Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sponser shops work causes engine to over heat. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sponser shops work causes engine to over heat. What should I do?

As the title says I lost the rings in my engine because of a mistake a sponser here has done. The only problem is the work was done almost 3 years ago but just caused the problem now. What should I do? Here is what happened. When the shop put my engine back in the car they swapped around 2 of the cooling lines. They put the TB bypass where the overflow goes and the overflow where the TB bypass goes. The reason I never had an issue before was because normally when I go WOT I shut the car down almost right after (normally at the track). I don't normally drive the car on the street. Well I decided to drive the car to work one day and on the way I went WOT. Well because the hoses where swapped and I didn't shut the engine down right after the cooling system vapor locked causing the engine to overheat. My check engine light stays on all the time now because I have a th350 in the car. I didn't name the shop because I am not trying to get something for nothing. My question is should I even say anything to the shop regarding the matter? I mean it has been 3 years now. Should I just keep my mouth shut and build a new engine? Thanks
Old 12-26-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Id say most likely 3 years down the road from having the work performed. youre gonna be hard up to prove it was them that caused the damage
Old 12-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Launching!

I didn't realize that if the over flow and steam tube hoses were switched on the radiator it would cause that to happen.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1badbird
Id say most likely 3 years down the road from having the work performed. youre gonna be hard up to prove it was them that caused the damage
Thats what I was thinking to.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmoked1
I didn't realize that if the over flow and steam tube hoses were switched on the radiator it would cause that to happen.
Sure can. The cooling system under normal operation works under a pressurized system. If the bypass line is hooked up above the cap and causes the system not to run under pressure then the water will start to boil and vaporize causing the system to vapor lock.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Better just start a rebuild.. fat chance u are going to get anything from a sponsor that did work 3 years ago
Old 12-26-2010, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go back, tell them the situation, and see if they are willing to give you a player price on a new rebuild! GL
Old 12-26-2010, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

sucks, and mistakes do happen.
but i really doubt any shop would help out with it being so long after
Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
sucks, and mistakes do happen.
but i really doubt any shop would help out with it being so long after
Yea, thats what I was thinking but it didn't hurt to get 2nd opinions.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by johnzss
Go back, tell them the situation, and see if they are willing to give you a player price on a new rebuild! GL

Ima try that, thanks bro..
Old 12-27-2010, 02:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go back to the shop and let them know, some shops will really try there best to help out paying customers
Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

True but in 3 years "anyone could switch those lines"
Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Depending on when you noticed the lines were switched why didn't you correct it or have it corrected immediately? Either way I would still let the shop know to see what happens.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Launching!

i would think that this should have been noticed before 3 years. If the hoses were indeed switched, it should have been filling up the coolant overflow bottle excessively to the point where it would be overflowing. Also, you must have ran it pretty long to overheat it excessively enough damage parts. does it not have a functional water temp gauge? I saw you posted about the CEL but nothing about paying attention to any other gauges.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Depending on when you noticed the lines were switched why didn't you correct it or have it corrected immediately? Either way I would still let the shop know to see what happens.
Whats up Detoxx? It's been a long time.. I wasn't the one that noticed the lines where switched. I took it over to a buddy of mines shop after it happened and he noticed it.. I can go WOT and you won't notice anything at all untill I lift the throttle then she starts to smoke like a ****..
Old 12-27-2010, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastassls1maro
i would think that this should have been noticed before 3 years. If the hoses were indeed switched, it should have been filling up the coolant overflow bottle excessively to the point where it would be overflowing. Also, you must have ran it pretty long to overheat it excessively enough damage parts. does it not have a functional water temp gauge? I saw you posted about the CEL but nothing about paying attention to any other gauges.

Please explain how it would have filled up the overflow evertime I drove the car. I don't really drive the car on the street to much but it is a street car. I have put less than 10,000 miles on the car since I've had it (4years now). Most of the driving was down the track so the car really didn't have timne to overheat.. On the day it over heat I drove the car another 15-20miles after I went WOT. Yes the temp gauge does work on the car but I don't drive with my eyes on the temp gauge. By the time I noticed it was hot it was to late. Look man, I wasn't asking for your criticism just your opinion on which way I should go.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You're gonna have a hard/impossible time trying to hold a shop accountable for something they built 3 years ago.

Like others have said, instead of posting on LS1tech asking people who didn't work on your car, why don't you call the shop and explain the situation? They're probably not going to offer anything for free (and you shouldn't expect them to 3 years later) but maybe they'll be willing to work out a good price on a rebuild or possibly a break on the labor.

Get off the internet. The solution to your problem isn't here. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
You're gonna have a hard/impossible time trying to hold a shop accountable for something they built 3 years ago.

Like others have said, instead of posting on LS1tech asking people who didn't work on your car, why don't you call the shop and explain the situation? They're probably not going to offer anything for free (and you shouldn't expect them to 3 years later) but maybe they'll be willing to work out a good price on a rebuild or possibly a break on the labor.

Get off the internet. The solution to your problem isn't here. Good luck.
Well this is why I decided to post this add man. To help me decide if I should even go to the shop and say anything at all because it has been 3 years.. Again guys this thread wasn't aimed to bash anyone or any shop. I am not trying to get something for nothing just trying to get peoples opinions on if I should even contact the shop regarding the issue. Thanks again guys..
Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by odarabla
Whats up Detoxx? It's been a long time.. I wasn't the one that noticed the lines where switched. I took it over to a buddy of mines shop after it happened and he noticed it.. I can go WOT and you won't notice anything at all untill I lift the throttle then she starts to smoke like a ****..
Nothing much man. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Nothing much man. I hope everything works out for you.
I just have to order the rest of the rotating assembly for the LS2 402ci.. Im going to let Allen do the tuning again and probably spec the cam.. My old stock bottom end LS1 went 10.90@123mph.. Hoping for low 10's on the new motor..