Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security Light On; NO START

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Light On; NO START

Hey guys, I have a 2000 WS6. More and more often, when I go to start the car, the starter will not engage, and the security light will stay on. If I wait about 2 minutes, the light will go off, and then the car will start. Even though it isn't a big deal, it can be VERY frustrating when you are in a hurry.

Any ideas as to what is causing this or what might be done to correct the problem???

Thanks in advance for any possible help!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you have a second key? Try that and if it still wont start , you might want to look into bypassing the VATS system.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Teching In

I have two keys, and it does it regardless of which key I use. How do you bypass the VATS ssytem???
Old 11-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...l#post13021355
Old 11-21-2010, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometime I don't fully seat the key into the cylinder and this will happen.

You can also stop the door alarm while the leaving the key in the On or RAP position by giving it a tug.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Teching In

there are wires that run from under the dash up into the column and are part of the ignition switch- the chip in your key completes the circuit when you put your key in the lock cylinder. I imagine that if the wires are wearing at all that it would cause this problem with whatever key you insert. the cheapest way to test this would be to unplug the harness going to the ign switch and put a resistor the same value as the key chip into the car side of the harness, if that fixes the issue, its your switch. the resistors are dirt cheap at radioshack, they should also be able to tell you what the resistance of the key is also
Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by 92jamaicayellow
. . . unplug the harness going to the ign switch . . .
Where would this harness be located and what would it look like? Any markings or insignia on the harness?

I am having a similar issue; only my wires are definitely bad because the security flashes even with a new key
Old 11-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Teching In

It was an orange wire coming out of the harness and going into the column on mine. Take the trim panel off under the steering wheel and look for one wire with a small plastic connection. I can try to take a picture of it later if you need me too. Do be aware that doing this will only bypass the chip in the key(or faulty wiring/connections to the key resistor) if your problem is still there after you've bypassed the wiring in the column you may have issues deeper in the security system. This is only an easy way to bypass one possible problem that may or may not be your issue.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Do not confuse this with the yellow airbag wires...
Old 11-23-2010, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Question

It was an orange wire coming out of the harness and going into the column on mine. Take the trim panel off under the steering wheel and look for one wire with a small plastic connection. I can try to take a picture of it later if you need me too. Do be aware that doing this will only bypass the chip in the key(or faulty wiring/connections to the key resistor) if your problem is still there after you've bypassed the wiring in the column you may have issues deeper in the security system. This is only an easy way to bypass one possible problem that may or may not be your issue.
I am far from electrically literate but if you point me in the right directions I can manage to get the job done ... Hopefully

To clarify, I do NOT have to disassemble or remove the steering column to access this wire? Just look for an orange wire and put a pellet matching resistor on it.

Any specific type of resistor?

Thank you very much for all this. I think everyone in this thread knows how much it costs to replace a cylinder switch in our cars

It's more than worth it to try
Old 11-23-2010, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It's not an orange wire - it's two wires (purple with white and white with black) that are both in an orange insulating sleeve. You want to use your resistor(s) to connect the two wires together.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

That's exactly the information I need.

Thank you for all the assistance!

Gonna run to advance for the resistor. If the issue is not corrected, AAA to the dealer

I'll post back either way
Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

there are wires that run from under the dash up into the column and are part of the ignition switch- the chip in your key completes the circuit when you put your key in the lock cylinder. I imagine that if the wires are wearing at all that it would cause this problem with whatever key you insert. the cheapest way to test this would be to unplug the harness going to the ign switch and put a resistor the same value as the key chip into the car side of the harness, if that fixes the issue, its your switch. the resistors are dirt cheap at radioshack, they should also be able to tell you what the resistance of the key is also
this is by far the best and cheapest way to do it. i had the same problem and it only gets worse trust me. save yourself the time and aggraavation of sitting around in your car waiting for it to start
Old 11-23-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

What size resistor would I need? The guy at Advance is clueless about the whole situation.

So it's the blind leading the blind unfortunately.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

WHITEBIRD00; I made the attempt with no success.

I connected the purple/white-white/black wires via a 10 amp fuse (I measured the resistance at Advance - showed 6-9) and the security light still flashes.

Therefore I'm AAA the car to this Audio/Alarm place 5 miles down the road. They can bypass the security crap

EDIT: the gauge wire I used for the resistor was 12Ga (possibly too big of a wire for the ignition wires). The ign wires are tiny.

Last edited by The Dragon; 11-23-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Well of course the guy at Advance Auto doesn't know - they don't sell resistors. You have to go to Radio Shack or an electronics supply store to buy resistors.

First, you need to read the instructions on VATS bypass in this post.

Then you need to measure the resistance of the pellet on your ignition key. Set your multimeter to the 20K ohms scale, touch the red probe to the metal contact on one side of your key and the black probe to the contact on the other side. The reading should be someplace between 0.4 and 11.8. That represents 400 ohms to 11,800 ohms. Then you need to find a resistor or combination of multiple resistors that equal the same value. It's those resistors that you wire between to the two wires in the orange sleeve.

Here are the 15 possible values for VATS resistors:
1 - 402
2 - 523
3 - 681
4 - 887
5 - 1130
6 - 1470
7 - 1870
8 - 2370
9 - 3010
10 - 3740
11 - 4750
12 - 6040
13 - 7500
14 - 9530
15 - 11800

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 11-23-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:06 AM
Teching In

I think that I paid around $5-6 for a package of resistors at radio shack, there were many in the package- I just bent the resistor into a U shape and put it in the connector on the orange wiring that I mentioned earlier and secured it with electrical tape, could be soldered in, but that seems like overkill if you tape it well and secure the wire back to the harness.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the junkyard and found another f-body. I cut the plug off for the vats. At home I measured the resistance of the chip in my original key. Then I soldered and shrink wrapped the correct resistors to the junkyard connector. I then plugged it into my vats harness. I did this so as not to mess with my oem harness, and if neccesary I can remove my vats "key" I made thus making the car much harder to steal.