Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall without tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stall without tune?

I recently picked up a performabuilt 9.5" billet 2800-3200 torque converter. I want to install but won't be eble to get it tuned right away. How will it affect my driveability and reliability to run it without having my WS6 tuned imediatly after install? BTW.. my car has bolt ons only and stock 3:23 gears in it for now. Also have a small cam that I'm considering installin at the same time... but again can't aford the tune right now? Advise from ya'll would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

It will drive fine. You may or may not get a trans fault code bc of the excessive converter slip. The computer may deem this as a trans failure to shift and throw the trans into protect mode. When this happens you will only have 2nd and 3rd gear. A quick kill and restart will cure this. To avoid this condition while driving (if you have this problem) do not lay into the gas directly following a shift. The computer will think the shift did not occur from the rpm flare up of the converter. With the 3k, you should be good though, hopefully you wont have any of these problems.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

What about at idle? Will it have an issue idling due to weight difference between the stock one and 9.5" one that I have.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Immediately following the install absolutely yes. It can take up to 10 minutes idling and several trips around town for the computer to get the **** figured out. You reduced a huge amount of spinning weight and it will have to be compensated for.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Teching In

As stated above you should be fine. It wont effect the idle very much because the computer will adjust the airflow to get the idle correct. I wouldnt do any wot pulls until its tuned for it because the rpms may go a little higher and bounce off the rev limiter(highly unlikely but its possible). If you install the cam with it. depending on the specs it may be a pita idling but its definately doable for a bit until you can get a tune. and if you put the cam in i definately wouldnt do any wot pulls. With cams there less efficient at lower rpms and more efficient at higher rpms. so basically your over fueling them at idle which causes them not to want to idle. but when your at higher rpms they demand more fuel so without a tune they run lean and could burn something up.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Jus wanted to add that the cam I have is a tsp grind 220 220 581 581 112 LSA. On the small side, but my car is a DD. Lemme know if this changes any opinions
Old 01-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Restricted User

Do you have springs to go with the cam? If not than def do not put the cam in. And as far as a tune goes, it depends. I think you will have trouble with it bouncing off the rev limiter. With regular tune the stall was making it bounc off the rev limiter for some reason. A cuple people explained to me why it does that, but I can't remember why. Luckily I already had a computer tuned for my stall ready to go in afterwords and put it in and it was fine.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Teching In

With the lsa thats on that cam you would have some problems idling. it would idle but you may have to assist by keeping your foot on the gas when coming to stops and bla bla bla. and as stated before i wouldnt do any wide open throttle pulls. As for the stall bouncing off the rev limiter. The reason why it happens is the computer watches two things before shift. it waits for the rpms to be at a certain point and the mph to be at a certain point. with stall converters there less efficient at higher rpms. That being said when your wide open usually the rpms will go a little higher versus mph. So you hit the rpm value to shift but the computer still waits for the mph to be achieved before shifting. sometimes the rpms will go to high before reaching the correct mph. all you do is have to change the shift points in the computer to cure it.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In your case you should be fine for the time being... now if it were a 3600+ i would say yeah you need a tune. When i installed my 4k stall i could hardly drive it without a tune bc it kept throwing p0747 and that was not fun at all
Old 01-24-2011, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine was fine. Some people have trouble hitting the rev limiter, some don't
Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

I do of course have 600" lift springs and hardened 7.4 rods to go with cam at install. So Basically I'll have to help it idle and not go WOT but should drive ok. Thanks again guys
Old 01-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Restricted User

Yea you should be good to go than. As long as you get a tune later you should be good for awhile
Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Teching In

I guess I forgot to ask an important question with the torque converter. What is the stall torque ratio? The higher the number the less efficient the converter is at higher rpms. If its a 1.6 to a 2.0 you should be okay as far as bouncing off the rev limiter. If its in the 2.3 or higher range you might have a problem.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

It has a 2.1 STR. Guess that falls in the questionable range. Also jus to mention I do have a 24K gvw Tranny cooler to go with it at install
Old 01-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Id say do it. Drive fast, take chances....... Stall wise you should be okay. If you throw the cam in it just dont go wide open and be ready to give it a little gas when coming to a stop or idling. Should be fine for a bit tell you could pay for a tune. But I wouldnt procrastinate to long on a tune.

Quick Reply: Stall without tune?