Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lets turn my foglights into turn signals.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Lets turn my foglights into turn signals.

The goal is use fog light housing for turn signals.

The 3157 bulbs are dual filaments and the 880 bulbs aren't

I don't care to retain the drl, if this is technically possible.

Would this be simple as properly slicing the wires to be wired to the fog light sockets from the drl/turn signal harness?

Can the 880 bulbs be used as turn signals?

TIA
Old 12-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You don't need dual filament because both the turn signals and the DRLs use the bright filament. The dim filament is used only for the running lights when the headlights are on.

You can eliminate the DRL function by bypassing them at the DRL module behind the radio. There are two ways - you can remove the four turn signal wires and splice them together (dark blue to dark blue with white and light blue to light blue with white) or you can solder a jumper inside the module (search for DRL bypass to find the exact soldering instructions).

There's a couple of problems. First, white turn signals are illegal. Second, halogen bulbs don't flash well. You might consider getting some 880 LED replacement bulbs in amber to solve both problems.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be unique most people may think it is just a wiring disorder
Old 12-20-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FactoryPhil
be unique most people may think it is just a wiring disorder
It may look odd to other fbody owners but nothing out of ordinary to people that don't know these cars since the fogs housing are just as visible to other drivers.

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You don't need dual filament because both the turn signals and the DRLs use the bright filament. The dim filament is used only for the running lights when the headlights are on.

There's a couple of problems. First, white turn signals are illegal. Second, halogen bulbs don't flash well. You might consider getting some 880 LED replacement bulbs in amber to solve both problems.
I ordered 2 amber 880 led bulbs to have good visible flashing bulb.

Since the new LED 880s are single filament and DRL option is disabled the running lights wouldn't work even if the headlight switch is in either one of the 3 positions, correct?
Old 12-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I ordered 2 amber 880 led bulbs to have good visible flashing bulb.

Since the new LED 880s are single filament and DRL option is disabled the running lights wouldn't work even if the headlight switch is in either one of the 3 positions, correct?
Well, yes... depending on how you want them. Since the parking (running) light circuit still goes to the original housing, you could have them come on with the headlights if you wanted. But no, there's no way to have the new LED bulbs in the fog light housings act as both turn signals and parking lights. With some creative wiring you could set them up to run as full intensity running lights and still flash with the turn signals but this would be basically DRLs running at night (NRLs?).
Old 12-20-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I won't be doing any creative wiring since I don't want DRLs/NRLs on in any position of the light switch. (NRLs ).

My next question is, can I wire 2 strips of LEDs into the parking light's harness that usually connects to 194 bulb socket?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I 'll hi jack my own thread...

Can I replace the convertible top's button in my '01 from a '96 camaro convertible?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wired mine to work as drl's and as turn signals and got rid of the factory drl's on the sides of the trans am bumper. looks good hope it worked out for yours
Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

FWIW, I took out my 880 bulbs and added 880 white leds long ago, I also took out my amber 3157 bulbs and added, you guessed it, white leds, looks very European.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

So do the turn signals flash white? BTW - Flashing white is an international distress signal...
Old 06-08-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rabbit320
i wired mine to work as drl's and as turn signals and got rid of the factory drl's on the sides of the trans am bumper. looks good hope it worked out for yours

I don't know if your T/A is wired the same way my camaro is, but can you tell me what exactly did you do.

Did you actually clip and solder wires or is there more creative/clean way to do this?

Quick Reply: Lets turn my foglights into turn signals.