General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help diagnosing a few problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help diagnosing a few problems?

Here lately my Camaro has been neglected a bit (irregular oil changes, driving frequently with low amounts of gas, etc.) due to the fact that I didn't have a job until just recently. Well now that I have the means to fix these problems I need to know where to start. I have 3 distinct things that have been bothering me that are unusual for my car. It would mean a lot if you guys could help me with any of these.

The first is there is a high pitch, almost supercharger sounding noise coming from the lower left side of the front of my car. I thought this was the AIR system at first, but it has never seemed this profound in noise. However, we've had a bout of really cold weather around here and I know that the AIR's purpose is to heat the catylitic converter so it's possible that it is working in overtime due to the weather.

The second has to do with my suspension, whenever I turn sharply at a moderate speed (something that's never been a problem before) it makes a really audible creaking noise. I don't know if this could be due to a lack of power steering fluid or a possible problem with my tie rods.

The last and possible the most concerning is that my oil pressure fluctuates a lot. It's somewhat difficult to explain the circumstances so I took a video and uploaded it to YouTube so you guys could check it out for yourselves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nds1Zj-sBA

I know some of these problems may be easy fixes, but you guys know more than me so any help is greatly appreciated .
Old 01-23-2011, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed temp was very cold, is the temp gauge working? if it is then oil pressure is low or oil been cold. not sure what fluctuation u talking about, but seems to be fluctuating with engine rpm which is normal. oil pressure seems to low at any rpm's. when was the last time you change the oil and oil filter?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

1. Check your underdrive pulley. The whining noise means a faulty bearing. Easy fix. Try spraying some WD40 or Silicone lubricant and it will go away.

2. Check your LCA bolts and check the rubber bearings. Those tend to go easily. Easy fix too.

3. The fluctuating oil pressure could be in the dial itself. Mine does it and one day while cruising the oil pressure suddenly dropped. I got scared, checked everything and then I just tapped the gauge...it went up again, just like that.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:13 AM
Launching!

Hi,
i would agree with cowboy and then hook-up an external gauge to verify pressures. 20w50 should help raise pressure........minimum at 1k rpm/6.0 #
2000 rpm 18#/4000 rpm/24#. I hope this helps you good luck -jim
Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

1) Is it when the engine is on or only when the car is moving?
2) Does the creaking happen when you turn the steering wheel or only when the car is turning. (With the steering wheel steady.)
3) How long has your oil filter been on the car?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

The temp gauge does start, that was just the first time I had driven the car all day so it was a cold start.

1.) It does it when the car starts cold and it seems to go away when the car warms up, and it doesn't do it when it's cold.

2.) It does it anytime the car is turning, until the steering wheel returns to neutral. It does this regardless of the temp of the car, but it seems less prevelant as the car reaches normal operating temp. It will creak and whine anytime the car turns almost as if there is something wrong with the front of the suspension. I'm going to add some power steering fluid and see if that helps any.

3.) It's been about 4,600 miles since I've changed either my oil or my filter. But I've been using synthetic oil for the last 25,000 miles. However it had dino oil used in it for the first 145,000 miles (my grandpa).
Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Mustang Killer
The temp gauge does start, that was just the first time I had driven the car all day so it was a cold start.

1.) It does it when the car starts cold and it seems to go away when the car warms up, and it doesn't do it when it's cold.
You mean it doesn't do it when its warm?

I'd suggest getting a mechanic's stethoscope and listening to your P/S pump. It could be mad at you. As the fluid warms up, the pump has to work less to circulate fluid in the system.

2.) It does it anytime the car is turning, until the steering wheel returns to neutral. It does this regardless of the temp of the car, but it seems less prevelant as the car reaches normal operating temp. It will creak and whine anytime the car turns almost as if there is something wrong with the front of the suspension. I'm going to add some power steering fluid and see if that helps any.
Could be the same issue as #1. Make sure your P/S pump is good first and then you can go from there.

3.) It's been about 4,600 miles since I've changed either my oil or my filter. But I've been using synthetic oil for the last 25,000 miles. However it had dino oil used in it for the first 145,000 miles (my grandpa).
Time for an oil change and a high quality filter. At 170K miles, you should be doing oil changes much more frequently. (Even with synthetic oil.) The metal parts are going to wear faster and contaminate the oil faster. 5000-7500K may be good for a new car, but not an older one. You should also be using 5W-30. If you are using a heavier weight oil, that could be another part of the problem. (10W-30 is only for warm weather in these cars.)
Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

1.) Sorry, that probably didn't make any kind of sense. I meant to say it doesn't do it when the car is off, it only makes the whistling noise when the car first turns on if it's cold and then it seems to go away as the car warms up. It isn't really causing any problems, the car drives fine, it's just kind of annoying when the car starts.

2.) Problem fixed! I added some power steering fluid and the car turns with no problems now and no unwanted noise.

3.) Yeah I figured it could probably use an oil change. I'll change it when I get the money. Probably stick with Pennzoil Ultra and AC Delco it's served me quite well in the past.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Teching In

I'd try the easyest things first, I'd seafoam it, then see where you are?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html
Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Save the manuals!

2.) Problem fixed! I added some power steering fluid and the car turns with no problems now and no unwanted noise.
Un-oh. Where is the P/S fluid going??? You should check your coolant reservoir and make sure it isn't in there.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dale Heitkamp
I'd try the easyest things first, I'd seafoam it, then see where you are?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html
I don't know what difference this makes, but I seafoamed it about 30,000 miles ago, though it probably wouldn't hurt to do it again.

I have no idea where it's going too, this is the first time I've ever had to add fluid to the reservoir. My coolant is pretty sludgy and it could use a flush, but that's because Valvoline mixed coolants with the Dex Cool a long time ago, back when I knew nothing about general maintenance.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Save the manuals!

What does your coolant dipstick look like? Does it look like an alien slimed it?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Like muddy water lol. I can take a picture if you would like .
Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Like muddy water lol. I can take a picture if you would like .
Would love to see it. Not sure if I would be lol if my coolant was like muddy water...
Old 01-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
Would love to see it. Not sure if I would be lol if my coolant was like muddy water...
It was a sarcastic lol haha. Anyway here's the pic.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Mother of God flush your radiator and coolant all out
Old 01-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Save the manuals!

O M G

That looks like diarrhea with peanut butter. Kind of like a Reces Peanut Butter Cup... but with no chocolate... and add in a lot of crap...

I think you'll need to do a couple of flushes so you can get clean enough fluid just to tell what kind of junk is floating around in it.

That really came from your car???