Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking motor mount off. I need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 11:35 AM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Taking motor mount off. I need help!!!!

I am in the process of changing my motor mount and I using the instructions that I got off of here. I have the alt. off and the motor mount bolt out and the steering linkage off. How do I get to the bolts that hold the mount bolted to the k-member off? I can't get to the ones that are on the bottom.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

i didn't even bother taking the mount off of the k-member. if you have longtubes i don't think it's possible to get to the bolts with them on. if you unbolt the mount from the block you can wiggle the clamshell by itself out and then change the bushing in it. then, wrestle it back into place and bolt it all back up. the bolts on the block are not that easy to get to either. my headers were really in the way. i had to use some interesting combinations of extensions and swivels to get to some of the bolts. good luck. i know it's a PITA!
Old 02-08-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think you are supposed to pull it off the k-member, just remove the clamshell from the bracket.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Do you have headers? I was able to get my pedestal bracket off with my Grotts on, but it did take some creativity. You might try approaching the bolts from the other side of the K-member if you haven't already tried that. Its been a while now since I've done mine, but it seems like I had better luck on the driver's side getting at the bolts from behind the K-member. I think I was able to get three of the four that way...
Old 02-08-2004, 06:53 PM
STF Veteran

I just got done switching the drivers side motor mount. 10 HOURS! The passengers side motor mount will rot before I put it on. I would have gladly paid someone 200 to 300 dollars to not have to go through that again. As far as the k-member bracket coming off. I might have miss read the instructions but I thought it said they both had to come off. Either way it is done and I will never do another motor mount on a LS1 again. My hands look like I stuck them in a tank full of piranaha's.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yikes, we pulled the k-member out, with motor and tranny still attached in 3 1/2 hours...10 hours for one side is painful. Sometimes you just look back and say...awe ****.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
I just got done switching the drivers side motor mount. 10 HOURS! The passengers side motor mount will rot before I put it on. I would have gladly paid someone 200 to 300 dollars to not have to go through that again. As far as the k-member bracket coming off. I might have miss read the instructions but I thought it said they both had to come off. Either way it is done and I will never do another motor mount on a LS1 again. My hands look like I stuck them in a tank full of piranaha's.
i feel ya. i just sold my other poly motor mount instead of putting on the passenger side mount. there is no way in hell i'm ever doing that job again.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:21 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by KGSloan
i feel ya. i just sold my other poly motor mount instead of putting on the passenger side mount. there is no way in hell i'm ever doing that job again.
I just did the same thing and I feel the same way!
I traded my other mount for Borla exhaust plates.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

I did mine when I was installing my headers. Sure makes it a whole lot easier with the headers off. Removing the headers might be the best way to remove the mount. Don't have to remove the alternator either with the headers off. Once you have the entire assembly off, bolt up the mount to the engine first then the cast bracket to the mount. The bolt then goes in from back.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:34 PM
STF Veteran

Yeah the headers being off would have helped a lot. I almost took the drivers side header off.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

If it makes you guys feel any better, I found the difference between one poly mount (driver's side only) and both poly mounts to be minimal. I think you'll get a good percentage of the benefit by doing just the driver's side.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:30 PM
STF Veteran

I guess that is lucky for me!