LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Well its officially gone...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Well its officially gone...

Today I watched my old Formula begin a new chapter in its life. I took it for one last drive to my local shop to do a transmission fluid change and install a new axle seal for the new owner. I took the new owner for a ride to the local title place, laying into the throttle a few times and causing him to laugh and nod in approval at the beast of an LT1 car he had just purchased. He still hadn't driven it yet..I think he wants to experience it by himself so I won't laugh at his reaction the first time it gets away from him!

When it was all said and done we loaded it onto a trailer, which was only the 3rd time the car had ever seen a trailer, and I watched it head off to its new home. It's bittersweet, but it was time for the car to find a place where it would be used as it was designed. The new owner's got big plans for weight reduction, and is going to take it off the road making it a purpose-built drag car. Lightweight K member, A arms, battery relocation, !A/C, !P/S, !heat, are in the plans. I have a good feeling that the next time I see it it'll be clicking off mid 10s with ease.

Thanks alot to everyone here who helped and whom I've hoped I've helped. This place was instrumental in me keeping my sanity through an awful divorce a few years ago, and for that I'm eternally grateful. I'll still hang around and try to help, give advice, etc...I'll just live my car life through you guys for a while...Now, what to do with this empty bay in my garage? Mmmmmmmm...

--Alan
Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have been a true help and inspiration to me and the rest of the section!! Hope you stick around for when we need ya!!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks man I really appreciate it! Yeah, I'll be here, ain't going anywhere...Been fooling with these things for too long to just walk away cold turkey. I have a sneaking feeling that I'll still be a consultant for the new owner for future mods...lol. It'll be nice to finally help spend someone else's money.

--Alan
Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man it makes me think of when I sold my 88 IROC-Z. The guy came and loaded it onto a trailer and was off. It was a sad moment in my life seeing my first car go, especially after what all we went through and all the work i did to it. Cars become a major part of our hearts after some time
Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda like loosing a good woman, you aint IN love with her any more....but you do still love her.

I am on the brink of doing the same thing, aint looking forward to it at all. These cars are ALOT of hard work....but like you I want something different. I bought a 6 speed LS car and am having a ball with it, I will start doing HPDE/Solo with it soon.

You ever get down here lemme know.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always feel better if I sing "Happy trails" to it as it disappears down the driveway for the last time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwYcs...eature=related
Old 01-17-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at least it sounds like the new owner is worthy... Would suck to sell it some idiot that you know is gonna just go wrap it around a tree or something in a week... Or some 16 year old that will drive it 20k before doing an oil change... ect..

Last edited by hyperzone; 01-18-2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: TYPO
Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ABA383
Now, what to do with this empty bay in my garage? Mmmmmmmm...

--Alan
Hey man don't tease us like that-what're you getting into next?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

I feel your loss man.. Just remember the good times...
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just remember those good ole times when you'd stargaze with a girl with the t-tops off on a calm summer night
Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
Just remember those good ole times when you'd stargaze with a girl with the t-tops off on a calm summer night
Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
^^^BAHAHAHA Yeah right, thats some redneck **** thats happening in those third gens
Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Makes me think I should get rid of my car before I get too attached. I'm already on the fence about it because of all the time I spent on it and not getting results out of it. At least yours performed for you, and hopefully mine will too. I can't get rid of mine. Nevermind. I hope something new comes along for you to fill the void.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks everyone! David, As soon as I ever get time for a vacation I may take you up on that offer! As far as feeling a loss, not really...I felt worse having the damn thing sitting in my garage getting passed over daily as time and frankly desire just wasn't there anymore...

I know I took a huge hit financially, but we never make anything on these cars, it's always "how much are we gonna lose?" and is it worth it to sell it? Well, the new owner is a good guy who has owned a few fast C5s and wanted a purpose built drag car. Now he's got what he wanted. Like I posted earlier he's gonna pull some weight out and see what it'll do. My guess is he'll be firmly in the 10s with weight reduction and seat time..And I'm sure if I ask nice, I'll get a turn behind the wheel....maybe....and unfortunately I have no fond memories with the T-tops out...It was a hardtop car...

As far as what's next, I'm gonna take a year or so off of doing car stuff and focus on a few other projects going on...My Dad is keeping a tight grip on his 2003 Lingenfelter 383 Corvette A4..for now...I have looked at 2004-2006 Mercedes AMG E55s online and those things are just badass, period...Mrs. ABA383 would like a Shelby Cobra kit car, and I do have connections with a guy who builds some very nasty representations...My twist would be probably a 600hp LS something, or even LT something for power...to throw the Ford guys a curve... but for now I'll just sit back with a few bucks in the bank and enjoy doing other stuff...I'm sure that won't last long...

--Alan