LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Buy a GXP?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a GXP?

Alright, I am really close to selling my Camaro SS and I'm looking to fill its spot with a classy car. I realize the GXPs aren't built to race anything/everything. And if you do try to race everything you'll blow the trans. I was just wondering for any of you GXP owners out there. What do you think of them? is it worth the money now days? Issues/Benefits of having one..thanks!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Mine is a daily driver, 104 miles round trip. I haven't been through the winter in it yet though.
It's very comfortable, easy / fun to drive. Has good accel. There's not a ton of aftermarket support but that in my opinion makes it a little more fun and challenging. Anyone can pick up a magazine and dial the phone.
My car has 52k miles on it. I havent had any trans trouble and to be honest, i rather abuse it. i've had it since 27k and haven't changed the filter or fluid yet.
Tires are a bitch but that shouldn't be too much different than a camaro.
I have had 0 troubles out of mine. it's comfortable and i enjoy driving it which is a big statement if you knew me. I can fit the kids and all the items they need and then some.
If you're buying it just to drive, go for it. It's a good car. We on here are a lot rougher and require some extra care that the factory didn't take like tranny coolers, camber bolts... and whatnot.
Also, i've found a lot of us on this site are very knowledgeable about issues on these cars so it's pretty good support.
But if you're looking for a race car, keep looking.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Adamcc91
Alright, I am really close to selling my Camaro SS and I'm looking to fill its spot with a classy car. I realize the GXPs aren't built to race anything/everything. And if you do try to race everything you'll blow the trans. I was just wondering for any of you GXP owners out there. What do you think of them? is it worth the money now days? Issues/Benefits of having one..thanks!
Ya I actually have a different point of view, I don't use mine as a dally more as a toy and thus I have put some beating on it and it holds up just fine so far (im at 38k). I would deff. look in to both a tranny cooler and a shift kit though for some pice of mind if you end up buying one. As far as after market support goes there is not per say a lot, however a lot of lsx parts fit these engines so its not such a big deal. Honestly, though you will have to spend a lot to get the car to be anywhere as fast as your camaro. But as far as value goes as long as you stay away from 2005's (have had the most tranny problems) and away from late 07's and all 08's (didn't get the aloca wheels) then I think your getting a good deal and has a decent chance of being a classic someday.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Banned

I race mine all the time, I am, however, on my second trans. I use TapShift every day.

I've race more times than I can count, also at 52k miles.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned

I race mine all the time, I am, however, on my second trans. I use TapShift every day.

I've race more times than I can count, also at 52k miles.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, we have Camaros and a GXP, so let me give you my opinion...

You are going to love EVERYTHING about your GXP and dislike 3 minor things:

1) You have to manually make sure the recirculating air button is on (unlike the Camaro where you just throw it on MAX A/C and it's closed off and you aren't breathing bad odors from outside the car).

2) You won't like the price of the tires. For the price of two front tires you can nearly outfit your entire Camaro with new shoes. The tires are really expensive. Including balancing, I spent $350 on just one.

3) You can't chirp the tires in a 2nd to 3rd upshift like the Camaros.

I absolutely love the car and only wish it had a little more power, a little better gas mileage in the city, and a transmission with an extra gear or two. Awesome car...

You're going to LOVE not having window motor issues like the Camaros...
Old 11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

What tires are you running? My front two run 300-350 for both... I run Falken 275/40s.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

its nothing you can even compare to a camaro but you will love it and i ran mine thru winter with the stock potenzas with no problem.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JP_GXP
What tires are you running? My front two run 300-350 for both... I run Falken 275/40s.
The Bridgestone Potenzas
Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

That's why it costs so much.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

You're going to LOVE not having window motor issues like the Camaros...[/QUOTE]

Already replaced both of mine haha Thank you so much. It's always amazing to get feedback from someone with the same equipment and has seen the change
Old 11-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JP_GXP
That's why it costs so much.
275 40s? Thats the same my camaro uses except the gxp are 18" rims right? The stock rims dont support that wide of a tire do they?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Launching!

I'd rather have a Monte Carlo SS I just couldnt find one when i went to buy the GXP. I have a GT coupe and love the coupe look. Wish my GXP was a coupe. But oh well, and if i had to do it over again, I wouldn't buy the GXP. I say stick with the Camaro SS....
Old 11-05-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing you'll like about the GP GXP over the Camaro is that the car doesn't attract as much attention in a parking lot and the body panels don't seem to door ding very easily. Nobody tries to race you either, so if you go to a bad part of town, you don't get messed with.

The tire size is 255/45-18 for the front and 225/50-18 for the rear. The RE050A potenzas were specifically created by Bridgestone via a request by GM for use on the GP GXP. The tread pattern and sidewall thickness supposely help the handling of the car and reduce torque steer. It's rare I even notice torque steer.

That said, since I don't do any performance driving and just like to blast off in a straight line on an on ramp, I think when I end up eventually needing 4 brand new tires, I'll choose just whatever lasts the longest. These special Potenzas seem too soft. I'll probably go with Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position (same type of tires we use on the Z28) because they are supposed to last 40,000 miles or more. I don't think the RE050A Potenzas last more than about 20,000.

The price is barely cheaper, but they are extremely good tires (on the Z28 at least), and will be worth it.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98GTcoupe
I'd rather have a Monte Carlo SS I just couldnt find one when i went to buy the GXP. I have a GT coupe and love the coupe look. Wish my GXP was a coupe. But oh well, and if i had to do it over again, I wouldn't buy the GXP. I say stick with the Camaro SS....
As much as i love my SS it is getting old, and its getting a bit warn out. Im ready for something more reliable, and living in west palm beach, I do end up racing it a lot. Buying a new car will really help with that issue before i get caught haha. Also I love the indash touchscreen player, and i have always loved HUD (my girlfriend has a 98 gtp) and i just fell in love with it.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by D J Real
Ya I actually have a different point of view, I don't use mine as a dally more as a toy and thus I have put some beating on it and it holds up just fine so far (im at 38k). I would deff. look in to both a tranny cooler and a shift kit though for some pice of mind if you end up buying one. As far as after market support goes there is not per say a lot, however a lot of lsx parts fit these engines so its not such a big deal. Honestly, though you will have to spend a lot to get the car to be anywhere as fast as your camaro. But as far as value goes as long as you stay away from 2005's (have had the most tranny problems) and away from late 07's and all 08's (didn't get the aloca wheels) then I think your getting a good deal and has a decent chance of being a classic someday.
Why should i stay away from those years?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

The 2005-06 Alcoa wheels are cooler, that's the main reason.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

dude dont do it. your looking for reliable dont get this car... trust me it will have its share of problems all of which arent cheap ... this car isnt a bad dd but it isnt a very reliable one and sure as hell is an expensive one stay away, u want a change? get a gto, or a g8 if your going the pontiac route... stay away man.. YOUVE BEEN WARNED
Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

my gxp has been issue free for 30k....it was my DD but will now be stored for the winter and wont be my DD next year....i would highly recommend the car
Old 11-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Ive put 78k on mine, no issues so far and i beat the crap out of it. Just a set of brakes and 2 sets of new front tires (still original rear tires). I dont know why everyone complains about these cars. i think there are just an unlucky few. Out of all the cars i have owned it is one of my favorites. I say go for it and have fun.