How long does it take them to re-test gas cap pressurization?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long does it take them to re-test gas cap pressurization?

I failed inspection because of that, hi-beam, and front parking/turn signal indicator.

Their repair quote included a price of $65 for the hi-beam. It was $12 at O'Reilly. Their gas cap quote was $36. I got one at Autozone for $10. Granted, it's the same one, and it may fail again next year... $12 each for the lights labor!

I asked the guy how long it would take to re-test the car if I bring it back having fixed those issues. He said 30-45 minutes. I asked why it would take that long just to re-test the gas cap. He said, blah blah blah.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Since when do they test for that during an inspection?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
They are doing their job.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
always? they always test mine
Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shouldn't take long for the gas cap test. They just need to attach your cap to the monitoring device and have it go through the test. Only takes a couple minutes.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Evap emission monitor take as long as they want. There is alot of specific criteria to be met. Such as fuel level above 1/4-3/4 tank iat and ect temps within 10 degrees of amb temp and drive time. If it doesn't run within 20 mins of drive time. The criteria wasn't met or you didn't get up to a steady speed or 45-60 mph with a Long steady cruise time. Or there's still a fault in the system and it will have to run 2-3 time before throwing a code which could take days or weeks to throw. Best to have a qualified tech inspect the evap system and see
Old 01-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shackleford
I failed inspection because of that, hi-beam, and front parking/turn signal indicator.

Their repair quote included a price of $65 for the hi-beam. It was $12 at O'Reilly. Their gas cap quote was $36. I got one at Autozone for $10. Granted, it's the same one, and it may fail again next year... $12 each for the lights labor!

I asked the guy how long it would take to re-test the car if I bring it back having fixed those issues. He said 30-45 minutes. I asked why it would take that long just to re-test the gas cap. He said, blah blah blah.

There is an option in Inspection Menu, where they can just check ur gas cap to see if its good or not. Dont trust Autozone!!lol. This step just takes a few mins.
But, to re-test your car( do state over, because you failed) 30 min is understandable. they prolly had a few cars lined up when you came in for a recheck.
If you failed because of the faulty gas cap, make sure you dont have an EVAP code set. And if there is no check engine light, make sure to drive it for a while for EVAP monitor to set.
State Inspection places, could also do a quick OBD2 test, to check if you pass or not.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the input, guys. I do not have any trouble codes, no SES light.

The report says "Gas cap failed pressure test."

I replaced the headlight, wired up a new socket, and put on the new gas cap. The seal was obviously worn down when comparing it to the new gas cap. The package says turn one click to install. I would always turn three clicks after getting gas. Maybe that's why it wore down so much. lol.

Last edited by Shackleford; 01-09-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Teching In

where are you located? i have a scanner ill see if its ready to pass inspection?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rickykline
where are you located? i have a scanner ill see if its ready to pass inspection?
I'm at 45 South and the Beltway. I'm going to get a re-test tomorrow morning. I better pass.

Quick Reply: How long does it take them to re-test gas cap pressurization?