Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Picked up an engine from jy, Now I have to figure out if I got a good deal on it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Picked up an engine from jy, Now I have to figure out if I got a good deal on it.

I picked up this engine from a junk yard sight unseen, I know I should have gone out to look at it but it was 100 miles away. Its a 2008 ly6 out of an express van 3500 with 8100 documented miles. They had free delivery so for the $1500 i figured what the heck it should be good. It was missing the starter alternator and a/c compressor but I got the yard to include those. They still have the yards tag on them showing it came off the same vehicle as the engine. Once I recieved the engine I saw that it was pretty clean which it should have been but upon further inspection I found that 3 coil packed were busted. 2 had a piece missing from where the spark plug wire goes into and the third was missing that piece where the spark plug went into entirely. Also figured out why they removed only certain accessories to sell. The powersteering and fan/waterpump pulley shafts are bent giving them a pretty decent wobble when I spun them. Now my concern is the crank. The crank pulley doesnt have any unusual marks on it and it looks to be parallel with the front of the block in a side view but I have to pull the plugs and spin the motor over to be sure. Drained whatever oil was left in the pan and there wasnt any water in it. spun engine by hand and it spun freely, as much as it can be with the plugs still in it. Removed motor mounts and the mount bolt holes in the block look fine, Couldnt find any cracks anywhere else except for the intake manifold had a nipple broken off. I wasnt going to reuse the accessories or intake anyways since I have the vette parts but Ill need new coils. Just kinda bummed about the accessories being bent making me conerned about the crank. Ill get some more detailed pics later to show the bent accesories.
Thanks

Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 01-06-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Lots of **** is missing/broken. I'd get my money back. Intake manifold is junk, missing the evap solenoid, front accy's bent meaning it was in a front collision or rollover, coils broken, etc. You're going to have a few hundred in it to get it back to where it should be if you want a direct drop in. I'd just return it if you could. You're in LS2 territory for price by the time you get that thing back to like new.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know it will need some money put into it now that Ive got it but the next cheapest ly6 around me was 700 bucks more ($2200) had 23k on it and was 250 miles away. These engines are still scarce around here especially one with 8k on it like this one. It was in a roll over and was planning on checking out the bottom end when I switch to the vette oilpan. Since this is going in my sonoma I am replacing the intake manifold and accessories with the vette one. Ill have to replace a few coils for sure but I was planning on selling the accessories and brakets along with the truck manifold which wont happen now so thats an annoyance. Going to strip it down this weekend and see if I can find any more defects.

Where did the evap go on this manifold? What went to that place on the very top that was broken off.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

The evap solenoid on the truck intake is mounted on the drivers side fuel rail (that metal tab that hangs out) The part that's broken on top of your intake on the front is where the PCV hose presses onto.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well got some good news, Called up the yard this morning to see if they could do anything. They said normally people buy the engines to replace existing ones so that already have all the stuff but since mines a project I need them all. So they tracked down the powersteering pump, water pump, 4 coils, and intake manifold and shipped them out! I was completely expecting them to blow me off saying that they sold me the engine and all that other stuff was just an add on or bonus but they understood and didnt make a fuss. Now just have to pull the heads and oil pan and check things out. Pulled the valve covers last night and it was reallly clean and everything was still straight and tight.

Oh and hirdlej I looked into the evap with the s10 swap forum since Ive never seen the evap hanging off the side of their motors in the swaps so I figured gm did away with it or something like the egr, But it turns out most people just delete it in their swaps which is fine with me.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Not a bad deal at all IMO those things make great power. Heres a thread worth reading for you

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...d-formula.html
Old 01-07-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep that yard on speed dial. Remember who you spoke too because it is hard as hell to find that kind of customer service these days!!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cleaned up the engine a bit

Whats the bracket bolted to the front passenger head for?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

That motor looked awfully tarneshed for only 8,100 miles. The bright side is. it cleaned up GREAT. I'd be crossing my fingers on the crank though. Did you ask if they had the engine running since the accident?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Some of you guys sure do expect alot from an engine out of a wrecked vehicle and a junkyard. "I got this really powerful V8 with aluminum heads, super low miles, and for $1500, but it isnt like new, did I get ripped off?"
Old 01-17-2011, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Looks like a good deal to me. I was going to suggest that you check the valve cover bolts as they get bent when the coils take a lick, but it sounds like you already covered that.

What headers are those? They look like they will be a bit snug in an s-series!
Old 01-17-2011, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tiresmokinV8
Whats the bracket bolted to the front passenger head for?
Not sure as I've never worked on a van, but my guess is to support the radiator hose or something similar. It's definitely not required for your swap.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
Looks like a good deal to me. I was going to suggest that you check the valve cover bolts as they get bent when the coils take a lick, but it sounds like you already covered that.

What headers are those? They look like they will be a bit snug in an s-series!
The headers were off a fellow s-series truck from the s10 forum Im a part of. They were custom built on his truck so hopefully they fit, Im using the mounts he used to.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
Not sure as I've never worked on a van, but my guess is to support the radiator hose or something similar. It's definitely not required for your swap.
Good to know,
Old 01-17-2011, 04:25 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I know it's off topic, but I like the heater in your garage, any details?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

disregard... still learning
Old 01-18-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I know it's off topic, but I like the heater in your garage, any details?
Thanks, It was there when I bought the house so I dont know much. I know that its a Comfort Glow 30k btu natural gas wall heater. It has a remote thermostat and a blower. It heats the 24x24 garage pretty well. Theres plenty of other companys that make them. Check out northern tool

Quick Reply: Picked up an engine from jy, Now I have to figure out if I got a good deal on it.