Will to Florida

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will to Florida

K folks, eating at my work Christmas party, I noticed ESPN scroll the screen and are announcing Will Muschamp as new Head Coach at Florida. If this is true, how do you think his team will perform for him. I thought he was UT coach in waiting, but Mac Brown isn't going anywhere. So I guess we need an OC and DC at the University of Texas.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Not surprised at all. Every year, he is named as a candidate for some job in the SEC, and every year he'd come out a few days after the rumors started, saying he's staying put. This year, the Florida gig was too good to pass up. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I hope that it was just a better job for him and that there's not something bigger going on behind the scenes at Texas.

-Mike
Old 12-12-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will to FL

soo, lets go through the run down.

Greg Davis, Gone
Will Muschamp, Gone

I love UT, but 2 coordinators gone in less then a month. No offesiven identity this season, defense looked bad this year too. it is going to be interesting to see what happen over the next 9 months.

this years is looking bad for Texas (state as a whole) football. Cowboys suck, Texans have fallen apart (but Johnson did whip the **** out of Finnigan), and all the College teams didnt look that great.

But the the basketball season is looking good...
Old 12-12-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TAMU and TCU seemed to have good seasons, and they are in texas. Hell, Baylor even secured a Bowl game. Need to take off the longhorn blinders.

Texas has alot of work to do.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Muschamp is a joke, he's the next Lane Kiffin.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

ags have a decent year in over 12 years and all of a sudden think they are amazing.

lets have a couple, maybe a few solid seasons in a row and see what comes.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Back to the longhorns, this sucks... and looks that Muschamp will be taking Applewhite with him to Florida.

All I have to say is that we are TEXAS, and we should be able to fill those positions with more top notch coaching staff as we have done before.

This isn't the first time we lost a big coordinator (ala Gene Chizick) and we ended up eventually with Muschamp.

Also, this is the coach that turned what mack said was an amazing defense (in august) that turned into a team that was getting run over by Iowa State and UCLA. So, maybe Muschamp quit on the team, or the players quit... either way on to the next chapter.

2 heisman
4 national championships
HOOK'EM
Old 12-12-2010, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redz_02
TAMU and TCU seemed to have good seasons, and they are in texas. Hell, Baylor even secured a Bowl game. Need to take off the longhorn blinders.

Texas has alot of work to do.
true enough...TCU is good, but lets see how they do againist a good team. they looked good last year, but lost to BSU. D-1 FBS Texas Schools went a combined recorded of 65-56. they are in 6 bowls, so at the end of the bowl season, we will see where they stand. i think they will go 3-3 in bowls. winner being Tech barely over NW, SMU beating Army, and Baylor beating Illini. with TCU losing to Wisconsin, TAMU losing to LSU, and UTEP losing to BYU.

to me the only way teh state can salvage a barley .500 record will be to do very good in the bowls.

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
Muschamp is a joke, he's the next Lane Kiffin.
BAHAHAHAHA

Edit: school W-L

TAMU: 9-3 UT: 5-7 Tech: 7-5 Baylor: 7-5 Rice: 4-8 SMU: 7-6 UH: 5-7 UTEP: 6-6 TCU 12-0 UNT: 3-9

Last edited by ColeGraham; 12-12-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was surprised to read the news as well. Best of luck and success to Muschcamp!!!

Should knock all the holier-than-thou hardcore UT fans down a peg or two back to reality. Especially those who post here that always dish out ****, but get butt hurt when the tables get turned. UT has the best fair weather fans in the country. Love it!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
I was surprised to read the news as well. Best of luck and success to Muschcamp!!!

Should knock all the holier-than-thou hardcore UT fans down a peg or two back to reality. Especially those who post here that always dish out ****, but get butt hurt when the tables get turned. UT has the best fair weather fans in the country. Love it!!!
what, the reality that we had one of the most sought after coaches in the land of D1 football? the fact that Florida was able to offer him up his dream job and pass up being the highest paid DC in the land?

the fact that UT grosses 5 mil PROFIT every home game will leave us with enough money to land another solid OC, and DC. We are Texas, 2nd most winning-est team in NCAA FB.

You talk as we need to get knocked down a peg, but you know what, winning in the style that UT has for so long, you can get that way.

ONE thing i'll never understand is where the aggies think they WERE so good.... I mean they were awesome in a conference that was comparable to MAC or WAC, WOOOO SWC!!!!!!! Even then they choked on the big stage EVERY time. Failing to come up with at least a national championship.

Aggies are just jelly of the horns and their storied success in the land of CFB.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

wait, are you an OU fan right? :rofl:

or is it TCU

**** I can't remember all your apes school of choice.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
You talk as we need to get knocked down a peg, but you know what, winning in the style that UT has for so long, you can get that way.
You are exactly the UT type of fan mentioned. You dish, but you can't take...

At least you admit it, so Im glad we agree on something!

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
wait, are you an OU fan right? :rofl:

or is it TCU
Neither, Im not even an aggie, etc., but I will cheer for any team before I would ever supoprt UT. You seem to have the sense of entitlement the UT players have. It's cute!

Found this for great humor, knowing all season long you bitched about how poorly UT played. Don't even act like you supported your team through this past season, because you didn't...

In all fairness and good nature, best of luck to UT next year. Perhaps we might even see McCoy 2.0, and what his skills are.

Curious to see how the now New Big 10 will stand against the other conferences. Im out!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

i spent my time and money there... i feel i have some say.

kinda funny, please enlighten me as to where you went to college. I mean nobody more fair weather than you it seems.

Always and will be a life supporter of UT.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

in the end, haters are going to hate... UT will reload and be back in the mix.

This list feels good:

Michigan 877 302
Texas 845 318
Notre Dame 837 292
Oklahoma 845? 318
Ohio State 819 308
Boise State 354 143
Nebraska 832 341
Alabama 792 308
Tennessee 773 327
USC 761 307

--per wiki

winning so much hurts soooooooooo goooooood.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

I shed a tear when I heard the news... now I'm just pissed
Old 12-13-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh I didn't pay attention to any news yesterday so I heard it today when I decided to check out the news just to verify that Cam Newton got the Heisman (I just assumed he would)... I went to Texas (00-04) and am a Texas fan. I watched all of the games that were on TV. Couldn't get to Austin to see any unfortunately. I'm not going to apologize for being a Texas fan. We did pretty poorly this year, might even be pretty sad next year but it isn't like I am going to go out and buy OU gear (although for some reason I did root for them against Nebraska...)

I was sort of unhappy, but on the other hand I don't blame him at all. Some people want to act like he is the biggest traitor ever, but honestly he lived near Gainesville, and played at Georgia... he would have been our head coach this year if they didn't get Colt killed on a poorly called play last Jan... and he might have stayed at Texas if Mack retired this year or gave him a real time-table.

Hopefully we can get some good coordinators. We certainly have the budget to pay the OC and DC $1million a year if we wanted to. If we could get Randy Shannon I would be happy. He has had some very good defenses over time at Miami. He also managed to get discipline under control there as head coach which was no small feat. He is also relatable by players and would be a good recruiter. I think he would get the defense playing well and hold them accountable.

For offense, who knows where they should look exactly. I like Major Applewhite and hope he stays on staff, but I don't know that he is quite ready for prime time as OC. Honestly I would have liked if he was given play calling responsibilities this year though, as I think he would have been an upgrade from GD. His biggest asset is that he is a very powerful recruiter for Texas, and knows talent. Sadly he was overruled in a few key cases by some meddling from MB... The OC from Boise St, Harsin, probably wouldn't be too bad. Our good buddy Mike Leach would certainly be interesting... but I don't know if he would want the job (he might not be interested in just an OC job... although making $1million a year is better than $0 a year).

The most important point though is that whoever comes over has to deal with MB and probably some meddling that is more harmful than helpful. MB has been pretty successful at Texas. He has a bunch of wins. Look at the number of wins he has over the past 10 years... Compare that number to every other school in FBS...

HOWEVER... while I can give MB credit for improving the program compared to how he found it, he has not been what I would consider an elite coach due to the lack of development of talent despite top rated recruiting classes, the "family atmosphere" without real accountability (on or off the field really), and a history of dubious game day decisions throughout his tenure here. I wasn't a fan of Greg Davis either and I always felt that when the offense was very successful it was despite, not due to, the coaching, but I have to admit GD can't take all of the credit since Mack was the boss and it was his ultimate responsibility. We could have certainly had worse coaches, but I do think that considering the talent level and budget at Texas he has underperformed. There are a lot of coaches that do more with a bit less.

And now the problem we have is that MB is more concerned about legacy than necessarily winning football games. Add this to the fact that the conference is weakening next year and it may make us hiring some new blood at coaching positions a bit tougher.