LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

SIMPLE: Can I put a cam in with DOD lifters and just turn DOD off and be fine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIMPLE: Can I put a cam in with DOD lifters and just turn DOD off and be fine?

Trying to keep this very straight forward...come on guys...help me out here....

No one knows anywhere LMAO...someone has to...

you guys know I dont ask many questions on here unless I have to LOL I type enough for all of us..
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Most DoD compatible cams have really conservative ramp speeds (if my memory and online reading serve me). You would be MUCH better off pulling the heads, having them milled to keep the DC up and offset any power loss there, and then replacing our terrible lifters with some good GM replacement LS2/7s.

I would suggest having a shop like VengeanceRD, Livernois, or EPS spec you out a cam for your setup. IMO, it's the only way to go.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

well i have dod turned off is what im saying....i dont use it anymore...so it is like a reg non dod car...the lifters dont load up now if i have it turned off....you see what im getting at...?

some others have said the DOD lifters like revs just under 7k...so as long as i dont go there which i dont have plans to...then i should be ok?....and im a rear mount so, comp cams makes a great mild type rear mount custom grind....
Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

GM rates them at 6500rpm I believe and they are known to fail (TSBs). I would just save up a little while longer and do it all at once, right, the first time. Also, I don't know exactly what your mod list is but an LS6 or FAST would probably be insane on a boosted car. Non-dod lifters would allow for an LS2 valley cover and you MIGHT could modify a FAST to fit.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Alabama Man: You say that GM rates them at 6500rpm's, are you referring to the DOD lifters? Does that mean that I should be very cautious of revving my engine quite high after my car gets back from repair?

Not trying to jack the thread, just a quick question.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your DOD lifters are anything like the ones in the G8's then I suggest taking the time and effort to just swap em all out for something stronger. This will allow you to rev higher more safely and also put a cam in there that will really allow you to take advantage of the turbo system. You can turn DOD off in the tune but that still won't make the DOD hardware become any stronger or take abuse any better.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hazards280
Alabama Man: You say that GM rates them at 6500rpm's, are you referring to the DOD lifters? Does that mean that I should be very cautious of revving my engine quite high after my car gets back from repair?

Not trying to jack the thread, just a quick question.
I wouldn't spin it past that. It might even be lower than 6500. I was told once but I forgot. I know my limiter was set at 6700 by a previous tuner and when I went to my current tuner he flipped out at how dangerous it was.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
GM rates them at 6500rpm I believe and they are known to fail (TSBs). I would just save up a little while longer and do it all at once, right, the first time. Also, I don't know exactly what your mod list is but an LS6 or FAST would probably be insane on a boosted car. Non-dod lifters would allow for an LS2 valley cover and you MIGHT could modify a FAST to fit.
Yeah i ditched the intake idea cause i spray and already had that prior to the turbo...so, instead of going through the headache of all the bs to doing a complete reman of the motor and removing just for the cam and lifters and convert the timing chain and cam sprocket for the 3 bolt and ditch the oil pump for an ls6 blue gasket pump....I just decided to say...well..if i want 75 more hp i just arm the switch and let the FJO n2o controller do the work on my wet shot....and then we added the E85 so now getting some more power which is basically next to meth running....so now can get some more boost and run some more timing...like around the 20* range....which is def. worth it...

so im just looking for more efficiency at this point....i get more power out of the shot more than any intake could do for me...baseline it would be good with just boost and even open it up that much more...but, im good with the spray...im trying to keep this mostly on factory internals and parts newayz outside the standards like plugs, tstat, injectors and elect. asst. etc....so ill prob just ditch the cam idea...i like to bounce things around a lot...just ask any of my other LSx buddies...LOL...we are all that way in INDY...idk about anyone else...our cars seem to change friggn daily...we cant keep one thing LOL...

Ive got the budget to do this crap just dont wanna pull her out and loose the OE feel as well ya know...? I dont wanna loose the whole mission of this...it was to show the power and threshold of our motors from the factory... lol so it takes little post and things like this to keep me in line and remember the mission LOL...TO SHOW THE WORLD WHAT THE HELL OUR LS4s ARE ALL ABOUT GUYS!!

but if it breaks ill fix it...LOL BETTER!

give me a reason then ya know? Im not a rich guy though by any means...most of you know what i do LOL..just no kids and a garage and a little bit of free time and some other peoples garages...so ya know..LOL

and as far as FAST goes...ive actually been on and off with them from last year on submitting a work up and idea for how to convert the intake for our cars and do a quick swap system from FAST...it would utilize the injector spacers for an already confirmed fitted LS6 intake and the lower gasket conversion for the LS6 intake for our injectors and would allow the LS7 fuel rails to fit on the top side cause we share the same LS3 and LS7/9 injector top injector gaskets...the LS4 rails are fat as it is...so might not have to trim...but, there again...may still have to trim alt bracket to get them in....but they have my number and when i know you guys will know...LOL So have def. been trying some things...

Truthfully...everyone that does FI on these cars really has more power than we know what to do with...we just want it that much better and faster LOL...Isnt that always the case for everyone here?? LOL

and my signature is too big to put on here..LOL i posted it somewhere a long time ago as a joke and it literally takes about a page LMAO...

This post sounds like im gloating...im not...I just answer very percisely! LOL cover all the questions

Last edited by Rossko85; 01-06-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldnt trust the DOD lifters. There are TSB out for them breaking on stock vehicles and Ive seen it first hand.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

so is that TSB servicable without breakage? wonder if my dealer would replace them with the new part number??
Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rossko85
so is that TSB servicable without breakage? wonder if my dealer would replace them with the new part number??
I haven't read the TSB but I doubt it. Unless it is a safety related item usually the manufacturer is more reactive than proactive when it comes to replacing parts.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought the DOD lifters were a different length?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brian396
I thought the DOD lifters were a different length?
They are, but they have more compliance too. When loaded, they are almost the same length as conventional lifters. The lobes on the deac cylinders are a bit larger to take up that compliance, but the same pushrod length and same spring pressure are used with all of the lifters in our engines. The intent is valve lift equivalence according to GMPP, when asked about the lifters in G8s.

For ultimate reliability with aftermarkets camshafts, you should go with aftermarket lifters meant for bumpy cams. I haven't had any issues yet, but I know that I am wearing out my motor faster than I would be if it were totally stock. I wouldn't recommend my combo to someone who wants to do it once and forget about it for 200k.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Did you really just create this topic Ross? Blink.. Blink...
The answer is yes, but its really not worth it man. Rip the heads off you cheap lazy bastard!
I'm thinking it would be wise to cam (Leave the LS4 pump in since your feeding the turbo)
and while the heads are off go get them freshend up a bit with matching springs and retainers. Replace the stock GM head bolts with ARP head studs. Stock head gaskets are plenty stong and cheap so I'd stick with them. New ones of course.
Parts list:
Cam
Timing chain (LS4 uses the LS2 chain) Cheap insurance
Balancer bolt
Front water pump cover to block gaskest
Head gaskets
Lifter buckets LS2
Lifters LS7 or better
Arp Head stud kit (Make sure you get the right version)
Pretty cheap list honestly. Maybe 1500.00 total with head work
Keep an eye out in the LSX F/S section for deals
I bought my LS7 lifters for 60.00 brand new. I have a whole other room full of good ideas (parts) I just need to commit.