Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Probe Turbo 4.8L :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Probe Turbo 4.8L :)

Hey guys, I have been here for a while, I just don't post much because I am new to the ls motors and have been quietly doing research and buying parts. I recently picked up a 95 Probe GT that had been converted to rear wheel drive. I got the chassis, it's caged, and came with all suspension, and a 9in rear end.

Over the next three days I will be mounting up the motor to make the tranny mount, route the ecu wiring, and get the fuel sorted out.

I am sure I will need the experts advise here on the board, as I have many questions about the wiring and HPTuners(which is what I will be using to tune the car once its put together)

As for the build, it's a 2002 4.8L with ARP rod bolts, LS2 timing chain, LS1 cam, LS1 intake, LS6 valve springs, and that's about it for the motor. The oil pan is a GTO oil pan, because it will have to clear the manual steering rack, I milled the back end down about three to four inches for more clearance.

The tranny is a 700r4, Built(not sure what this all intails), with a 2200 stall, and reverse manual valve body. Also I will be using a fourth gen aluminium drive shaft, until I break it....

The ECU and harness are from a 04 GTO, which has been mostly ripped apart, basically ready to start the harness layout in the engine bay, once I put the motor back in.

Here is a link to the thread I made on another forum, has more info.....
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701298162

And Here are some pics(crappy cell phone I apologize). I will update saturday, sunday and monday as I get more and more done with the car.

On to the pics:

Oil pan

John

EDIT: More pics, engine and rear end

Poor car out bravin the weather(just had eight inches of snow on it, but it's almost 60 degrees out!!!)

Daddy's new ride 2006 Audi A4(bought for my new daughter, EVO wasnt kid friendly)

Thanks for looking!!!

John

Last edited by dueces; 01-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

none of the links work bro
Old 01-15-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Not working for me either. Just post them in the thread, nobody wants to click on a bunch of links to see pics. Sounds like an interesting build though.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Teching In

good luck with the build whats the car weigh
Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Oh sorry guys, not sure why the links are dead, I just put them up two weeks ago. And I suck at the interweb, so how do I post them directly to the thread?

The car should weigh in right around 2700lbs. The plan is to get it running ok NA first, then do the turbo setup. I would like to have it running under it own power by middle february.

John

EDIT: Links have been fixed! Not sure why they didn't transfer over from the other forum, but they work now. I will post them direct if someone can tell me how....

Last edited by dueces; 01-15-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Rear axle location needs adjustment, not even close to being centered in the wells

Why mill the rear of the pan? Is the rack that close or are you running something else through there like exhaust?

Even a lowly 4.8 should be quite a handful in that little car
Old 01-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, looks like its going to be a fun build.
Isnt the fuel cell/tank in backwards? Shoudnt the sump be facing the rear?
Thats a cool project. Lookin forward to your updates.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pocket
Rear axle location needs adjustment, not even close to being centered in the wells

Why mill the rear of the pan? Is the rack that close or are you running something else through there like exhaust?

Even a lowly 4.8 should be quite a handful in that little car
Yeah it is off a little bit, but this is how I got the car. The oil pan is milled because that area would have been real close to the steering rack, or possibly touching it, so I wanted the extra clearance. I am hoping it runs low 12's on motor, its nothing special as far as internal parts, but once it's turbo'ed it should haul the mail!!

Originally Posted by Tig
Nice, looks like its going to be a fun build.
Isnt the fuel cell/tank in backwards? Shoudnt the sump be facing the rear?
Thats a cool project. Lookin forward to your updates.
It is just put in place so I could drill for the mounting of it. I didn't even notice which way I put it up..... I will correct that when I take it back out.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Update: Got the car in the garage and started putting things together, like the GTO oil pan and the auto tranny, originally the car was supposed to be a manual, with a MKIII Supra turbo tranny, but it was just going to be too much of a headache, so I bought the auto for cheap. Pan Clears good, but the auto tranny will have to have some shaving done to it, as it rubs up against the steering knuckle, nothing ten minutes with a grinder won't solve.

Also, I will have to cut off a driveshaft loop and move it farther back, as it is right where the front u-joint is, and that is rubbing as well, no biggie.

Here are some more pics:

The motor sits about an inch off the firewall, which is what I wanted. Looks like Everything will still clear, with the exception of the strut tower brace, which will have to be notched for the intake mani.

John
Old 01-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Launching!

And yes, the valve covers are on backwards, because I am just retarded.....
Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

fords are always better with chevy engines in them! good job!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:43 PM
9 Second Club

Sweet build, look like the pan worked out great!!

Nice paint job on the motor!!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its gonna run hard even n/a for sure
Old 01-15-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ha, that's an interesting build, I'd certainly never expect it.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thirdgen60
Sweet build, look like the pan worked out great!!

Nice paint job on the motor!!
Boy, You aint kidding! Glad you can paint! and wire, and weld, and fab..... And I am Damn glad your helping me!!!

Pan worked real good. Had to take the motor off for the only fitment problem which was the auto tranny hitting the steering knuckle, so I took care of that with a grinder

Did some trial fitting of the truck exhaust mani's, aimed down the drivers side is in the way of the alt, aimed up it just looks hysterical, and piping would be a nightmare! I also tryed the GTO mani's, but couldnt even put the drivers side on, due to the master cylinder and line lock. I will probably just modify the drivers side to miss the alt, should also make it look cleaner that way.

Put on the Aeromotive rails, and I guess they must not have been on an ls1 before I bought them, because the mounting plate is way off. Time to call Aeromotive....

And this is how I left it for the night. While it was out, I took the pan off and cleaned it out, installed the oil pickup, and bolted that, the front cover, and the valve covers back on(notice they are correct now, ha ha)

I will be back out there tomorrow to start were I left off, hopefully the tranny mount and wiring are done and laid out to where they need to be by the end of tomorrow!!!

Thanks for looking,

John
Old 01-16-2011, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Wow! Crazy! I helped Matt with the Probe a bunch before you bought that chassis and it still had the 2JZ in it.

Best of luck!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z33Art
Wow! Crazy! I helped Matt with the Probe a bunch before you bought that chassis and it still had the 2JZ in it.

Best of luck!
Sweet! Yeah if you get a chance let him know I got this thread going here and probetalk. Oddly enough, our goals were the same, 9's and to pull the front wheels, ha ha

Update coming soon

John
Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Well here is the update, got the wiring harness all straightened out, along with an awesome fuse box that thirdgen60 built! He also did the welding to the tranny mount which is also complete. Most of the harness has been taped and loomed, all connections have been soldered and heat shrinked, and all is well for a days worth of work! On to some pics....

Last pic shows the one side loomed and the other not, how I left it for the night....

John
Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Aeromotive rails look like they are designed for a LS2 intake which uses a different bolt pattern. I dont see why rail manufacturers dont drill all LSx rals in the same place then use a different hardware kit for the different engine types. Some offer kits to use LS1 rails on LS2s, but not the reverse

Get a stick of alum angle stock and bend it to suit. The angle needs to be bent from 90* to about 80* or the injectors will leak. Id suggest priming the system with the key before attempting a run to double check

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/DSC02070.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/DSC01887.jpg

You might want to reconsider just closing your eyes when you weld. It puts off a TON of UV light and will sunburn the hell out of your face. Not to mention zero protection from any of those molten buggers flying everywhere
Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Launching!

oh ok, thanks for the advise! And he was only tacking the plates without the mask, most of the time it was on.....

Quick Reply: Ford Probe Turbo 4.8L :)