Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

foxbody rack n pinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foxbody rack n pinion

has any one doing or did the fox swap use the stock rack to work?
any help would be cool
thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ls_Nova
has any one doing or did the fox swap use the stock rack to work?
any help would be cool
thanks.
why would it not work?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

not sure just see most doing a manueal flamin rack thats all....so do i just plug were the power stering lines go..
Old 01-16-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

No, do not plug the lines. I made a power rack into a manual rack by removing all the valving on the steering shaft, then I connected the left and right power assist ports together and filled the rack, I could turn the wheels while parked almost by palming the wheel in a 89 Fox Mustang with a 351w and a c4.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

my car has a manual rack from a 86 mustang.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zipster
No, do not plug the lines. I made a power rack into a manual rack by removing all the valving on the steering shaft, then I connected the left and right power assist ports together and filled the rack, I could turn the wheels while parked almost by palming the wheel in a 89 Fox Mustang with a 351w and a c4.
cool but kinda lost first time really dealing with a rack..so you connected the ports on the rack that would connect to the pump or shaft together..does that sound rite sorry...any pics of that time of build...
Old 01-16-2011, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mred
my car has a manual rack from a 86 mustang.
cool ill check into that also...just on a lil budget in some areas of the build..it will come to bite me im sure...thanks...
Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need the valve to drop the pressure down, do a search on here some people have mentioned it.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnies
You will need the valve to drop the pressure down, do a search on here some people have mentioned it.
He's right, if you're planning on using power steering with the stock rack & a gm pump. Here is the link to the fitting that will reduce the flow from 3gpm to 2gpm.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustan...isplayId=24682
Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ls_Nova
cool but kinda lost first time really dealing with a rack..so you connected the ports on the rack that would connect to the pump or shaft together..does that sound rite sorry...any pics of that time of build...
What I did was disassemble the rack, I removed all the valving from the shaft that goes to the steering column and plugged off the ports. Then there are two tubes going to the rack itself. I removed them, cut and flared one of them to connect the left and right power assist ports together. The last thing I did was fill the rack with power steering fluid, I laid the rack on the ground, with the fittings facing up, added oil, letting the bubbles come out. the put on the tube. Now as you steer, the oil travels back and forth from side to side, causing a dampener effect. Its hard to describe, but feel free to ask questions. I will try to help.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

I checked corral and stangnet, i was looking for a writeup with pics but found nothing. I am going to try this though cause i want to ditch the pump and lines to clean things up...If I screw it up i have an excuse to buy the over priced manual rack

What I did was disassemble the rack, I removed all the valving from the shaft that goes to the steering column and plugged off the ports. Then there are two tubes going to the rack itself. I removed them, cut and flared one of them to connect the left and right power assist ports together. The last thing I did was fill the rack with power steering fluid, I laid the rack on the ground, with the fittings facing up, added oil, letting the bubbles come out. the put on the tube. Now as you steer, the oil travels back and forth from side to side, causing a dampener effect. Its hard to describe, but feel free to ask questions. I will try to help.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by boostnut
He's right, if you're planning on using power steering with the stock rack & a gm pump. Here is the link to the fitting that will reduce the flow from 3gpm to 2gpm.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustan...isplayId=24682
thanks.. not really worried about running p/s but will look into that indeed
Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

rite on i over looked it as i pulled the stock motor out getting ready for the k member swap.. and i think i got it so as soon as out im sure ill be getting back at you. but i think i got you....thanks alot..
Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by johnyrrr
I checked corral and stangnet, i was looking for a writeup with pics but found nothing. I am going to try this though cause i want to ditch the pump and lines to clean things up...If I screw it up i have an excuse to buy the over priced manual rack
same here brother..
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

zipster has got some really good ideas, just look at his pic gallery
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by johnyrrr
zipster has got some really good ideas, just look at his pic gallery
Thanks for the compliment! I have always been this way because I am such a cheap bastard I cannot see spending big money on something I can build/make myself. Plus its a hotrodding thing, some people would not understand.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the compliment! I have always been this way because I am such a cheap bastard I cannot see spending big money on something I can build/make myself. Plus its a hotrodding thing, some people would not understand.
nice...thats how to do it
Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used stock kmember and rack. all you need is to buy the valve fitting.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigchief52780
i used stock kmember and rack. all you need is to buy the valve fitting.
what did you do for motor mounts????

Quick Reply: foxbody rack n pinion