Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 into a 2010 Silverado 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 into a 2010 Silverado 5.3

From what I have read, this should be very straightforward as the 5.3 shares the same architecture as an LS3, but I would like to confirm how straightforward this will be before I order anything.

I have a 2010 Silverado 1500, regular cab short bed with the 5.3 engine and 6speed auto transmission. Truck also has the tow package so it has the heavy duty radiator, oil cooler, transmission cooler, locking rear differential, etc. etc. The plan is to buy an LS3 crate engine from GMPP and drop it in, and just sell the original 5.3.

Here are my questions: If I use the ECU that comes with the crate motor, how will it interface with the factory components (door locks, etc. etc.)? Or, would the best route be to just load an LS3 tune into the factory 5.3 computer and call it a day (if that is even possible)?

My fabrication skills are lacking, but I can handle an engine swap if it's a plug and play affair. Tell me whatcha think.

Sorry for the ignorance, I'm very new to the LS platform.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Teching In

I'm new to the game too.. but wouldn't you be better off getting a custom cam, port the heads and getting your intake ported as well?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Press_Corpse
I'm new to the game too.. but wouldn't you be better off getting a custom cam, port the heads and getting your intake ported as well?
I agree....there is money to be saved here. If I wanted to do an engine swap like this, I'd buy a low-miles, complete junkyard LS3 or 6.2L truck engine; the LS3 crate engines are very expensive for what they are. The truck 6.2L is a very slightly detuned LS3 (403hp vs. 435hp) and it would be a brainless-ly easy swap into 1500 series truck, as it has truck exhaust manifolds and accessory brackets already installed.

It would be easier to use your existing wiring and PCM/ECU which should directly plug into either the LS3 or 6.2L, though you'd need a dyno tune when it was all said and done.

The crate wiring harnesses and ECUs seem to be very generic and geared toward emissions-exempt street rods and such, and would likely require a fair bit of wiring work to hook up, and I get the impression that they won't run the 6-speed auto trans found in new vehicles. The 6.2L trucks come factory with a 6-speed auto so you're golden if you were to use junkyard parts.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Launching!

^^^ I'm with him 100%.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Wouldn't this (lS3 or L92) just boult it? Both are 58 tooth relucter wheel. Bolt it, reflash your ECM via mail (say Speartech or TSP ) and see how close it is.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Teching In

A low mileage LS3 or 6.2 would be the ticket, but those are such hot items it would probably be tough to find one. Also, with the 6.2 I wouldn't get the aluminum block, right?

I thought about modding the stock 5.3, but I would like to have the extra cubes and aluminum block from the get go; that's why I was thinking about a new LS3.

Can you buy a new LS3 just as an engine alone, or do you have to get the whole E-rod package (the one that comes with ECU, Catalytic Converters, etc)? Sounds like the "E-rod" LS3 crate would just be a waste since I'm paying for things that come on the engine I won't even use.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:14 PM
13 Second Truck Club

l92s arent that hard to come check lkq they will shipto their site for not a whole lot of course if they have a site close enough to you
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eric8
A low mileage LS3 or 6.2 would be the ticket, but those are such hot items it would probably be tough to find one. Also, with the 6.2 I wouldn't get the aluminum block, right?

I thought about modding the stock 5.3, but I would like to have the extra cubes and aluminum block from the get go; that's why I was thinking about a new LS3.

Can you buy a new LS3 just as an engine alone, or do you have to get the whole E-rod package (the one that comes with ECU, Catalytic Converters, etc)? Sounds like the "E-rod" LS3 crate would just be a waste since I'm paying for things that come on the engine I won't even use.
The 6.2L L92 truck engine is all aluminum. The LS3 crate motor is available as an E-Rod for $8400 or the engine alone for $7600. A 6k miles L92 is $4800 from car-part.com

Edit: yea, sounds like the E-Rod would be a waste, since you have everthing else you'd need already
Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.racingjunk.com/search?sea...categoryId1=95

Link to a 6.2 crate here in Michigan. He wants 5K

Chuck

Quick Reply: LS3 into a 2010 Silverado 5.3