Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Good speakers for LT & cammed car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good speakers for LT & cammed car?

In the last 2 years I've added LTs to my Corsa catback and most recently an EPS cam. The car has gotten progressively louder inside, causing me to turn up the volume more, until I now have a buzz in the passenger door.

I don't need a hifi replacement, since it is such a poor (loud) listening environment, but I would like a pair for the doors that can handle the higher output levels that I'm pumping into them now.

Kee audio wrote:
Prices start around $86.00 for a quality set of speakers from JBL. The CDT CL-61CV is $169.00 shipped to the lower 48 states.
Would the $86 pair fit the bill? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 02:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, get the JBL P662 speakers their more efficient, and while you have the door panels off you should put 1 or 2 layers sound deadening inside the doors.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

while you have the door panels off you should put 1 or 2 layers sound deadening inside the doors.
That's a great idea. I've thought about it for years, esp the passenger door which sounds "tinny" when you close it hard. Didn't know if or how it was done. I'll definitely check into it, as well as the JBLs. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just marked the CDT's down as well. They are currently $159.99 shipped within the US. The JBL's work but will need to be modded slightly for use in the Camaro.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah,since getting the door panels off is the hardest part (not hard). All you would need to do after removing the speakers is remove the water/moisture barrier, the reconnect the switch to put the window up, the get a roll of paper towels and a bottle of rubbing alcohol and clean the backside of the outer door skin from about the crash bar all the way down. With that done cut your sound deadening into 6" x 8" pieces and start at the crash bar above the speaker mount location and work your way to the end of the door. Use one of the small wooden rolls over the deadening to help get the best bond to the door skin. Repeat until you've got all the way to the bottom. I'd recommend using either Second Skin, Damplifier Pro or Damplifier. I'd use 1 layer of Damplifier Pro, or 2 layers of Damplifier. If you still feel like taking it 1 step further then glue a layer of their Luxury Liner Pro(best), or OverKill Pro(good) to the pieces of Damplifier/Pro before installing it. I'd do this the day before so you don't have spray adhesive smell in you car.
BTW, I did this to my car, it works great!
Have a Merry X-mas!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-23-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

I just noticed you wrote back. Wow, thanks for taking the time to give me all the info I need. I will definitely do this, as I've wondered about it for as long as I've had the car, but never heard of anyone doing it until now (not that I searched).
It'll have to wait til the house empties after the holidays:-)
Right now I'm pricing speakers. Not Cheap! Prob leave the dry sponge I put in to baffle the buzz a little longer. (Sorry Lee) The new cam & tune set me back enough for now.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just thought you'd appreciate the info, since you plan on replacing the door speakers any way.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

After just a quick search I found this excellent thread with lots of pics from other guys who sound dampened the WHOLE inside of their fbodies.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...nterior-2.html

This will definitely be my next mod in January. I was even considering swapping out the Corsa muffler for the (supposedly) quieter Magnaflow. The other day, my son drove the car for the first time with the new cam. I could still hear him accelerating normally through traffic when he was a mile away!!!

This is the reason I didn't want to spend money on high fidelity speakers. What's the point in such a loud environment? If I can quiet it down, I may have to splurge on good speakers as well :-)
BTW Kee (sorry I called you Lee), your CI61CVs are the best price around.

Last edited by Paul 1953; 12-23-2010 at 11:24 AM.