Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Magically Disappearing 9310 Mainshaft Thread - Where'd it go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:41 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Magically Disappearing 9310 Mainshaft Thread - Where'd it go?

About a few days ago I was reading a thread about 9310 mainshafts and the other than viper spec options out there for transmission builds. I've noticed that it has magically disappeared and all of the really good information in it is gone. What happened here? That was a really good discussion that is now missing. I'm working on a transmission build now and was thinking of potentially using a 9310 mainshaft or one of TDP's modified shafts that was being talked of in the thread and now POOF...
Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was wondering the same thing in another thread.. Is Jason (TDP) still on? Maybe he can jump in.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is in the thread graveyard right now (moderators have access). I'll check and see why it happened.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:27 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are referring to threads posted by LS123 I moved them. It was reported to me by paying sponsors of his actions. I've warned him before about non-sponsor soliciting and still he continued with it. He even had adds on Craigslist.com soliciting business, in those adds he had links pointing to LS1TECH.com.

~ Craig
Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Guess we'll have to start a new thread then, since the old one was 'tainted'
Old 12-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I guess that explains it.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well let's keep going with the tech side of this . I have a spare piece of 4340 @ work but I think it's too small . I still think an SSR shaft made from an upgraded material would be the **** . This should be possible without a huge expense as long as the material isn't very exotic . I think 4340 would have the right blend of strength and value . There are better grades such as 300M but the price goes up quickly, especially if it's VIM/VAR or commonly known as Double Vacuum Melted .
Old 12-14-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

CRAGER, Is it possible to delete his posts and bring that thread back? There was a lot of good info and back and forth discussion about T56 internals there...most of what was posted can probably be re-posted...but losing good info stinks
Old 12-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Banned

What I don't get is why you guys think making a shaft from better material is going to really improve anything. Raise your hand if you have seen even the regular old Viper shaft break? The input shaft and cluster gear are weaker than the output shaft and will fail sooner. Its like have 33 spline axles in a GM 7.5" diff. Whats the point? The ring and pinion will fail most of the time even before the factory 28" axles do.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
What I don't get is why you guys think making a shaft from better material is going to really improve anything. Raise your hand if you have seen even the regular old Viper shaft break? The input shaft and cluster gear are weaker than the output shaft and will fail sooner. Its like have 33 spline axles in a GM 7.5" diff. Whats the point? The ring and pinion will fail most of the time even before the factory 28" axles do.
Good commentary on cost vs. benefit of non-stock "exotic" parts.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

I believe I did mention in the deleted thread, that there have been (at least 3) posts here that I remember on broken/twisted viper splines. It's not many, but it can be a point to consider. Also, it's not only the shaft size but the ability to run the double/triple cone synchros. They have been proven to shift out to 8000rpms while the double/singles can be limited to 6500 depending on clutch,etc..
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't want anything exotic , I would like to have the option to upgrade certain components that do break - including viper mainshafts . I really want the improved shifting of the triple cone setup . I'd also like to strengthen other areas of the transmission . 85MikeTPI did an awesome write up using the SSR mainshaft . I'd be pretty happy with that upgrade with a one piece cluster .
Old 12-15-2010, 09:11 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jmd
Good commentary on cost vs. benefit of non-stock "exotic" parts.
It would be extremely expensive to make a shaft from chromium nickel steel (4340). I wouldn't even know what to start guessing as far as price would be

While Mike85TPI has a good valid point, I don't think it would ever be worth the cost. The 30, 31, or 32 spline shafts hold up great for the most part.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

I believe that was the thread where we were discussing transmission case flex as a possible cause for input shaft/counter shaft gear failures on high hp cars.

Mike
Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TDP
It would be extremely expensive to make a shaft from chromium nickel steel (4340). I wouldn't even know what to start guessing as far as price would be

While Mike85TPI has a good valid point, I don't think it would ever be worth the cost. The 30, 31, or 32 spline shafts hold up great for the most part.
In the removed thread, I posted a link to a non-sponsor listing both 9310 and 4340 mainshafts, but like you say, they were $550 and $1000 respectively. I believe TICK (re)sells these mainshafts (at least the 30-spline 9310) so maybe they can chime in and provide some tech ?

For the most part, I agree with thesource on the diminishing returns on some of these shafts when using stock gears. But I think we'll all agree that the stock 27-spline shafts can be the weak link, even on stock gearsets..
Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mikey you're correct . I asked at what point is the case going to be the issue . We don't see cases breaking but the case flexing under load will cause other items such as gears and shafts to break . The desire for upgraded parts is everywhere . Tranzilla costs so much because it has upgraded internals . 85MikeTPI came up with an affordable alternative . How far can we go with this transmission ?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TDP

I read into Mike's posts as "the SSR info I posted is a better option than those Viper units on a strength and rpm basis."

Originally Posted by v8pwr
I don't want anything exotic , I would like to have the option to upgrade certain components that do break - including viper mainshafts . I really want the improved shifting of the triple cone setup . I'd also like to strengthen other areas of the transmission . 85MikeTPI did an awesome write up using the SSR mainshaft . I'd be pretty happy with that upgrade with a one piece cluster .
I'd hope so, that's about as good as it gets with TTC / big 3 parts.

Mikey you're correct . I asked at what point is the case going to be the issue . We don't see cases breaking but the case flexing under load will cause other items such as gears and shafts to break . The desire for upgraded parts is everywhere . Tranzilla costs so much because it has upgraded internals . 85MikeTPI came up with an affordable alternative . How far can we go with this transmission ?
If you're breaking an SSR mainshaft, you're probably making enough power that a more serious, less OD-intense box is a valid option.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

That's the theory I'm leaning toward. I think the case is flexing just enough to cause the counter shaft to twist away from it's normal axis, then causing the gears to not mesh correctly, which in turn causes rapid excessive heat. The next thing you know, teeth are flying off the counter shaft and input shaft. I've always thought that small bearing between the input shaft and mainshaft was way too small as well. It's another weak area IMO.

Mike
Old 12-17-2010, 11:16 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
That's the theory I'm leaning toward. I think the case is flexing just enough to cause the counter shaft to twist away from it's normal axis, then causing the gears to not mesh correctly, which in turn causes rapid excessive heat. The next thing you know, teeth are flying off the counter shaft and input shaft. I've always thought that small bearing between the input shaft and mainshaft was way too small as well. It's another weak area IMO.

Mike
In regards to gear heat how much do you guys think that these gear oil pumps people are hooking up help? Are they just cruthes or a plausible solution?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
In regards to gear heat how much do you guys think that these gear oil pumps people are hooking up help? Are they just cruthes or a plausible solution?
In some situations they are a crutch/bandaid. In some cases they are solutions. If your car is 3800lbs+ and making 800+hp it is a crutch becaues just running the car WOT in 3rd and 4th gear will generate enough heat to melt down the input and cluster. If your car is a drag car within a reasonable power level and pulling serious 60ft times causing the fluid to slosh to the rear of the case and starving the input, cluster and 3rd gear of fluid the pump is a viable alternative.

Quick Reply: Magically Disappearing 9310 Mainshaft Thread - Where'd it go?