General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low voltage issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low voltage issue

Car is the 96 in my sig. Everytime i hit the brakes the dash lights will dim. Same thing when I turn on my heater/defroster, rear defroster, or fog lights. Anytime I do something to add current they dim/flicker. I bought a heavy duty 145 amp alternator, added a 4 guage wire from the battery to the alternator, same ****. Even read the same 13.2 - 13.5 volts running after I installed the high amp alternator when I scanned my car.

I guess I have a bad ground somewhere maybe, I dont know. Any ideas? Still seems weird that according to the pcm the new heavy duty alternator puts out the same volts as a stocker..

Last edited by Kevin01Z28; 01-02-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Ill be watching this thread too because my lights flicker all the time it a consistent pattern too.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by drago1217
Ill be watching this thread too because my lights flicker all the time it a consistent pattern too.
Well most automatically blame the alternator, which I replaced with brand new heavy duty unit. I added a ground strap thinking that may be the problem since I never replaced it after the wreck, didn't help. I really cant think of anything else it could be....
Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think there're like, 4 grounds to deal with just off of the engine and its systems-someone correct me if I'm wrong. Don't forget the PCM has one too, I think. I would say that one of those has to be the issue...
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the condition of the exciter wire to the alternator (small wire). It gets kinked or bent, or the connector damaged. If everything else is okay, and this wire is damaged, it will cause low charging problems. That's what the problem was with my friend's car. Sometimes it is not apparent too...look really closely.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grimes
Check the condition of the exciter wire to the alternator (small wire). It gets kinked or bent, or the connector damaged. If everything else is okay, and this wire is damaged, it will cause low charging problems. That's what the problem was with my friend's car. Sometimes it is not apparent too...look really closely.
Yup, I ripped that **** off when I replaced the alternator for the first time. I was like WTF is this small wire...
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Yea the exciter wire is small POS. Im still kinda stumped as to why the pcm showed the exact same reading with both alternators on my scanner... I would think that a 145 amp alt w/smaller pulley would put out more juice than the 102 amp stocker. Im gonna check the grounds and the exciter wire, but anyone think there may be a computer issue?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Does this happen even when the car is standing still? If so, can you take out the brake light fuse (in a safe place) and then give it a try? This should isolate that electrical circuit.

Weird that this only happens when you press the brake. Does the engine bog at all?

BTW - All alternators will put out the same voltage. The difference between your alternator and the stock is amperage. They are different things and the car's PCM can't measure amps.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
Weird that this only happens when you press the brake. Does the engine bog at all?
Not just the brakes, the fog lights, rear defroster, and sometimes just turning on the heater will make them dim. Engine never bogs. Added to two ground straps.

Originally Posted by wssix99
BTW - All alternators will put out the same voltage. The difference between your alternator and the stock is amperage. They are different things and the car's PCM can't measure amps.
I probably need to check the volts with a meter since i'm pretty sure my pcm is showing the wrong volts. The pcm only measures volts, but this same alternator on my silverado showed 14.4 volts at idle, again on the scanner not with a meter.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Where are the other grounds besides the engine block on right side and PCM next to the starter?...
Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Teching In

I had assumed it was my alternator as well. After ordering one, I looked at the exciter, and saw that it was pretty beat up, but repairable. However, my connector is shot. Anyone know a part number or replacement for it? In the meantime, I'm splicing a new wire to the exciter, and prepping for a new connector. This has been such a hassle

Quick Reply: Low voltage issue