Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New stereo sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New stereo sound

I finally got my new stereo and was able to put it in last night with no issues, however it seems tonsound worse than stock. I have the 10 speakers, and it used to have much more bass, now it seems to sounder clearer but have less bass to it.

Any ideas?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, what kind of unit?? It helps to know so we can check the settings or know what setting are even available. Have you made adjustment to the EQ yet? If not then all your settings are flat so no bass or very little. Is there a "loud" function on the unit. Using that setting will also add depth and a certain amount of bass as well.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for the vagueness.

The head unit is a Sony MEX-BT3800U. It's a great unit with a lot of awesome features, however it's sounding like crap right now. It does have a build in equalizer, however I have no ideas how to set up all different equalizer things to get good sound. It sounds pretty flat and crappy.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I am not 100% familiar with that unit but like said already you need to adjust the EQ to your liking. You probably access it by pushing down or holding down the volume ****. From there just play around with them until it is to your liking.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned

Generally I like to set the EQ in a kind of V or more a check mark maybe depending on how well the system can handle bass . Your radios EQ only has 3 adjustments for the user settings. Meaning that you set the settings yourself vs. using the preset settings the unit has pre-programmed into it. When I say a V, I mean setting the bass high, the mid in the middle, and the high frequency also set high. This setting generally gives good depth. To tweak it you then lower the bass setting till it still hits but doesn't distort at high volume. Mids should be adjusted till you like the amount of vocals coming through. The highs can be set high as well but you don't want it to sound shrill...more crisp.
These settings should be done using a music file you know well and a professional recording of it. Not a downloaded MP3 of poor quality like 128bit. If you use an MP3 it should be at least 192 and optimally 320 or VBR. I had a customer tell me that his ES series CDT speakers were distorting. These are competition level, high end speakers. Turned out he was playing alot of obscure, downloaded music from various sources with very poor sound recording. So even when the bit rate was decent, the recording itself was horrible right from the studio so there was nothing that was going to help make that particular file sound good. It was also making the tweeters sound horrible.
My point is that a sound file can also be just as responsible for a poor sounding system as the system itself. All variables must be taken into account.
Hope this helps get you going!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds a bit better, however I think it's taunting me to put in some better speakers.

Any recommendations? I'm trying to not spend a fortune on this car, but it looks like it's happening...
Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sempire
sounds a bit better, however I think it's taunting me to put in some better speakers.

Any recommendations? I'm trying to not spend a fortune on this car, but it looks like it's happening...
Kee Audio (the guy posting in this thread, believe his name is Ian) sells f-body replacement speakers for a pretty good price, may want to look into them and see what he recommends. I wish I would've done so instead of testing out different speakers and not have wasted all that money, but next time around I'll likely talk to him about a setup.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

With Sony it is Best to make sure the Xplod option is turned on. My sony Thumps with my infinity door speakers and ED rears.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Banned

I did the same thing with my Trans Am. It was a rolling sound experiment for about a year. That's why I came up with the packages when I finally figured out what worked and what didn't. I also was constantly searching for stuff that was compatible with the stock system. That's how I found the Bazooka DVC subs would work in this application. They were replacement subs for the tubes carried by one of my distributors. After testing them I found they worked well in this application and started carrying them. I have done alot of research and testing in my own car to make sure everything worked like it was supposed to.
The Xplod option is Sony's version of the "loud" button used on other radios. It should be turned on as stated above to get full sound. I have a Sony in my DD. It came with the vehicle and was brand new so I left it in there...for now. It does ok and has a USB input so I haven't done anything with it. I will be changing it out in the future for a unit that has red illumination to my my gauge cluster. Unfortunately this particular unit only does blue and green.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

You shouldn't have the 'loud' option enabled when running subs though, correct?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

on my Pioneer I turned off the loud option and it greatly improved my overall sound. I just turn the sub up a little more for added bass. YMMV
Old 01-06-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In my Sony HD radio there is no loud option but in my Sony in my Civic I have the Loud Option in the off position DSO set at 3 and Xplod on. They both sound really good my honda has JL Audio speakers and they do sound a little tinny, I had to put an 8" Woofer in the trunk to get the base up.