Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

HELP: 99 Camaro wont Start, Misfire, & P0300 code

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: 99 Camaro wont Start, Misfire, & P0300 code

I have seen a lot of threads in regards to the infamous P0300 Code, and a bad misfire. I am currently in the process of trying to figure out what is wrong with my car.

The car is a 99 Z28. I have Headers, FTRA, Summit TB, Lid, K&N Filter, and 160,xxx miles.

Notes for story under long paragraph.

A little background about how it started. It started running rough, and black soot was coming out of the car because it was so rich. Had SRJ, and a couple of guys look at it and they found I had two Vacuum leaks. Both vacuum leaks were fixed and at the same time I had the injectors changed, thinking maybe I had a leaky injector. At first I thought maybe my issue was a fuel pump. After the vacuum leaks, and injectors car seemed strong again. Fast forward a couple of days, I pick up an LS6 intake from my buddy Tuesday night. Tuesday night/ Wednesday I work to install the intake (OSU i did break) Everything was failry straight forward on the install.

After I installed it i forgot to put the brake booster on, and it was running bad. I noticed it, and re-connected. Wednesday it was raining so I wasnt able to test the cars difference but there was not idle issues or misfires. The car ran great Wednesday until later that night it had a slight 15 sec stumble like it was fuel starved, then it was fine. All day thursday the car was perfect. Friday at 12 somthing on New Years the car stars the stumbling and dies coming off the freeway. Take me 5 time of starting, and throwing the car in Nuetral to get home.

To make a long story short, I put the LS1 intake back on thinking I screwed up the LS6 intake install. The car continued to not turn over. It was if i didint have fuel. I changed the Fuel filter, checked the fuel pressure which was about 48psi. Still nothing changed.. I looked over the car noticed Engine Sensor Fuse Blown, Changed it. The car would start and I could drive it, but it had a misfire. Ran the scanner came up with P0300 Code.

I then changed all the spark plugs, wires, (old plugs were black, carbon covered, only had these in about 5 months or less) O2 Sensors, put the ls6 intake back on, and double checked everything. Car now starts but shakes bad. This is where I am currently. Code still showed up after this.

Notes of this long story.

-Installed LS6 Intake was fine for Two days
-Car died, and I limped home
-Un-installed LS6 intake, put on LS1, still wouldnt start without me gasing it
-Changed Engine Sensor Fuse, Car then started but was misfiring P0300 code
-Changed spark plugs, old ones of 5 months were carbon covered, and smelled like fuel.
-Changed wires, LS6 intake re-installed, car still wouldnt start
-Changed 02 sensors, no real change
-Car vibrates really bad, gets worse in reverse, wont stay on, and eventually dies.

I am goining to continue on the trail to figure it out, and will keep this thread updated because it seems like a lot of people get this P0300 code, or the car acts funny. Any insight or suggestions is appreciated. I am going to have a real diagnostic done, and probaly a compression test. Thanks for reading, and any help given.

Last edited by EVERETTDREW; 01-11-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seems silly but did you make sure the plug wires clicked properly on both ends?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00SSLS1
Seems silly but did you make sure the plug wires clicked properly on both ends?
I actually am going to go back an re-click all of them. This is my third time doing the plugs. I orginally has MSD wires, and NGK iridums on the car the first round. Kept the MSD wires, and had AC Delco Iridium, and they were only in for 5 months or so. Now I am running new wires, I picked up the Duralast, and the NGK TR5, gapped them to .050.. Installed them and made sure to hear one click on the bottom, 2 on top. The NGK's came gapped at .04 orginally, so maybe I should put them back to the in-box gap size.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does the SES light flash?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

It stays on because I have the headers and no rear O2 Sensors. Plus i deleted the EGR, so the scan tool always shows this. Its a OBDII scan tool. If someone local to Riverside has a better scan tool or some kind of diagnostic system they could bring to the car that be a great help. We could work out the compensation details.

The P0300 code came on and after I deleted it, it hasnt shown up, but the car still Vibrates like crazy.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gc302047

This is how my car sounds, this is somones elses video of there car. I will post a video of mine.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVERETTDREW
It stays on because I have the headers and no rear O2 Sensors. Plus i deleted the EGR, so the scan tool always shows this. Its a OBDII scan tool. If someone local to Riverside has a better scan tool or some kind of diagnostic system they could bring to the car that be a great help. We could work out the compensation details.

The P0300 code came on and after I deleted it, it hasnt shown up, but the car still Vibrates like crazy.
Where in Riverside? I'm in Lake Elsinore and have a Tech 2
Old 01-11-2011, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Riverside border Moval, right across from raceway ford
Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you plug in all 3 pieces on the back of the intake? Small hose, large hose and map connecter?

Got both the connections on throttle body?

Id you move a wire somewhere it could have gotten burnt or cut?

maf?

Sounds like you have a boost leak or forgot to connect something.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

All the hoses were connected. The one for hvac the brake booster and the map sensor. I made sure of each. I thought maybe a vacuum leak too but when I sprayed it with carb cleaner it didn't surge. I also torqued it down 44 and then 89. All new intake gaskets and cleaned the lower portion. I am kind of thinking it's a wiring issue cause something blew the engine sensor fuse. I recorded a video on my phone but it's to big to upload right now.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

First id re check everything in the back and be sure the map and hoses are connected and in good condition(if they are cracked and brittle they will leak)

If that engine sensor fuse was blown you may want to keep checking it. The goes to teh MAF, o2s, and a few other things but if the fuse is blown the car can run fine.

Have you used the same fuel rail the entire time? Pressure regulator could be going out.

A leakdown and compression test can tell you alot, its possible you may have sucked something into the manifold when the brake line was un hooked, possibly messed up a valve or ring.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The engine sensor fuse being blown wont always make it run rough. My parents 01 SS blows the fuse as soon as the ignition is turned on but runs great with no issues.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
First id re check everything in the back and be sure the map and hoses are connected and in good condition(if they are cracked and brittle they will leak)

If that engine sensor fuse was blown you may want to keep checking it. The goes to teh MAF, o2s, and a few other things but if the fuse is blown the car can run fine.

Have you used the same fuel rail the entire time? Pressure regulator could be going out.

A leakdown and compression test can tell you alot, its possible you may have sucked something into the manifold when the brake line was un hooked, possibly messed up a valve or ring.
I think the leakdown compression test is going to be my next direction. When the booster blower was detached that was the first go round. The car started and ran great after I installed the LS6 intake. It then went down, and eventually landed me where I am now. I bought the injectors, and the rail from a guy off tech, I think he only had 26,000-30,000 miles, maybe more maybe less. The PCV piping was very brittle, and I had to use some other piping in order to fix it but maybe it is cracked in other areas. Would this cause the car to misfire, and shake due to vacuum leak?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

The car originally wouldnt turn on before I changed the fuse. It acted like a carb car instead of fuel injected. Once I changed it, it would start better.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Did you put locktite(blue) on the intake bolts, i didn't when i did my intake swap and they loosened up and i got lean codes. Hope you get the problem solved.

Kevin
Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

knocked a ground lose?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

I put locktight on it this last time along with using a torque wrench. In terms of the ground that's possible. Do you have a pi true of all the l locations?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

I am planning on doing a compression test today or tomorrow. I will make sure to post the results.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try another maf!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Try another maf!
I have two, one descreened, one screened. The screened one was on there I swapped it last night with the de screened and it seemed quiter. Does anyone know is there is a picture location of all the grounds? Also if anyone can host a video I will send it via email of the way my car sounds.

Quick Reply: HELP: 99 Camaro wont Start, Misfire, & P0300 code