Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 top-end build help in 69 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 top-end build help in 69 camaro

I'm looking for help, suggestions, advice, etc regarding my decision to get more out of my LQ4.

I sourced an LQ4 with 40k to swap into my 69 camaro. I ran an LS6 intake and injectors, but everything else is stock. After tuning it put down just just about 350 wrhp and 370 wrt with a T56. After the tune i rebuilt the rear with 3.90 gears, 27" tire.

The car really runs great, but i know there is more to be had. I recently dismantled the car in preparation for paint, so the engine is sitting and has been begging me to make some improvements.

I plan to continue going to the track and autocross events with the car, but i spend more time on the street. i am looking for hp gains and a nice idle sound, but again the car will see more street time than anything else.

I would like some suggestions. I have looked at total kits like the texaspeed 5.3L ported heads and cam combo for approx $1,700. Not sure if i should piece it together or go with someone's package.

Of course money is a limited resource, remember i'm paying for paint... I would like to do as much as can on a reasonable budget. Combo suggestions including cam spec, heads are welcomed. Should i work with the 317 heads or go 243 and bump the compression? What do you think the gains will be with any suggestion and possible costs? I have more questions than time to formulate so offer up advice, please.

Also let me know what else i have have not considered. I know i will need new bolts, gaskets, balancer, etc. but what about oiling, timing chain and anything else i need to consider.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by aray327
I'm looking for help, suggestions, advice, etc regarding my decision to get more out of my LQ4.

I sourced an LQ4 with 40k to swap into my 69 camaro. I ran an LS6 intake and injectors, but everything else is stock. After tuning it put down just just about 350 wrhp and 370 wrt with a T56. After the tune i rebuilt the rear with 3.90 gears, 27" tire.

The car really runs great, but i know there is more to be had. I recently dismantled the car in preparation for paint, so the engine is sitting and has been begging me to make some improvements.

I plan to continue going to the track and autocross events with the car, but i spend more time on the street. i am looking for hp gains and a nice idle sound, but again the car will see more street time than anything else.

I would like some suggestions. I have looked at total kits like the texaspeed 5.3L ported heads and cam combo for approx $1,700. Not sure if i should piece it together or go with someone's package.

Of course money is a limited resource, remember i'm paying for paint... I would like to do as much as can on a reasonable budget. Combo suggestions including cam spec, heads are welcomed. Should i work with the 317 heads or go 243 and bump the compression? What do you think the gains will be with any suggestion and possible costs? I have more questions than time to formulate so offer up advice, please.

Also let me know what else i have have not considered. I know i will need new bolts, gaskets, balancer, etc. but what about oiling, timing chain and anything else i need to consider.
I am sure the Texas Speed kit would rock. It is an easy way to go with a proven combo. They can tell you which head to choose to get the compression ratio you are after.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd mill the 317s and toss in an LS6 cam and springs. Or give one of the sponsors a call and get a cam on order. I'd stick to cam/springs though, rather than go big-time with heads.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

I read an article from either gmperformance or CHP on a stock bottom ended LQ4 with L92 heads that made 470 fwhp with a gm "hot cam" and 507fwhp with a big nasty cam. That article sold me, I have a LQ4 I'm putting in my 69. I bought a set of used, assembled L92's off of here for $600, just need to get with Texas Speed on a cam, car should make plenty of power
Old 01-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Teching In

i Like the idea of L92 heads, but that would require a new intake manifold and new TB plus new wiring adapter. I know they flow better but not sure about all the extra work required. It's not completely out of the question through. There are still a number of guys looking for the LS6 intake which would cover the costs of the LS3 intake...

Milling the existing heads would be the least expensive choice. I understand that gets you about 10.5:1 compression. What kind of gain could i see with a mill, port/polish, springs and cam combo. Any idea?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by dHud
I read an article from either gmperformance or CHP on a stock bottom ended LQ4 with L92 heads that made 470 fwhp with a gm "hot cam" and 507fwhp with a big nasty cam. That article sold me, I have a LQ4 I'm putting in my 69. I bought a set of used, assembled L92's off of here for $600, just need to get with Texas Speed on a cam, car should make plenty of power
Sorry to say, I think you got "hosed" on the heads. You can get new LS3 heads from PACE for $336.95 easch. (With hallow intakes)
https://02c0c2a.netsolstores.com/ind...&ProdID=281486
Old 01-14-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased brand new L92's from the local dealership for $437 each. I replaced the stock springs which only good to .525" lift with Patriot Extremes good to .660" lift. With the larger valves you will need a stout spring. These valves are heavy but these heads flow alot to be untouched. You will need to source an intake off of a LS3 or equivalent with the rectangular ports. I bought my LS3 intake from Ebay off of a 2010 Camaro with 50 miles on it. It came with the seals, bolts, crossover tubes, intake, fuel rails, and injectors for $250-$275. You will need to make sure you have a 4 bolt throttle body as well. The injectors have the EV6 connectors so if you dont have them you will need to get adapters or rewire your pigtails. I am using a 236/242@.050"-
.580"/.590" lift cam which should put me in or near the 525-550fwhp range. I am also using a 96mm throttle body. From what I have read this is the range the magazines have tested them to anyway. I lose a little being fuel injected but gain the reliability. So 500fwhp is my goal and probably more realistic. A few more things to consider, you will need 8 offset intake rockers ($96) and 2 rocker stands for the L92 heads. these intake ports are so big they had to offset the rockers to have enough material without interferring with the intake port to bolt the rockers on. GM has the best deal on MLS head gaskets unless you are after a thinner gasket. I bought both of mine for $60 and they are for the 6.0/6.2. New head bolts will also be required since they are torque to yield. The valve cover on the passenger side (right side) will need modifications to the baffles if you are using the stockers. If you would like to see some pictures of these heads and how everything is laid out go to my build "LQ4/T56 in my 69 Camaro" scroll through and you will see exactly what I am talking about. You will gain a little in compression due to the smaller combustion chambers and pick up quite a bit horsepower in the upper range. You will lose a little down low because of the big intake ports and lack of velocity. If I read correctly the #317 heads have 72cc chambers and the
L92's have a 70cc chamber. Looks might be deceiving but the chambers on the L92's look to be a lot smaller. It might be the massive intake valve that takes up so much space though. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Sorry to say, I think you got "hosed" on the heads. You can get new LS3 heads from PACE for $336.95 easch. (With hallow intakes)
https://02c0c2a.netsolstores.com/ind...&ProdID=281486
Well your entitled to your opinion, but I don't really think I got "hosed" on a set of low mileage heads. Seems to be be about the going price. Saved around $100 over the ones from pace, I looked at them before I bought the ones I got. I'm not sold on the hollow valves anyway
Old 01-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Teching In

tsnow678 - I read your post build.

As i see it, it would cost me approx $2,000 to do L92/LS3 top-end conversion with a new cam. I could recoop approx $500 after selling my LS6 intake and heads. That combo may yield an extra 100hp.

if i keep my current heads, mill maybe port/polish and cam, i think it may run approx $900+ and yield approx 50-75hp????

any comments on my assumptions?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

All depends on who does the porting and polishing. WCCH charges more to port and polish than the L92's are alone. You will still need the intake ported or buy a FAST which will set you back $800-$1000. And you will need new head bolts, gaskets, and springs. Just food for thought.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Teching In

i didn't add the bolt, gaskets into the equation as i would need them either way.
Clearly the easiest thing to do is just leave it alone and drive!

Life is never that easy.... I have more thinking to do. It's difficult to accept spending more on the motor than i spend for it.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

I understand that! I wish mine was running and I had your problem. I love to upgrade existing setups but I hate converting old into new. Once my engine is in and I know everything fits like it should I will slowly make it exactly like I want it. Maybe a little whistle will be added as my next step. For around $4000 you could increase your horsepower considerably and hardly do anything. You could prolly get out cheaper than that putting together a turbo setup. The good thing about a turbo setup is your accessories would remain exactly like you have them. You could also buy a piece here and there until you have everything while being able to drive your car as is.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tsnow678
I purchased brand new L92's from the local dealership for $437 each. I replaced the stock springs which only good to .525" lift with Patriot Extremes good to .660" lift. With the larger valves you will need a stout spring. These valves are heavy but these heads flow alot to be untouched. You will need to source an intake off of a LS3 or equivalent with the rectangular ports. I bought my LS3 intake from Ebay off of a 2010 Camaro with 50 miles on it. It came with the seals, bolts, crossover tubes, intake, fuel rails, and injectors for $250-$275. You will need to make sure you have a 4 bolt throttle body as well. The injectors have the EV6 connectors so if you dont have them you will need to get adapters or rewire your pigtails. I am using a 236/242@.050"-
.580"/.590" lift cam which should put me in or near the 525-550fwhp range. I am also using a 96mm throttle body. From what I have read this is the range the magazines have tested them to anyway. I lose a little being fuel injected but gain the reliability. So 500fwhp is my goal and probably more realistic. A few more things to consider, you will need 8 offset intake rockers ($96) and 2 rocker stands for the L92 heads. these intake ports are so big they had to offset the rockers to have enough material without interferring with the intake port to bolt the rockers on. GM has the best deal on MLS head gaskets unless you are after a thinner gasket. I bought both of mine for $60 and they are for the 6.0/6.2. New head bolts will also be required since they are torque to yield. The valve cover on the passenger side (right side) will need modifications to the baffles if you are using the stockers. If you would like to see some pictures of these heads and how everything is laid out go to my build "LQ4/T56 in my 69 Camaro" scroll through and you will see exactly what I am talking about. You will gain a little in compression due to the smaller combustion chambers and pick up quite a bit horsepower in the upper range. You will lose a little down low because of the big intake ports and lack of velocity. If I read correctly the #317 heads have 72cc chambers and the
L92's have a 70cc chamber. Looks might be deceiving but the chambers on the L92's look to be a lot smaller. It might be the massive intake valve that takes up so much space though. Good luck on whatever you decide.
I found this very informative and appriciate yout time! thanks!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Hows everything going? Its been a year since we got to see an update? Any new news?

Quick Reply: LQ4 top-end build help in 69 camaro