LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Inquired GM Regarding Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:21 PM
RKO
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inquired GM Regarding Transmission

I wondered if anyone had ever inquired with GM regarding the 4T65E-HD mated to the LS4. First I must say I was very surprised at one getting a return phone call and two the willingness (so far) for the willingness to help. I just have too hard of a time believing the transmission is really rated for 280 lb/ft when the motor is clearly advertised as 323 lb/ft.

I went ahead and made a few inquiries and although I do not have all the answers yet, I was told something very interesting. I asked these questions specifically for the 4T65E-HD mated to the LS4 for years 2006 to the last one built (sorry 2005, forgot the LS4 started then).

First question was about the max torque input the transmission is rated for. I specifically mentioned how the LS4 is rated at 323 lb/ft and the only readily available data says the 4t65E-HD is rated at 280 lb/ft.

Second I asked about getting more information regarding the changes made to the internals from 2005 and what makes the LS4 version stronger than the L67/L36 version.

The final question I asked was if there was data available for failure rates and warranty claims. I thought the answer to this was interesting, thus why I started this thread without all the questions answered as of yet. The answer I received was they do have this data (and I wasn't surprised) however it cannot be released to the public. I was then given a reason why they cannot release the data: and I quote "We cannot give this data out at this time because the National Highway and Traffic Safety Association are currently investigating a possible recall for failure".

Now I don't want to get any ones hopes up. Who knows, could be a whole lot of nothing. I'll let you know more as I find out, I just thought that reason was interesting.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

neat, a recall would b nice for sure
Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RKO
I wondered if anyone had ever inquired with GM regarding the 4T65E-HD mated to the LS4. First I must say I was very surprised at one getting a return phone call and two the willingness (so far) for the willingness to help. I just have too hard of a time believing the transmission is really rated for 280 lb/ft when the motor is clearly advertised as 323 lb/ft.

I went ahead and made a few inquiries and although I do not have all the answers yet, I was told something very interesting. I asked these questions specifically for the 4T65E-HD mated to the LS4 for years 2006 to the last one built (sorry 2005, forgot the LS4 started then).

First question was about the max torque input the transmission is rated for. I specifically mentioned how the LS4 is rated at 323 lb/ft and the only readily available data says the 4t65E-HD is rated at 280 lb/ft.

Second I asked about getting more information regarding the changes made to the internals from 2005 and what makes the LS4 version stronger than the L67/L36 version.

The final question I asked was if there was data available for failure rates and warranty claims. I thought the answer to this was interesting, thus why I started this thread without all the questions answered as of yet. The answer I received was they do have this data (and I wasn't surprised) however it cannot be released to the public. I was then given a reason why they cannot release the data: and I quote "We cannot give this data out at this time because the National Highway and Traffic Safety Association are currently investigating a possible recall for failure".

Now I don't want to get any ones hopes up. Who knows, could be a whole lot of nothing. I'll let you know more as I find out, I just thought that reason was interesting.
Wow! Great job, RKO. This is potentially big news.

It does, of course, bring up a lot of questions, too.

If this is being investigated for a possible recall, it's possible that GM may already have a fix. In this case, I would not be surprised if that involved a revised converter relief valve, among other things.

Still, how would they handle it? Replace a few parts? Replace the trans with a revised unit? What about those of us who've already spent money outside of warranty for repairs? I know that GM would reimburse owners who spent money out-of-pocket money prior to a recall being issued AFTER it was announced, but this is not just a $400 power steering replacement, either.

Still, I won't hold my breath, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Again, thanks for getting active in this, RKO.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, this is GREAT news! But like the rest of you guys, I'll hope for the best, prepare for the worst.. In all reality, it still wouldn't come close to the costs of the Toyota recalls, since LS4's weren't that plentiful.. And it would just be another bad rep for the "Old" GM.. So "New" GM, I think, won't suffer too much of a hit in customers.. But the media would probably blow the **** out of this..
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

SWWEEEEEEEETTTTTTT

Lets all hope and pray this works out................ Mine is still chugging along, every once in a while it does funky **** but it still motovates me!!

Funny thing it did yesterday... it tried to shift into OD and just stayed in third it just "shifted" in and out of third gear!!! about 100 ft down the road it finally shifted into OD.... I thought wow that was weird
Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MC06SS
SWWEEEEEEEETTTTTTT

Lets all hope and pray this works out................ Mine is still chugging along, every once in a while it does funky **** but it still motovates me!!

Funny thing it did yesterday... it tried to shift into OD and just stayed in third it just "shifted" in and out of third gear!!! about 100 ft down the road it finally shifted into OD.... I thought wow that was weird
Should I add you to the "having issues, but still have original trans" list in the other thread?
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tag me on the list why ur at it
Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

hmmm...if they do decide to do something about it, maybe I will pick a GXP up
Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Cool, definitely keep us posted. Im just waiting for mine to start acting up, it's been shifting lazily here lately, but still holding on.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Tag me on the list why ur at it
Which list? Already got a new trans or stock one on the way out?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Keeping my fingers crossed for a recall. Might just have to hold off on the gear and valve body in case GM decides to fix their little snafu.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i need a new one, it will slip and catch off the line and stutters shifting in to gears i talked to dave at tep and i cant remeber exactly what he said but it has something to do with a bad valve seal that sticks

that would be sweet if they put out a recall, we have to be among the highest transmission failure rate of any cars with the grand prix so lets just home get dont just tell us
Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Quote:
Should I add you to the "having issues, but still have original trans" list in the other thread? (Yes I am ignorant and don't know how to copy the quote)

LS1 Racing: I already am on the list......
Old 01-06-2011, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

A recall would be great. Mine is really starting to go out at 31k miles, shuddering between first and second gear and I think the torque converter is going out, I see a bit of fluctuation of RPM at a steady speed.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MC06SS
Quote:
Should I add you to the "having issues, but still have original trans" list in the other thread? (Yes I am ignorant and don't know how to copy the quote)

LS1 Racing: I already am on the list......
Yes, I noticed that after checking! Thank you!

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
i need a new one, it will slip and catch off the line and stutters shifting in to gears i talked to dave at tep and i cant remeber exactly what he said but it has something to do with a bad valve seal that sticks

that would be sweet if they put out a recall, we have to be among the highest transmission failure rate of any cars with the grand prix so lets just home get dont just tell us
Added you to the list thread.

Originally Posted by havelegs
A recall would be great. Mine is really starting to go out at 31k miles, shuddering between first and second gear and I think the torque converter is going out, I see a bit of fluctuation of RPM at a steady speed.
Added you, too!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Keeping my fingers crossed for a recall. Might just have to hold off on the gear and valve body in case GM decides to fix their little snafu.
Since my trans is still in surgery, I don't have the option of waiting. If there is a recall, GM will get the bill for my repair/upgrade.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 AM
On The Tree

Mine is starting to act up. still goes for now on 56,000 miles
Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 AM
RKO
Staging Lane

Got a call last night to let me know they do not have any new information for me. I was told they still have people who have not responded internally and I will get another call Monday.

I found on wikipedia, reading about the VTi transmission used in Saturns from 2002 to 2004 that they were given an extended warranty of 5 year 75k miles due to high failure rates. Sounds pretty crappy to me since pretty much all of our cars have a 5 year 100k. I have serious doubts a recall will be made. The best case scenario I could imagine is extending the 5 years to 7-10 and keeping the 100k. Personally I see nothing happening given the junk 5 year 75k warranty only given for the Saturn problem.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

the warranty give to saturn is pretty good considering that in that year the power train was probably only 3yr/36000mil. 07 up got the 5yr/100000, and certified used. i would be ok if they extended it a couple years. im only at 48000, but my warranty is up march 2012.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

If they just extended the warranty I wouldn't really be interested in a trans that's not "fixed" and just going to leave me stranded again...

Quick Reply: Inquired GM Regarding Transmission