Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Comp mode vs turning off TCS

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Comp mode vs turning off TCS

What's the difference between putting the car in comp mode or just turning the tcs off. Either way the active handleing system is still on.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stability control is still on full force with just tcs off, comp mode stability is 'numbed'...
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nikon
stability control is still on full force with just tcs off, comp mode stability is 'numbed'...
Is there a reason you would want the stability control numbed/minimized? Does the stability contol rob hp or something?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

It does not rob hp but it does cut power, apply braking etc.. if it feels you are too "out of control". You would be amazed how far it will let you hang the car out in competitive mode though. I drive with stability and tcs on at all times. You never know when you will need them unexpectedly. It is not hard to turn them off when needed.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by big reg
It does not rob hp but it does cut power, apply braking etc.. if it feels you are too "out of control". You would be amazed how far it will let you hang the car out in competitive mode though. I drive with stability and tcs on at all times. You never know when you will need them unexpectedly. It is not hard to turn them off when needed.
When I would run the car hard and shift from 2nd to 3rd the stability control light would come on on the navi system. I honestly didn't know about the comp mode till about 10 minutes ago lol. So I'm wondering if the stability mode coming on slowed me down some?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Launching!

is it possible to still get into competitive mode without the navi screen saying so? My radio is not programmed for being in a V so it just shows tcs off or full stability off. If i push the button twice nothing comes up but is the car still in comp mode?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriGuy
is it possible to still get into competitive mode without the navi screen saying so? My radio is not programmed for being in a V so it just shows tcs off or full stability off. If i push the button twice nothing comes up but is the car still in comp mode?
I'm only pushing my button once to turn off the TCS. I know for a fact I wasn't in comp mode. When I would speed shift the a stability control system light would pop up on my navi ("stability control system active"). I'm curious if the stability control system was slowing me down at this point?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriGuy
I would imagine it's active. Does your navi system show when tcs system is on or off?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your car will not go into comp mode without the radio programmer properly. Also, comp mode will let you get about 30 deg sideways. I always roll with everything off unless I get caught in the rain. I only ode comp mode on the track.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Just a speed shift from 2nd to 3rd should not activate stab. control. I can see TC trying to do it's job but you said it was off. There may be a sensor that is slightly off.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Has anyone found a way to shut everything 100% off? Several times when drag racing I hold the trac button on the steering wheel for the 10 seconds till it comes up on the nav that everything is off. Then on the launch, it still cuts power. Pretty annoying.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Raven - Hitting 2nd pretty hard can make the car go a little sideways and kick on the stability control.

Gulf - Your car is probably experiencing a torque reversal from a little bit of wheelhop and the 'Powerhop Protection' is pulling timing and fuel. GM added that to try and stop the diffs from exploding and you can only turn it off through the tune.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V

Gulf - Your car is probably experiencing a torque reversal from a little bit of wheelhop and the 'Powerhop Protection' is pulling timing and fuel. GM added that to try and stop the diffs from exploding and you can only turn it off through the tune.
I thought GM might have put something into the computer, how is torque reversal sensed by the computer?

My car has been tuned and as far as I know all the GM safety nannies have been removed. I need to see if my tuner is familiar with "powerhop protection"...
Old 01-04-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
Your car will not go into comp mode without the radio programmer properly. Also, comp mode will let you get about 30 deg sideways. I always roll with everything off unless I get caught in the rain. I only ode comp mode on the track.
My car won't show comp mode either and it's all stock?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

comp mode makes a big difference at a track/autocross, factory stability control can really cut down on lap times when full on, it keeps you going where you want quite well, but kicks in some of those time where you want the back end to come around just a hair.

Comp mode it about perfect, it only cuts in when you are getting fairly sideways. While i have not messed around with if full off yet (give me a month) the only times it engaged were times i was far enough sideways that i had already lost time because i got too sideways.

On the street, you really shouldn't be driving to the point where you would notice the benefit of comp mode.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
On the street, you really shouldn't be driving to the point where you would notice the benefit of comp mode.
lol......right
Old 01-04-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

To me the competitive mode is still too restrictive. Mine kicks is very often in CM, and I don't even think I'm sliding much. Still, I don't usually turn it all the way off.

The car will occasionally make a violent sideways movement when I speedshift 2-3, and I'm not sure if I would lose it without stability control. I wish it would start in CM, and that CM would free it up a little more than it does.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i almost always drive around in Comp Mod. Even in rain, i drive with TC off for around town. the only time i dont is when I am just cruising the Freeway for long distanaces, and then I have everything one.

i just like the way the car drives in Comp Mode or with TC off.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm usually just cruising with TC off but I use CM pretty often. Like Cole said, only time i don't touch it is when i'm going a distance.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:34 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Originally Posted by GulfM3
I thought GM might have put something into the computer, how is torque reversal sensed by the computer?

My car has been tuned and as far as I know all the GM safety nannies have been removed. I need to see if my tuner is familiar with "powerhop protection"...
The PCM computes a calculated torque value. I think it uses an algorithm with that number. Or it just uses sudden spikes and drops in rear wheel speed. Other way, there is a control in the program to turn it off and/or change the method of protection.

Quick Reply: Comp mode vs turning off TCS