Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can I hook up something other than CD changer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I hook up something other than CD changer?

I tried searching for this, but only found one thread, and it didn't really answer my question.

Here goes:

I have the Monsoon CD player in my 2000 Z28. It has a CD/AUX button that would allow you to control a CD changer. My question is this - How does the CD changer connect to the receiver? In other words, is there a universal AUX input on the back of the factory head unit where I could adapt something like a portable MP3 player instead of the CD changer? My car didn't come with the CD changer, but I was hoping I could just get behind the head unit and attach a cable and keep the MP3 player in the glove box or something.

I apologize for the length...I just wanted to be clear so you guys wouldn't have to ask me what I mean. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I found a couple links:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=AUX

--VIP1
Old 02-10-2004, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the links. It looks like I might have a dilemma, though.
From what I understand, since I have the single CD Monsoon head unit(in a 2000 Camaro), I cannot use the adapter from P.I.E.
They said I need the cassette player with the CD/AUX button. But I'm kinda confused. The guy on the phone tried to tell me that if you have the single CD head unit, it will be set up for an external cassette player
Does that make sense? Did GM even have an external cassette player? I assume it would be mounted in the dash somewhere if they did...
But my single CD head unit has a CD/AUX button, so why wouldn't it work the same way as a cassette head unit with a CD/AUX button?
I really don't want to spend $60 on an adapter if it might not work. I guess I could ask them what their return policy is...

Anyone have any input? Thanks...
Old 02-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

GM changed the headunit a bit in 2000 or 2001. It used to be that only the cassette player headunit could control the cd changer. In 2000 or 20001 the cd player headunit could also control the cd changer. To my knowledge there was no "external" cassette player, only the player in the headunit. My knowledge on this subject is a bit limited, maybe Rogue Leader (or another expert) can help you out more with this. Try PMing him.

--VIP1
Old 02-10-2004, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Cool, thanks. I hope that's the case...
Old 02-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Actually, the change was made in mid-1999. After the mid year change, the single CD head unit could be used to control either a CD changer or an external tape player. The external tape player was never used in the F-body but it was a separate unit that mounted in the dash below the head unit on some other models.

I have a 2000 T/A with the single CD head unit and I added a factory 12 disc changer without any problems. Press CD/Aux button once and it plays the indash CD. Press it again and it switches to the changer. You should be able to use the PIE adapter (GM9-AUX) without needing any other equipment.

The other point that they say about the PIE adapter is that the pre-2001 head units could not control more than one external AUX device. So, if you had a factory CD changer, you would have to disconnect it in order to use the PIE adapter and your MP3 player. In your case you don't have a CD changer to disconnect so that's no problem. Besides, there is some doubt about whether they really know what they're talking about. Many of us suspect that the same change made in mid-1999 is the one that allows more than one Aux device (rather than 2001 as they claim). Haven't found anyone willing to spend the money to test the theory...
Old 02-12-2004, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Awesome. Thanks for the info, Whitebird. If I get the adapter, I will post again telling everyone whether it worked or not.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Default me too

I also have a 2000 Z28 with Monsoon, but I have the CD changer in the trunk as well as the in-dash CD. NO tape anywhere of course. I want to switch between CD and AUX.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by BrianWilliams2003
I also have a 2000 Z28 with Monsoon, but I have the CD changer in the trunk as well as the in-dash CD. NO tape anywhere of course. I want to switch between CD and AUX.
Well, the PIE GM9-AUX adapter will allow you to run the radio, the in-dash CD and an external Aux device (MP3 player, XM radio, etc.) using the factory controls. According to PIE, that's all you can connect on a 2000 model. According to them, if you had a 2001 or newer you could have the radio, the in-dash CD, the factory CD changer AND an Aux device. However, there's good reason to believe that PIE has incorrect information about the year and that your 2000 model can have both the changer and the Aux device. We've just never found anyone who's actually installed one in a 2000 model to confirm it. If it works, you would press the CD/Aux button once for the in-dash CD, a second time to switch to the CD changer and a third time to switch to the Aux device.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

So would it or would it not work on a 98 TA with factory in-dash CD?
Old 02-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, you can use the GM9-AUX to connect an auxiliary device such as an MP3 player or satellite radio. You could not connect a factory CD changer because the 98 in-dash CD can't control a changer.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, you can use the GM9-AUX to connect an auxiliary device such as an MP3 player or satellite radio. You could not connect a factory CD changer because the 98 in-dash CD can't control a changer.
Sweet! All I need to be able to hook up is my MP3 player. Thanks a lot man!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Little more help. I have a 2000 Sunfire with the Monsoon Head Unit. I don't have the tape changer or even the CD changer, though I do have the single CD in the unit.

I would like to use my Dell DJ as an AUX input. I followed the links that you guys where talking about, but I am not seeing the item with the same part number that you are using. Have they changed it, or stopped selling it? What would be my best solution here.

All I really need are the AUX inputs and the ability for the radio to switch to the AUX input.

Thanks for any help.

Well looking around now, I see that the adapter isn't compatable with my car from some reason. Anyone have any further help for me?

Last edited by diablo581; 04-22-2004 at 10:37 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 04-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by diablo581
Little more help. I have a 2000 Sunfire with the Monsoon Head Unit. I don't have the tape changer or even the CD changer, though I do have the single CD in the unit.

I would like to use my Dell DJ as an AUX input. I followed the links that you guys where talking about, but I am not seeing the item with the same part number that you are using. Have they changed it, or stopped selling it? What would be my best solution here.

All I really need are the AUX inputs and the ability for the radio to switch to the AUX input.

Thanks for any help.

Well looking around now, I see that the adapter isn't compatable with my car from some reason. Anyone have any further help for me?
Well, you can use the X3 adapter but that would mean mounting the control switch someplace within reach. It allows hooking up to three auxilliary devices (satellite radio, MP3 player, etc.) to the factory radio but the switching is done with the external module rather than the factory radio controls. It is available for the Sunbird (BTW, when did the Sunbird start coming with the LS1? ). http://www.pie.net/sec14sb3.htm

Your other option is an FM modulator. Don't get one of those wireless ones - the sound is pretty lousy. A wired FM modulator will give you sound quality that is in between a CD and an FM radio station. Depending on how noisy your car is and how fussy you are, that can be quite sufficient. Crutchfield has a good one from JVC with eight frequencies and auto shutoff.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Is this one any different than the one that is quoted above though? I mean it looks to be along similar lines (Though this one doesn't say it won't work).
Old 04-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, it will work. The difference is that it is not trying to give you control of the auxilliary device through the radio. All it is doing is providing a low-level input through the same channel as the CD changer would use. You have to switch devices using their external switch.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

I have a 2000 Camaro with the factory CD player and 12 disc changer. If I get the GM9-AUX adapter, and take the changer out, can I hook up XM radio and control it via the AUX button on the Monsoon?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

I did some research and found this link:

http://www.pie.net/gm9_aux_inst.htm

It states that 2000 and below Monsoon radios can't control 3 devices. I wonder if this is true? I will buy the adapter and post my findings. I should have the cash around May 1.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by koolaid
I did some research and found this link:

http://www.pie.net/gm9_aux_inst.htm

It states that 2000 and below Monsoon radios can't control 3 devices. I wonder if this is true? I will buy the adapter and post my findings. I should have the cash around May 1.
You are just the person we've been looking for!

PIE says that only the 2001 and newer models can add the AUX device (satellite radio or whatever) and continue to use the factory CD changer. 2000 and earlier models would be able to add the AUX device but would have to disconnect the changer. We think they have the wrong year. There was a major change in the radios in mid-1999 that allowed a CD head unit to control a CD changer. I expect that is when the head unit also became capable of controlling more than one external device.

Even if you don't want to keep the changer connected in the long run, it would be very helpful if you could test to see if your 2000 system can control both the changer and the AUX device using the GM9-AUX. I have a 2000 but I don't want to give up the changer so I didn't want to buy a device that wouldn't work for me.

Please let us know what you find.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

I will let you guys know!

Quick Reply: Can I hook up something other than CD changer?