Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

3.8 blinking ses

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 3.8 blinking ses

Ok so it's hard to search via iPhone but I haven't seen one of these ever anyways.

1.) problem.

Ses light always on, when scanned it says something about the cat efficiency, probably due to an u2 sensor I found with frayed wires ..

2.) car has run perfectly fine like this for 40k miles

3) Ses light will use to blink once you hit 95 mph or so, performance didn't seem hindered it just goes blinky

4) now Ses light goes blinky whenever I go wot even when speed are sub 75 mph.

Is this due to an o2 sensor? Am I loosing any performance due to this? Have I already possibly ruined something??

Again car still puts like a kitten but the light is obnoxious.

Also after doing an oil change I found a small leak, possibly rear main.. Great....

Car just hot 100000 miles, I'm hoping to get at least 200 out of it, car has newish deco iridium, new wires, New air filter, new RP 5w30 oil " it's been cold as hell lately" and all problems "aside from oil leak" were pre existing before plugs/wires.

Any info or ideas would be awesome. "

Oh one more thing, it's technically less then 100k miles because I did a tire upgrade and never had speedo/odo calibrated..
Old 01-12-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

And in not illiterate damn iPhone Auto correct.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ttt bumpy
Old 01-12-2011, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only 02 sensors that would hinder your car's performance and operation would be the two in the manifolds or headers. The one near the cat is just to tell the PCM that the cat is working. Check the O2 sensors on the manifolds/heads and come back.

If you think its the cat, chop it off, and put a pipe in its place and see if it makes a difference. My 3.8 is catless and I have an SES light, it does not blink however just stays lit, you might have some underlying problems in this situation though since it blinks continuously.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

It only blinks at WOT otherwise it's steady on. The O2@ the manifold pass side is the one I believe to be faulty as the wires seem frayed.. What kind of performance would I be loosing with just a faulty O2?? My car still gets 30+ mpg highway and other then when I go WOT and get the flashy ses the car runs perfectly.. Only codes are efficiency codes, which autozone always tells me it's because of walmart gas... That I don't use. I'm also running 90 octane in it for the last 35k miles or so... Basically since I bought it.. I seem to get 1 or 2 mpg better on 90 then 87...

Should I just fix the O2? Or is there something elese that would appear to be wrong??
Old 01-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you got the time go to a Orileys and get the ignition coils and module tested ( free ). at 103,xxx 1 of my coils went out at 109.xxx another went out 1 coil sparks 2 plugs at low rpm and light cruising it was good but at WOT or hard accel from a red light the SES light flashed and felt kind of rough due to misfires the coil wasn't keeping up I guess.

also I heard that Royal Purp kills catalyst converters and 02 sensors the sensors can be cleaned off ( the tops ) but the cat is gone if its clogged

Last edited by TehGODofGreen; 01-12-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will need to get the plugs changed anyways due to your mileage (or do them yourself), but like the above poster said, get your coil packs checked.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've already changed the plugs and wires.. The plugs have probably 15k on iridiums.. Scanners don't show misfires...and it's not acting as though it's missing at all even though typically that's what the see light does in that case but it's a slow blink as I've replicated that with a plug wire pulled testing for spark.. The car was blinking on the Ses light when I bought it using dino oil but only in speeds around 90-100ish plus... Now I can make it go blinky just at WOT before I even hit 80...

Thanks for all the input guys, when I get paid stun I'm going to replace the O2.. Should I do both??

Also any other suggestions invade that doesn't work?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Btw.... CURSE YOU IPHONE AUTO CORRECT!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Change both sensors. They monitor air levels and tell the PCM how much fuel to add, this prevents you from running too lean or too rich. So those two front sensors going bad, could hurt your engine, performance, and your fuel economy - pretty important IMO.

If its only blinking at WOT to begin with then something was definitely wrong. Are the wires in good condition, are they burnt anywhere? Is it white near the boots? Were the spark plugs gapped properly? It wouldn't hurt to check your coils like mentioned either, also the ICM, the board that the coils sit on could potentially go bad.

Is there any knocking, noises, or other symptoms? The light is blinking when you drive but does the car feel abnormal?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Teching In

do you have the exact SES code? P 03xx or P 04xx?
slightly helps.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll get it scanned again to make sure no other codes and I'll post results on here when I can.. It will be a couple says before I can get it scanned my job is demanding... Luckily when I'm at work for 3-7 days at a time I use their vehicles not mine.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok well, the codes don't just show o2's now and the guy at Autozone was actually intelligent... Codes are showing a lean condition and o2s. Diagnostics say it's the MAF ... Haven't pulled the MAF yet to see if it's clogged or dirty, any tips for cleaning it? Anyone have a good one for a 3.8?? Also any spare o2's sitting around??
Old 01-15-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Baalic, the O2's would probably be best to be replaced as new. The MAF can be cleaned, but I can't remember what solution you spray it with. Make sure you have a clean filter. If you're using a K&N, don't use so much oil, that will foul up the MAF wire. Usually best to unhook the cable to the MAF sensor, loosen the two screws and pull out the MAF sensor and spray it.

The SES flashing at WOT would probably be pointing to your maf being dirty or failing. Let's just hope it is dirty.

This is on an '02 V6 Camaro right?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is correct 02 v6 Camaro .. I'm going to pull the MAF tommorow o2s Friday
Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Post-up on how the MAF cleaning works out. I had a similar issue with my DD V6 99 Camaro last year. I can't remember what the fix was at this point, but I did buy some MAF cleaner and sprayed it clean. I also had some issues with vacuum lines around the back of the intake. You may want to check the vacuum lines and connectors for dry rot and replace them if necessary, it can'
t hurt and is really cheap.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll be checking the MAF a little later today.. Going to wait until the wife wakes up so I can have Somone watch our son
Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

MaF looked spotless as did throttle body.. I'm guessing I just have bad o2's .. While I was messing with stuff I did a descreen and free ram air mod, and cut all the fins from the lid... Couldn't hurt until I get an slp lid right ? I also looked all over my garage for a way to debaffle my lid... I have some ideas for some custom stuff I'll probably try later and post pics when I do..
Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so I just put 130 miles on my car all highway miles... Ses light no longer flashing and with the descreened MAF, definned lid and free ram air it seems to have last the dead spot in power from 65-80 that it's always had!!! Still need new o2's ill be watching fuel consumption also to see if these free upgrades helped at all..
Old 01-18-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

MAF screen won't be too much of a gain at all, luckily it is the straight throttle body on that car, if it was a 98 or earlier I'd do a virtual forehead slap as it actually ruins the airflow going to the MAF.

Quick Reply: 3.8 blinking ses