problem with the mustang I just don't want my new mustang to get fucked up driving through Chicagos long winter. I just want a upgrade to my current Cadillac.

We have to worry about snow from mid October till early April.

I shouldn't have said Sedan, I should have said car. I really just need to be able to carry a third person from time to time. It's typically just me and the wife.

How much faster will an LS4 be then my Northstar caddy?

Last edited by torchred'10; 11-04-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:05 AM
Launching!

just checked cars.com for you in chicago and you can get a 2006-2007 impala ss with anywhere from 40-60K for around right around $16K ...

cant help you with the northstar thing, as the last cadillac i rode in was a CTS or DTS and it was a while ago, but i would blindly place money on the impy, because it probably doesnt weigh anywhere near as much ...

would be a good to see ... 2 full size V8 FWD GM cars going at it

2007 silver Impy SS - dont know why i always liked the silver but this one is in villa park ... looks pretty clean and it will for sure still have some warranty left for at least 12-18 months
Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

I get around just fine with my Cadillac I know pretty much what to expect from these cars in the snow. My Mustang with winter tires is fine in the snow. I pretty much am just looking for an excuse to get my hands on LSx engine in my garage.
I was going to say, you should have no issue with your cadillac i used a 98 eldorado and never once got stuck (in wisconsin) Cadillacs are the perfect winter car. Why not sell the mustang and buy a nice GTO for a summer car
Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

How much faster will an LS4 be then my Northstar caddy?
My Caddy would get up to bout 110 and shut fuel off but it got up there quick...anyway i know the ls4s are good up to about 155+ stock but if youre using it for winter...does that really matter?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

If this is specifically for winter, why aren't you looking for something AWD???