Q??? El Paso members-smog testing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Q??? El Paso members-smog testing?

I'm moving to El Paso this summer and need some info as to what type of smog testing is required. I have LG headers with ORP and was going to get their cats put on but does anyone know if this will pass there? otherwise am I stuck going back to factory manifolds? Also have a lethal cam that will get swapped for a stalker cam. thanks from Afghanistan!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is the state info that i found for Texas. El Paso does Emission Check. with no cats, the car wont pass. and even with HF Cats, its a high like hood it still wont pass.

Links:
DMV.org
Tx DPS
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)

Annual Inspections
"All cars in Texas undergo an annual safety inspection. Where mandated, an emissions inspection is added to this process.

There are several different types of emissions testing. Each county has decided which method or combination of methods it will employ (this map illustrates which counties do what).

The three smog inspection methods available are:

Two-speed idle (TSI)On-board diagnostic (OBDI)Acceleration simulation mode (ASM)The ASM and TSI methods are usually used only for older cars―those initially registered before about 1995, depending on county. The new standard is the OBDI testing, which downloads information from your vehicle's on-board diagnostic computer.

Detailed descriptions of how each method works, what it tests for, what the results mean, and rules for how the findings must be interpreted are included in the state's new emissions manuals."

Hope this helps...Good Luck at Bliss.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Launching!

I have HFC and I passed. Smog delete stuff will flunk you. Faulty anything sensor will flunk you. Put on the cats, make sure you have no codes, including history, all sensors are ready i.e. O2 sensor heaters etc and you'll be fine. Plenty of cars that are head n cammed cars etc pass here. If not..there are plenty of ways to pass your car
Old 01-29-2011, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

cool thanks for the info. Really didn't want to throw away mods.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
this is the state info that i found for Texas. El Paso does Emission Check. with no cats, the car wont pass. and even with HF Cats, its a high like hood it still wont pass.

Links:
DMV.org
Tx DPS
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)

Annual Inspections
"All cars in Texas undergo an annual safety inspection. Where mandated, an emissions inspection is added to this process.

There are several different types of emissions testing. Each county has decided which method or combination of methods it will employ (this map illustrates which counties do what).

The three smog inspection methods available are:

Two-speed idle (TSI)On-board diagnostic (OBDI)Acceleration simulation mode (ASM)The ASM and TSI methods are usually used only for older cars―those initially registered before about 1995, depending on county. The new standard is the OBDI testing, which downloads information from your vehicle's on-board diagnostic computer.

Detailed descriptions of how each method works, what it tests for, what the results mean, and rules for how the findings must be interpreted are included in the state's new emissions manuals."

Hope this helps...Good Luck at Bliss.
This is wrong man. As long as you have no codes you will pass. They do not do the smog testing here. If they did my car would be straght drag right now.lol. To the main post.. Nice power man, car must be really fast.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Hey Guys im in the same boat. Car is almost set up like yours Justin. Can you privately message me where you get your car inspected.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

hey justin, its fastfoordoor. OP, friends of friends will take you a long way. PM me before you get here. I had to ask a friend of a friend with my last my last car
Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info should be there next month.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

anything new on this? i got LTheaders and ORY pipe. everythings been tuned so no SES light or anything, but i so plan on running a bigger cam soon and not sure what they do here
Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Same question here for me as well. I don't have the hook up here like I did in hood or San Antonio. I know mine won't pass sniffer and I see plenty of gtos and mustangs running cat less exhaust with Texas plates and stickers I'm hoping there's a good spot here
Old 01-19-2014, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I lived there a few years ago they didn't sniff it. I had no cats and they just hook up for DTCs and the usual checks.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that there are probably no counties that sniff an OBDII car in Texas. I have had Denton and Tarrant county (North Texas) do a visual and look for cats.

Quick Reply: Q??? El Paso members-smog testing?