LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cranks over but wont fire up

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default cranks over but wont fire up

Just bought a 93 firebird formula a few days ago. The car cranks right over but will not fire. Fuel pressure is right on... new pump and regulator. Coil fires strong and right on, but when I pull a wire and jump out spark to the block I only get a couple weak sparks and then nothing. The opti seems to have a new cap and rotor, but not too sure how old the other components are. Could this be a pcm issue or a bad ground, or is this indicative of an opti on its way out? I did take the opti apart and it was pretty clean. If anyone has had a similar issue please help me out. Thanks - Dan

Last edited by DMarts10; 12-26-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine was doing the same but spark never stopped off plugs, ended up being fouled plugs but beyond that im not much help

might try this page for trouble shooting
http://shbox.com/1/how_tos.html
Old 12-27-2010, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say its your opti. i put a ebay opti on my car after 100 miles it would not start, went with a new gm opti, the the car ran and started real good
Old 12-27-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Worth a trip to autozone to have the ICM tested. They have a 'plug in and test' bench for them. Make sure they run the test 2-3 times back to back so it can get warm enough to show failure if it's weak. Coil could also be weak, but its cold resistance measured with a voltmeter won't tell the whole story. I'd test the ICM and if it's good, throw a coil at it before tearing down for another opti...
Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

To be honest i may very well go out and get a new opti. The reason being, that when I removed the coil wire at the opti and held it next to the block, while cranking the motor over, i get a strong consistent spark. So wouldn't this mean that the opti is the weak link, and that the icm is properly functioning? Any input is appreciated.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Ok, that makes more sense. You initially said coil was strong but I wondered how you concluded that if spark was getting weak... if it's strong/ consistent right at the coil, that makes more sense.

The new looking cap/ rotor may be a clue that someone tried them hoping it would cure the same problem you're trying to eliminate. But, before you run out to buy an opti, check the connector to it for condition of the contacts. Other end is along the pass. side of the intake.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gojira94
The new looking cap/ rotor may be a clue that someone tried them hoping it would cure the same problem you're trying to eliminate.
Yeah I think thats exactly what happened. The cap and rotor are new along with the ICM, the plugs, wires, fuel pump, and regulator. But the internals of the opti are certainly not new, aside from the rotor. The guy who I bought the car from said he had all this work done at a shop and the car stalled out half way home, after running extremely rich, and wasn't able to start it again. When I bought it, I adjusted the fuel pressure to 45 psi while cranking the motor (was at 67 psi), but still no luck firing the car up. Thats when I began the ignition testing and found the opti to be the weak link. I get it in the mail tomorrow and hope to get the firebird on the road.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Ended up replacing the opti, coil, icm, and replaced the junk aftermarket fuel pressure regulator with the stock part, and the firebird started right up for me the couple times I drove it. Then, the starter solenoid went on me, so I'm waiting on that to come in the mail. I gotta say I'm happy with my purchase tho, picked it up for 1300 and put about 700 into it. Now i have a $2000 car w new mid-length ceramic coated headers, k&n intake and elbow, high flow cats, spark plugs and wires, bosch waterpump, opti, coil, icm, granatelli fuel pump, and fuel pressure regulator. Thanks for all the help everyone, this forum is showing to be very helpful already.

Quick Reply: cranks over but wont fire up