Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Knock/banging noise I can feel in shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock/banging noise I can feel in shifter

Its a very sharp thud/clang/ping that only occurs while in gear and accelerating. The bang is repetitive and becomes faster when in higher gears or accelerating. I can feel the ping in the shifter and vaguely through the passenger side of the center console. Any similar experiences or idea of what to check before finally assuming its inside the transmission would be greatly appreciated. I also had a new stage 2 clutch put in 3 months ago, it has about 600 miles on it if that could somehow be involved.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This sounds like there is a oiece of debris wedged in the gear mesh at the input gear. This would transmit a thump -type noise that picks up with speed. It may be a little quieter in 4th.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:04 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Its probably a broken transmission mount or torque arm mount. Take a look underneath the car and inspect the rubber mounts. You'll have to push up on the tranny to see if its separated from the mount.
I highly doubt the problem is inside the tranny...
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Noise due to broken mounts do not increas with speed. I still stick with my debris-in -the-mesh theory.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Teching In

same thing is happening to me. Just happened 15 minutes ago. Third gear has been a little rough to put into but that just might be the cold. I will check the mounts. Really cant afford a new tranny
Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Well a load has been lifted for me. Finally got under there and seen a clear problem and easy fix. The bolt for the torque arm mount was missing. Dont know how it\ couldnt feel it until it was fully out. Browsed my bolt collection found one. Buttoned it up and im rollin again. Id check that mount and the tranny mount because the noise you are talking about sounded almost exactly like mine.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

This just happened to me also, I hope its a easy fix also, I started to get worried because I would mash the gas on neutral and could hear the clunk sound anyway...dont mean to hi jack thread but besides this sound I been having trouble trying to get reverse in, when I get it in and get out of reverse again it almost feels like it pops out...Jason from TDP build it about a year ago and the car has not even been to the track, any Ideas?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by solo21
This just happened to me also, I hope its a easy fix also, I started to get worried because I would mash the gas on neutral and could hear the clunk sound anyway...dont mean to hi jack thread but besides this sound I been having trouble trying to get reverse in, when I get it in and get out of reverse again it almost feels like it pops out...Jason from TDP build it about a year ago and the car has not even been to the track, any Ideas?
I am having the same exact thing with my 97, only when it first happened i changed out the clutch and flywheel. Did not fix it. So I changed out the slave/master with a prebled unit. Did not fix the problem, 9 out of 10 times I cannot get into reverse. It almost feels like it is popping out and then it grinds on the gears. Any suggestions would be great.

Quick Reply: Knock/banging noise I can feel in shifter