Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

car will not power shift......HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car will not power shift......HELP!!!!!

Im ready to sale my 02 camaro.........i have put n a ls7 clutch,ls7 flywheel,tick master cylinder,new slave cylinder, just about everything dat could be changed.......for some reason when i try to powershift it grinds and wont go or if i go from a rolling start and punch it it wont shift at high rpm's.....i dont think its the tranny because it was fine before the slave cylinder went out.......please help asap
Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you bled the system through (or bench bled the MC)?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:06 PM

yea the shop did but i dont know bout the master cylinder......can you explain to me what you mean by that???
Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've never actually done it, just heard others talk about it. Basically, I think you just try to get the hydraulic fluid flowing through the master before you put it in the car.

I've also seen some people saying that it's not necessary and that it just takes a good gravity bleed. Either way, it sounds like you have clutch release issues based on your problems.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

bench bleeding is when you bleed the master cylinder before installed. it makes bleeding easier when the mc is in the car

you may need to adjust your tick mc, but i suggest you bleed the system a lot, and when you think your done bleed some more, and some more (make sure its not leaking anywhere)

after bleeding the **** out of it and it still won't shift try to adjust your tick mc

If that doesn't work then something is screwed up, like something installed wrong or it pooped out

Do you know what brand the slave cylinder is, the ac delco ones or other cheap brands are known to leak

Last edited by cleb; 01-25-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:49 PM

It's a cheap one I got from napa.......so ur telling me that I gotta take the trans back out and see if that slave cylinder is leaking?????

It's funny because before I installed the tick, the shop would bleed the clutch everyday and I will drive it but the next day I couldn't get it in no gear.......

By the way thanks for u all help......I'm learning alot from you all
Old 01-25-2011, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

I got the same set up and went through the same thing. LS7 clutch and Tick Master. The cheap Napa slave will not work with the Tick Master. I called Tick that day and asked what was going wrong (I had a cheap Advanced Auto slave cylinder) and they said its gotta be the GM slave. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:05 AM

Why is that though??????like what's the difference????lol
Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dmvsscamaro
It's a cheap one I got from napa.......so ur telling me that I gotta take the trans back out and see if that slave cylinder is leaking?????

It's funny because before I installed the tick, the shop would bleed the clutch everyday and I will drive it but the next day I couldn't get it in no gear.......

By the way thanks for u all help......I'm learning alot from you all
You don't have to drop the trans to see if it's leaking. If it's leaking it will be dripping out of the bellhousing. Pump the clutch pedal a lot and check for any fluid dripping. Or you could just check your clutch reservoir to see if it loses any brake fluid.

If you had to bleed the clutch everyday, then it sounds like you have a leak somewhere.

Last edited by cleb; 01-27-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dmvsscamaro
Why is that though??????like what's the difference????lol
I'm not sure what cjjones87 means when he says "it won't work." There is no reason why the slave wouldn't work with the tick mc. The only problem with the cheap slave cylinders is that they will fail prematurely and leak.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 PM

yea it works fine just when im up in the rpm's n trying to get a gear it dont want to go.......so are you saying you dont think its the slave?????? Cj Jones said that tick said it would work but it wont power shift....
Old 02-03-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CJJones87
I got the same set up and went through the same thing. LS7 clutch and Tick Master. The cheap Napa slave will not work with the Tick Master. I called Tick that day and asked what was going wrong (I had a cheap Advanced Auto slave cylinder) and they said its gotta be the GM slave. Hope this helps.

I have a Tick master and AA slave and it works fine with my Diamond Stage 2 clutch
Old 02-05-2011, 01:58 AM
12 Second Club

not sure if the MC has been modified buying from auto parts. my MC is from aftermarket and states modified by them. so no issue's there. sounds like u might have air in your system. rent a mighty vac. frm autozone and see if that helps.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:12 AM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-whats-up.html

I found a pic you can go to the posted forum, on the 3rd post has a pic . you can look at so you know where the bleeder is located.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:41 PM

Well I guess my best bet is to take it back down,put the gm slave n it,bleed it real good,and say a prayer.............wat yall think????lol
Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Very important to note, if the LS7 clutch was installed & broke in with a stock master it will not work with ANY master (modified stock or aftermarket) that pushes more fluid than the stock master. This issue has recently come to light for many of us that installed it when our stock master was working fine but now that it needs attention its a issue.

Its the adjustable pressure plate on the LS7 assembly. Once its adjusted to the stock master you have to remove the pressure plate, use a press to depress all the fingers & attempt to move the adjusters back to the new out of the box settings. Once the pressure plate is reset you can then install your modified or aftermarket master & proceed with bleeding & break in. But there is no guarentee that resetting the pressure plate will solve the issue.

If I had known at the time of purchase(4yrs ago) that this was goin to be a future issue, I would not have bought a LS7 clutch set-up. My advice to anyone lookin at one is avoid it & buy a clutch without a adjustable pressure plate.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ he speaks the truth its the pressure plate
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by therobman
^^ he speaks the truth its the pressure plate
ok good info but i may be in the same spot ... i have a 2004 c5 z16 zo6 ..
i had a speed shop put in a MONSTER STAGE 3 clutch with their slave cylinder... and that was 6mths ago... today i droped off my ride to get a transmision touch up with new synchros and steel forks.... and i am adding a TICK adjustable master cylinder ..with their one man bleeder line...
so does this mean that i cant add this master cylinder since i broke the clutch in with the stock master...?and wer does the one man bleeder line and up inside the car driver side right but were at? thanks fellas....?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

The Monster doesnt have a adjustable pressure plate, thats what screws everyone on the LS7 set-up. You should be just fine with the Monster & adding a Tick master. Its only a issue with adjustable pressure plates that have already been installed & driven with a stock master.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Very important to note, if the LS7 clutch was installed & broke in with a stock master it will not work with ANY master (modified stock or aftermarket) that pushes more fluid than the stock master. This issue has recently come to light for many of us that installed it when our stock master was working fine but now that it needs attention its a issue.
What if the situation was reversed? I originally broke in the LS7 clutch with a Tick Master, and now I am back to a stock master..Would this be the root of any issues?

Quick Reply: car will not power shift......HELP!!!!!