LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converter

on our stock converter my car does'nt move in gear to you hit the gas . with that being said has any body every tried a tighter conveter in our car like what they are doing in all the ford supercharged vehicles i.e. lighting,and cobras
Old 01-13-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Wait...you want to tighten the converter? I'm confused....
Old 01-13-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Wait...you want to tighten the converter? I'm confused....
I think he's just looking for less stall.

I'm actually going with less stall on my partial rebuild. Dave @ TEP says there are two converters that fit our cars,and one of them has a few hundred RPM less stall than the one that comes with our DoD-equipped cars. So, that's the one that is going into the Impala with the new valve body.

I'm willing to give up some launch in exchange for less slop. I know that a tighter converter will also make the 4-to-8 cylinder transition more noticeable, but I can live with that. The reman that came with my GM SERTA trans was waaay loose, and it made the car shitty to drive.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

I don't have enough traction issues to want to go to a tighter converter. If anything I'd like to go a little looser the way it sits now.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
I don't have enough traction issues to want to go to a tighter converter. If anything I'd like to go a little looser the way it sits now.
I hear ya. And stall is great if you're not concerned about drivability. I guess when ya get old like me, you begin to think more about stuff. I just don't like the sloppy feel of a lot of stall unless I'm loading it up at the track. My GN has a 2400-stall D5 converter from the factory, and that even feels like too much on the street.

Just call me an old foagie, I guess!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I hear ya. And stall is great if you're not concerned about drivability. I guess when ya get old like me, you begin to think more about stuff. I just don't like the sloppy feel of a lot of stall unless I'm loading it up at the track. My GN has a 2400-stall D5 converter from the factory, and that even feels like too much on the street.

Just call me an old foagie, I guess!
I guess it's just a difference of style! Nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i was talking about tighten it up alittle this car is alot different then my comp g in the way it launches and shifts and i know on some boosted application they run a tight converter like for example 02 crown vic with an 03 cobra motor 4 cam with a 2.8 kennebell 550 on the dyno took it from a 2600 stall to a 2200 stall and made a huge difference in the car im just bouncing idea's out there i dont know everything and am not afraid to admit it just putting it out there
Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think in stock or near stock form, a lower stall would be more desirable. Not for launch but for cruising. I hate that the engine has to rev to nearly 3k rpms before there is noticeable acceleration. When New Era put my car on the dyno, Mike couldn't believe how "loose" the converter felt when pulling the tires up on the drums. For a second, he thought there was something wrong with my transmission.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

I HATE the gearing and converter slop in these cars. The converter is also to blame for our crappy city mileage. I think 3.29 gearing and a tighter converter would do wonders for drivability and fuel mileage.

I had a 4400 stall in my Camaro but it was not a DD.