Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Powered 98 Toyota Tacoma (will update with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LS1 Powered 98 Toyota Tacoma (will update with pics)

I finally purchased a motor trans setup for my 98 Toyota Tacoma 2wd extra cab pickup, going from 20+psi turbocharged 2RZ motor to an LS1 with a T56.

I should have the setup in the next few days so I can post some pics, got everything from a 2001 Camaro SS WS6 30K miles.

It had some good power but pretty low on torque unless your into a higher boost level, my turbo failed and sent metal into the oiling sustem (the main disadvantage to turbos IMO is turbo failure can hurt the motor).

I really love the truck for some reason that its small can park it anywhere, handles well for a pickup, and I just dont want a big truck...

My option was to just go out and buy a Chevy truck, but as a tech and am constantly fixing Chevy and GM products with their electronic gremlins with the gauges, fuel pump and sender, etc...and I just honestly dont want one, but I like the power of a V8 since I own also a 69 Camaro that I built and there is nothing like that kind of power...however its Procharged and has a Holley Commander MPFI, TH400 / Gear Vendors and TONS of other mods.

I am going to remove the Procharger and put it on the LS1 since the plan with the Camaro is Twin turbos so thats in the works as well..

First off is install of the LS1 and 6 speed, once I get that I will start posting pics of the install etc...more to come soon.

Been waiting forever on this since the forst swap didnt work out, was trying to put a 4.0L 1GR Toyota motor (comes in FJs and Tacomas) and found the motor to be junk as I was fitting it after I pulled the pan, so that wasted about a month of my time after all said and done, but now its on the the LS1, just have to go pick it up and get started..

Pics to come soon!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My DD is a 2wd 98 Tacoma extra cab. The whole reason I haven't bought a newer truck is they supersized everything a few years ago. That year is about the perfect size vehicle for a suburban homeowner like me.

Waiting to see how this works out.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thought about doing the same project, but haven't seen anyone on this forum complete one yet.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Here are some pics..

Old swap (4.0 1GR-FE) motor was junk....sent it back...it was Fkin huge for a V6

Name:  clutch038.jpg
Views: 14056
Size:  191.7 KB

Truck stripped

Name:  clutch028.jpg
Views: 12737
Size:  245.2 KB

New setup..

Name:  DSC06954.jpg
Views: 10948
Size:  212.8 KB

Name:  DSC06953.jpg
Views: 10712
Size:  172.3 KB

The old setup with GT3076R ball bearing turbo...made over 350WHP!!

Name:  DSC06655.jpg
Views: 12197
Size:  173.1 KB

Name:  motorpics017.jpg
Views: 12442
Size:  173.5 KB

I wil document this swap with lots of pictures and info...
Old 12-05-2010, 03:14 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting swap...When you tell folks it came out of a Camaro SS WS6, you can drop the "WS6" part. That was for the 'bird.
The following users liked this post:
Jimbo1367 (01-11-2023)
Old 12-05-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my '89, basically the same as the first gen Tacoma except the Tacoma's have coil spring fronts and Rack & Pinion steering.

Good luck w/ your swap... I wasted my time w/ a RB25DET swap before realizing the "power" wasn't worth it and sold that to someone while I did the LS1 swap.

Still just poking about in it, doing a little garage paint work on it having just removed the stripes and filling in the old side view mirror holes in the doors. It's a blast, if you don't love it, I'll be surprised.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...rive-time.html

Last edited by rotor vs. piston; 12-05-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Interesting swap...When you tell folks it came out of a Camaro SS WS6, you can drop the "WS6" part. That was for the 'bird.
I didnt realize that was a body/chassis designation, lol, dont want to look dumber than I already am..
UmmKay....

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
Here's my '89, basically the same as the first gen Tacoma except the Tacoma's have coil spring fronts and Rack & Pinion steering.

Good luck w/ your swap... I wasted my time w/ a RB25DET swap before realizing the "power" wasn't worth it and sold that to someone while I did the LS1 swap.

Still just poking about in it, doing a little garage paint work on it having just removed the stripes and filling in the old side view mirror holes in the doors. It's a blast, if you don't love it, I'll be surprised.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...rive-time.html

Nice thread.... I cant wait to get this thing up and running, I am currently looking for a GTO Oil Pan so I can start the swap..since the Tacoma has a crossmember with a rear mounted rack, so I need a front sump pan.

After that its time for fitting.

Last edited by Speed Freek; 12-07-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Going to cut out the trans tunnel and also some of the firewall for clearance so I can get this beast in there, looks like its going to be a perfect fit with the GTO pan if I can ever find one...

Edit, only had to massage the tunnel in certain places and cut the ear off the trans where it hit the body

Last edited by Speed Freek; 11-10-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice! You need to get a custom plate that says some variation of evltaco, bdtaco, etc. LOL
Old 12-07-2010, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by $750 L98
Nice! You need to get a custom plate that says some variation of evltaco, bdtaco, etc. LOL
Haha, now that would lend itself to giving away the little secret I will have packed under the hood...

Even when turbocharged I kept the truck looking bone stock except for some new wheels and tires, its not lowered (actually have 4x4 leaf springs in the rear so the truck sits level) just leveled..

No tinted windows, I even have the stock tailpipe coming out the side with another pipe hidden underneath so even the exhaust looks totally stock, living in California you dont want to do anything that might make police say "Pop you hood sir"..

Here are some more pics from my progress yesterday, I got the motor set where I want it, and I just had to massage the firewall a bit with a persuasive hammer. and that made the clearance for the bellhousing and I didnt even need to break out the saw!! I thought I was going to need some major surgery..

I also need to think ahead and see if once I get the engine mounted it can be removed with the core support welded back in..I may have to modify the crossmember to be removeable, after I add another crossmember somewhere to keep the strength since that member I would be cutting is a major structural component..my truck is going want to turn into a pretzel when throttle is applied, so I am going to stiffen up the frame a bit in a few key locations..

Here is the motor going in for one of the several fittings..

Name:  DSC06965.jpg
Views: 19366
Size:  175.1 KB

Here it is in the place where I am going to mount it, fit so nicely......well except for the lack of space for a drivers side header..., going to have to figure something out with the exhaust manifolds, maybe modified Corvette headers? Or if I need to I will make custom headers for both sides, but I may want to go turbo in the future soo...gotta think about it first..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Sets pretty far back for weight bias, god only knows I need weight on the back tires...

[IMG][/IMG]

Went out and bought some material and bushings so I can fabricate the engine mounts, I already cut the stock perches from the frame, and everything lines up very well with the mounting plates I cut out and bolted to the block from 1/4 inch material, I also got some tabs to weld to the plate once I get it all tacked in..

[IMG][/IMG]

Pic from underneath (still waiting on the GTO oilpan, should be here by the end of the week) I dont want to weld anything until I get the pan on to verify clearance..

Here is the driver side, hmmmm where is the exhaust going to go...gotta go somewhere, but I'll figure it out.

[IMG][/IMG]

A pic from the underside of the same area

[IMG][/IMG]

It looks like the shifter is going to be about 5-6 inches further rearward than the stock location so I will have to fabricate a custom shifter that will reach the stock location and it will look like it belongs there..

I am moving right along, now I am just doing research on headers to see if there is something available that will work or can be slightly modified before I go off and spend all that time on building new headers..maybe some block huggers and I can snake the piping around.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right, I did already have my tranny tunnel modified before I did the LS1 swap... forget about that sometimes.

I'm able to weigh my cars, mine came in right ~2800lbs w/ 60% front and 40% rear w/o gas. That's pretty good for a truck IMO.

I used F-body manifolds, modified a little. I tried corvette manifolds w/ no luck... might be a little different for you because our steering shafts are different.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
Right, I did already have my tranny tunnel modified before I did the LS1 swap... forget about that sometimes.

I'm able to weigh my cars, mine came in right ~2800lbs w/ 60% front and 40% rear w/o gas. That's pretty good for a truck IMO.

I used F-body manifolds, modified a little. I tried corvette manifolds w/ no luck... might be a little different for you because our steering shafts are different.
Wow 2800, thats light, I think my Tacoma weight around 2800ish pounds stock, I will be curious to see what the curb weight will be when I am done, it weighs a little more because of the extra cab.

I am going to order some block hugger headers and I can route the piping where it needs to go, there is just enough space to get the exhaust through the steering shaft and the bellhousing...with the F-body manifold on the driver side it is a no go since it points directly at the steering shaft and wont even mount because it makes contact first.

I just need to find the best block hugger that dumps pretty high and tight to the block..so I have enough space for a large radius so flow wont be impeded.

I am soo tempted to just make my own headers that route the exhaust forward into a merge that exits into a T4 flange and turbocharge it, but I should just get it working and knock out all the gremlins before I complicate everything, but I should just save that for later and stick with my plan to install my ProCharger from my 67 Camaro on the LS motor if I can find the brackets and pulley cheap enough, I just really like turbos

Hope to have the oilpan by the end of the week so I can finalize the mounting points and then I can start on the exhaust system, I am going to try and keep the exhaust looking stock somehow...I dont want anyone to know what hit them...gonna be great.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Speed Freek
I just need to find the best block hugger that dumps pretty high and tight to the block..so I have enough space for a large radius so flow wont be impeded.
Would C6 manifolds work? Probably what I'm going to need, for the same reason. They'll probably flow as well, and should be available for just about nothing.

Name:  B-TDeow2kKGrHqFiEEzLbM3PUBM8Uf7Zg_12.jpg
Views: 10662
Size:  19.5 KB
Old 12-08-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to look at CTS-V manifolds. I am using them on the 89 Toyota Supra that we are building. The steering shaft is in the way on it too but the manifolds clear after we angle milled them a little to move them closer to the block.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default c6 manifolds

Hey Earl, if you end up going with the c6 manifolds I have a set off a 2007 Corvette I'll sell ya. $150.00 + shipping, theyre like new only had 2000 miles on them.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Teching In

0nice0
Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Impressed ...... Not really by the swap even tho its really unique.. Im truely amazed by the frame rails in the pics..
Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Been a while since I have updated this build but I have been working dilligently on it with every spare second of my time.

After searching for headers that would fit I came to the conclusion that nothing would work mainly because of the steering shaft in the worst spot possible so I had to end up making custom headers, however it was my first attempt building custom headers but they actually came out very good, but I wish I had gone with larger primaries, I may have to redo it in the future since I thing the 1-5/8 may be a little on the small side since I will be doing some mods in the near future.

Here is the crossmember modification.

Name:  Picture004-1.jpg
Views: 10634
Size:  144.5 KB

[IMG]

[IMG]
Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Next up is the headers and exhaust..

Header goodies (All V-band connections)

[IMG][/IMG]

Name:  Picture040.jpg
Views: 11858
Size:  146.5 KB

[IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The exhaust is dual 3" mandrel bend into a Dynomax muffler with built in X-pipe, then into 3" x 18" resonators (glasspacks) into 2.5" dual mandrel for the tailpipe section.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Here it is all mounted but not completely wired, I had to customize my A/C lines and power steering lines and fuel lines by TIG welding A/N fittings to them for connectibility from Chevy to Toyota stuff, checked for leaks and everything is totally sound, however I havent gotten to charging up the A/C yet to check that system until I get it all wired up so I can actually charge it..

[IMG][/IMG]

I got it to fire for up to 5 seconds and it dies since I have not disabled the VATS, and I also need to disable rear O2s, AIR and EGR, and then it should be ready to work out any bugs until I consider tuning it for more power..

Does anyone know how much people charge to delete unecessary ECU functions without a tune?
I am still on the fence on buying an HP Tuner since I used to work at a Dyno shop and I do a lot of forced induction tuning on various systems mainly Haltech and split second systems so I know what I am doing on the tuning front since it used to be my primary job, but looking for a used one since I am getting tapped out on funds...hopefully I can find one, but until then I would like to find someone local to do the delete for me..

Getting close!!

Quick Reply: LS1 Powered 98 Toyota Tacoma (will update with pics)